Skip to main content
Topic: 1988 Lazy Daze 27 ft. Mid Bath (Read 48 times) previous topic - next topic
1988 Lazy Daze 27 ft. Mid Bath
Yahoo Message Number: 153049
Considering this LD, The NADA and the Forum puts the value around $7K. How would you price this unit? Is it worth  $16K?.  new paint.  The remodel is not a restoration but more of an upgrade.  So everything is painted white inside, etc... It makes it look clean but it takes away from the originality.  Would this be something that will turn off future customers when im ready to sell?  Your thoughts?

DESC: motor home has been refurbished inside and out. Professionally painted two years ago. New upholstery, carpet and paint inside(1 yr). Brand new tires. Roof air conditioning, and refridgerator serviced last year. New microwave oven. New chassis air conditioning  460 ci Ford, C6 transmission. . Onan 4KV generator . Roof is in good condition. No visable current leaks. All appliances work, no plumbing leaks. 81,000 miles.

Re: 1988 Lazy Daze 27 ft. Mid Bath
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 153050
"Considering this LD........ 460 ci Ford, C6 transmission"

mkhorashadi

460s are well known for warped exhaust manifolds, when used for towing or RV usage.
Make sure the exhaust manifold's mounting hardware is all intact. Warped manifolds with shear off the bolts. If this is the case, manifold replacement is the only cure.
It has throttle body fuel injection, a primitive version of the fuel injection all engines have today.

The C6 transmission is an older 3-speed, without an overdrive gear so expect lower mileage (1-3 MPG) than what a later, 4-speed transmission would provide.
You definitely should have the mechanicals checked by a good, preferably older mechanic, who has experience with vintage drivelines. This is definitely old school equipment.

Since you are looking at a near thirty year old LD, I wouldn't be too worried about a potential resale. At that age, condition is everything.
Many older LDs have been repainted and if done cleanly, can enhance the value. It is something you can redo, if desired.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 153052
Having owned several older RV's (never bought new) I would be hesitant to get something this old. You will find that some of the parts are no longer made forcing you to reinvent the wheel so to speak. Lazy Daze may not have some replacement stuff you need. Consider spending a little more if your budget allows and get something never. IMO you can pay more now, or continue paying a lot more in the future. Whichever way you decide wish you good luck in your hunt. It can be tedious, and sometimes dumb luck plays a part.

bobmoore14

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 153053
"If you had this setup would you consider an aftermarket option on the tranny? Gearvendors overdrive.

Sure, an overdrive is a good addition for a 3-speed transmission. They are not cheap and require a new driveshaft or the old one will need to be shortened at a driveshaft shop.
I doubt if the overdrive would every pay for itself unless you drive a lot more miles per years than the average RV owner (7000-8000 miles).
You best bet may be to drive this rig for a few years, making sure you like the lifestyle and then upgrade to a newer model with a V10 and overdrive transmission. The later model E450 chassis is superior to any of the older ones Ford or Chevy.

Larry
Larry

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 153054
My wife and I bought a 1989 Lazy Daze RB for our daughter and her family quite a few years ago, not taking into consideration that their family included four kids. Although mechanically as well the exterior and interior of this unit, on an E350 chassis, were in excellent shape, they always traveled overloaded. In addition, when traveling together with them with our 2001 Lazy Daze MB, on an E450 chassis, we had to make frequent stops as a result of their restricted fuel capacity.

When we realized our mistake, we fortunately were able to exchange their unit for a 1999 Lazy Daze RB on a E450 chassis. Thereafter we have traveled together quite a few long-distance trips, including cross-country ones, which made it so much more pleasant. Needless to say that the mistake cost us money. However, the fact that they traveled safely was worth it.

When I read about a 1988 Lazy Daze, I had to bring this up, so others can learn from this.

Aad Rommelse.
2001 MB

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 153055
"When we realized our mistake, we fortunately were able to exchange their unit for a 1999 Lazy Daze RB on a E450 chassis. Thereafter we have traveled together quite a few long-distance trips, including cross-country ones, which made it so much more pleasant. Needless to say that the mistake cost us money. However, the fact that they traveled safely was worth it."

Besides the fuel range, is there a noticeable difference on the stability , performance, and safety? would an early 1990's model have the same issue as this 88?

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 153056
"My wife and I bought a 1989 Lazy Daze RB for our daughter and her family quite a few years ago, they always traveled overloaded...... we had to make frequent stops as a result of their restricted fuel capacity."

Aad

Good point.

Pre-1996 Fords were all built with a 11.500-lbs GVW, including the 26.5" models.
Just about every pre-1996 26.5' model I have looked at was overloaded, so I would avoid the 26.5's models and concentrate on the 22' and 23.5' models.
In 1996, Ford increase the GVW for the 26.6' models to 14,050-lbs,  a major improvement eliminating the overloading problem. They were called the E350 Super Duty, eventually changing to the plain E450.
The 23.5' models received the 14,050 GVW in 2003 (E450).

In the older LDs, various fuel tank capacities were offered. The larger 50+ gallons tanks are almost a necessity when traveling the West, where towns and gas stations can be widely scattered. The small 30-gallon tanks require very frequent fueling, especially on the older rigs, which got poorer gas mileage.

Details on each year's model's specifications can be found here on Andy's guide
 http://www.andybaird.com/travels/LD-guide-web/changes.htm

Larry
Larry

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 153057
"Details on each year's model's specifications can be found here on Andy's guide."

Unfortunately, I don't know in what year the 50-gallon tank became standard. Can anybody tell me, so that I can add that information to the Guide?

Andy Baird
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 153058
Since our 2001 LD MB is in storage, as a result of recent knee replacement surgery, I can not verify this. However, somewhere I recall that our fuel capacity is 55 gallons in lieu of 50 gallons. Am I correct or wrong?

Aad
2001 MB

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 153117
Sorry to chime in so late...

I bought a 1988 Lazy Daze three years ago. It's a 26.5' Rear Bath model. Had about 40K miles on it... and spent it's life in Northern California (so no rust or anything). I paid $10,500 for it.

I've taken it to festivals in the mountains and in the desert (Burning Man) since and it has always performed like a champ. The only things I've needed to do is get the generator serviced, replace the swamp cooler, and had the cab air-conditioning worked on. Also put new tires on it a few years ago.

This RV is super well-designed... and is completely safe and comfortable. I know RVs can get crusty with age, but in this case I totally lucked out.

Seems like the price you're paying is high unless they repainted the exterior (properly) as the paint does oxidize with age and getting it painted (again, properly here is the key) is pretty expensive.

I hope this helps!

-John 1988 LD - 26.5' RB