Skip to main content
Topic: Cost estimate for new engine? (Read 26 times) previous topic - next topic
Cost estimate for new engine?
Yahoo Message Number: 153038
That should cover the engine only. At that many miles put aside for alternator , break components, steering components like ball joints, bushings, etc.  This is like putting a new heart in an 80 year old person in great shape. The replacement of the engine will not take away the shocks a vehicle takes at 2000k miles. Just my 2 cents . I have considered the same Rv you are thinking about.  Either buy it and wait for thing to go , then fix.   Or fix everything that could have wear and tear and enjoy the trailer. Resale at a higher miles will also become an issue .  How easy will it be if you want to sell this with a fresh engine with 250k miles.

You may get lucky and this thing would not need anything for years to come and it will be the best deal you have picked up.
One can only look back and see if a good decision was made.

Re: Cost estimate for new engine?
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 153039
Added note: I had a qoute for a V10 rebuild at $3800 over the phone.  I would put aside another $1000 just in case they can not rebuild the core.

The fact that the RV lasted this long its a testament to how well the RV is built and how well the Owners have maintained the RV.  So if you hit an issue its not the fault of the prior owners.
Just keep these things in mind and make and educated decision based on how much risk you can tolerate.  The good part is that the owners of the RV has discounted the price.  It the same RV had 40K miles on it it will sell maybe around 15-16K.

200K miles @ 50 MPH  =  4000 operations hours.  Every thing that rotates and spins has that many hours on it.  It also means that is how  many ours one person has stayed inside the RV.
Then add the hours the coach stayed put and per person lived in it.

The cost factor is when you have to do a $1500 repair on the engine.  Do you want to spend that much money on an engine that has 200K on it or you go the extra distance to do a complete rebuild.  It depends on how fast or slow you want to peel the bandae off .

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 153040
Very good points.  Thank you for your input and points to consider.  I do have a figure in mind that I would be comfortable with taking on the risk so if it is meant to be, it will happen.  And as you mention, I always think about what will it take for me to sell it?

Cheers

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 153045
Personally, if the engine checks out, why       replace it? I would run it until something major happens. That's       just me though. Check out the Ford Truck EnthusiastsForum. That group is quite knowledgeable on Ford motors,     including the V10. My V10 has 115K on it, and I don't hesitate on     taking it anywhere. It all depends on how well the motor has been     taken care of, namely oil changes on time.

YMMV.
Chuck Myers 97RB Hartford IA
1997 RB