Skip to main content
Topic: Engine heat in cab and indexing these posts (Read 27 times) previous topic - next topic
Engine heat in cab and indexing these posts
Yahoo Message Number: 153009
I'm trying to locate a post that had to do with heat from the engine making its way into the cab on long trips. The heat is coming in around the normal vents which makes us have to turn on the A/C even when it's not that hot out. Someone had posted a solution to this and I've spent a long time trying to find it. Can anyone help?

Second question: thinking about all the hours I've spend sitting and looking for a post that I saw in the past, I wonder how hard it would be to index these thousands of posts. Many of them contain great helpful hints and they would be great if they were easier to locate. Has anyone thought of how this could be done?

Thanks in advance, Ray '97 TK
2003 MB
Formerly 1997 TK

Re: Engine heat in cab and indexing these posts
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 153010
Go to the Yahoo Techsnoz group run by Terry. Check the files section. There is a piece of insulation in the engine compartment located on the firewall that rots out. I have the same problem.

bobmoore14

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 153013
Ray, the Techsnoz blog is a good place to start. And don't forget the Lazy Daze Companion as a search tool.
IMHO it would be most difficult to index all the topics discussed over 13 or so years. I would welcome anyone's ideas about how to do that. But considering how difficult Yahoo groups is to work with, I don't think there is an easy way. Generally, when someone is trying to find a past topic and can't locate it by a word/topic search, just posting about it rattles someone's memory and soon the message is found.

Chris
 The Lazy Daze Companion
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 153014
Ray, go to message 96692 and read the message thread there.

Chris

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 153017
In a message dated 5/25/2015 3:41:09 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,  lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com writes:
Go to    the Yahoo Techsnoz group run by Terry. Check the files section. There is    a piece of insulation in the engine compartment located on the firewall that    rots out. I have the same problem.

Me too.  Escondido,  CA  John  2003 MB,  26.5
John in Escondido,  CA

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 153034
Heat entering the cab is common problem.
Many times, the doghouse isn't correctly seated and getting it so can take a lot of effort.
LD uses the Factory doghouse and adds carpeting to it and the floor. The result can be a super tight fit that is beyond the capacity of many to kick back into place or the mechanic doesn't take the time needed to properly seat it.

In a few cases, I have found the insulation, inside the engine bay and lining the inside of the doghouse, to be missing, usually removed by a mischievous rodent, many times using the insulation to build a nest on top of the engine. If the area can be accessed, the missing insulation can be replaced.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/the-14100-50?seid=srese1&gclid=CjwKEAjws5CrBRD8ze702_2dyjYSJAAAJK9ysf0qw-xsfACygg4Jnu9Vyq_r6xKRF-YdvbVETLH8QxoCiX3w_wcB http://www.summitracing.com/search/product-line/thermo-tec-heavy-duty-spray-adhesive?SortBy=Default&SortOrder=Ascending&tw=spray%20adhesive&sw=Thermo-Tec%20Heavy%20Duty%20Spray%20Adhesive

Another source of irritation is hot vent air. Our 2003 LD has done this since new and I have never determined if it is normal or there is an air leak in the under-dash ducting.
We solve the issue by running the A/C and blending warm air in to provide a comfortable temperature.

As for indexing the forum, good luck with sorting through the 153,000 messages.
The Companion has a lot of information. Too bad the Yahoo search function isn't better but what do you expect for free?

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 153035
"We solve the issue by running the A/C and blending warm air in to provide a comfortable temperature."

Barring any fix (there doesn't seem to be one), this is a great tip. Thanks, Larry.

Chris

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 153043
Larry,

I am glad to see the comments on the heat in the cab.  In our travels in cooler weather, my wife needs the heat on more than I do and, I become very warm when it seems to be comfortable for her on the passenger side of our 26.5 04 MB.  I have addressed the situation by blocking off the duct that directs heat to the driver side just above and to the right of the accelerator petal.  I have not seen anything that suggests this creates a problem.  I would be interested in your opinion about this solution.

It seems to me that with the duct blocked off, the warm air would simply be diverted or forced to flow through the other vent or vents.  With more flow to the other vents the heat setting should be able to be lower.

Jim NC

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 153046
Thanks all for the input. I'll have to start fiddling around a bit more. As for indexing, it's so nice to rely on the collective memory, I just hope folks don't get tired of the repetition...
Ray
2003 MB
Formerly 1997 TK