Skip to main content
Topic: "Confidential Document" (Read 23 times) previous topic - next topic
"Confidential Document"
Yahoo Message Number: 152919
Did I just do something stupid (achoo...I thought I covered...now I need to wash my hands)?  I tried to open the post from "Ron Schwartz," got lost somewhere out in the Google Cloud (I've not been there before), came back to ask send a question/reply, & it now says that post is unavailable...am I now infected with something unknown? ...has the site been hacked?  I don't open unknowns in my regular email, but thought this was pre-approved/safe.  Thoughts on how to tell on my MacBook Pro if I've followed a rabbit I shouldn't have, how to fix it, & how to keep from sharing a bug with others?

Thx

Lynne LDy Lulubelle '05 31' TB Lilly, 4-legged Alarm
Lynne
LDy Lulubelle, Green '05 31' TB
Lilly, the 4-Legged Alarm

Re: "Confidential Document"
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 152922
Lynne, I don't think you do anything 'bad' to your machine.  Of course without screen shot of what exactly you did nobody can give 'prefect' advice on what has happened to you.
 Generally a MacBook Pro is immune to most all  computer virus because it so small an attack surface.  Things to kept in mind for future security --
1. Never run in admin mode as a user. The reason is if you get a virus it can only run in the user mode that you are in.

2. Encypt your hard drive. Use FileVault to encrypt the startup disk on your Mac - Apple Support    If you computer give stolen or lost nobody will be able to read the data on your hard drive.

3. Use a password manager like 1Password 1Password    Password managers allow you to have very secure  passwords.  I'm a fan on 1Password because I  only have to remember one master password.
4. Never open an attachment in email unless you asked for it.
5. Chrome (at this point in time) the safest and fastest web browser.  In the real world there is no 100% safe method to open your machine to Interent.

6. Google Cloud is just a hard disk stored on a Google server someplace out there.   Its never safer or more dangerous then user setting up the drive.

Glen

personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Re: "Confidential Document"
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 152931
Lynne, you should be OK. This "site" has not been hacked. The poster's email was most likely hijacked and that's how the hijacker wound up on our LD forum. These posts show up now and then and we will try to delete them as quickly as they are identified. You have received some good advice already. I just turned on File Vault on my MacBook Pro.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB