Skip to main content
Topic: Toad help. Thinking about a Forester (Read 18 times) previous topic - next topic
Toad help. Thinking about a Forester
Yahoo Message Number: 152801
My MINI is very long in the tooth and I am reconsidering making it a toad.  Repairs are just to costly.  The car (an 06 and now with 110k miles) has been a good car and I will miss the handling, quirky looks and community.  I need a reliable daily driver to replace this car.

I am moving on.  My wife purchased a Subie Forester last August.  I  find much to like about the car.  Unfortunately this is my wife's car and also an automatic.   I can't modify it to tow behind the LD and even if I could I would not be able to take it with me when I go solo as the wife will be working full time for a few more years.

The dealerships have all CVT cars.  I read that Andy has a Forester and maybe some other here too.  I can not test drive a standard trans Subie in this area.  I am wondering how the shifter falls to hand.  Are the shift throws long?  Did you order a base car or the Premium.   If you ordered the base did are the seat adjustments electric?   I am considering a larger MINI (the two door) or maybe an old Jeep (yj).

This car will be my daily driver, but I am retired.  I put 4k miles on the MINI last year driving around town.  Long trips are now in the Lazy Daze or the wife's Subie.   I will miss the MINI's handling and living on the east coast will not be venturing off in the wilds so much as someone living further west (even if they are east of the Mississippi).  But I am not auto crossing (a form of racing) and if I miss motoring too much I could get an old Brit car from the 60's or a first or second generation Miata for the back road pleasures - they or a old JEEP would be towable, and fun to work on with mostly simple tools.  That would be a third car that would not be needed for an emergency trip to the daughter in grad school, a trip to the vet or other such thing.

I am looking for a daily driver that is towable.

Your thoughts are welcome, John
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Re: Toad help. Thinking about a Forester
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 152807
I have a base 2011 Forester.  I have no idea if the throws are long.  They feel comfortable to me.  The seat adjustments are not electric.  Personally, I am VERY happy with it.

Ken F in OR
'08 MB

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 152812
John

We bought a 2015 Forester last May. It's a CVT but I did drive a couple manual transmissions car and liked the way they it felt. Being its her car, the 6-speed was a not was not going to happen.
The manual feels much more normal than the CVT, which I don't care for much. Even with the optional turbo, it limits driving it in a sporty manner. The 6-speed improves the driving experience but reduces the MPG, The CVT does get significantly better mileage, the reason they are becoming widespread.
The Forester isthe most stable and accurate steering car we have owned, the car you want to be if caught in unexpected bad weather, the all-wheel drive and brakes work well in slippery conditions.
Andy will have a much better impression of the manual.

As for Jeep CJs, you are looking at 20+ year old machine with the old, hard riding leaf spring suspension.
The next series, the TJ has a coil spring suspension and is extensively covered by the aftermarket. This would my Jeep of choice.
Since you are OK with manual transmissions, the Forester would be a better choice for your driving needs. Even if you make out West someday, the Forester sits high enough to explore many back roads. It will probably go places that you won't.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 152814
Larry and Ken Exactly the feedback I was looking for.
Thanks John

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 152820
John, as you know, the Honda CR-V has been very popular to tow. How 'bout a low mileage used one?

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 152821
John, for what it's worth, I have a 2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Premium with a 6-speed manual transmission. Despite the "Premium" tag, this is one of their lower-level models, although it's not the absolute base model. (Subaru's product lineup is shown here; mine is the second lowest of six Forester models.)

The shift throws feel fine to me--not significantly different from my 1995 Honda Accord or Honda 2009 Fit, aside from the fact that there are more gears to shift through.

The driver's seat is electrically adjustable in just about every way imaginable. In addition, both driver's and passenger's seats are electrically heated, with a choice of two levels of heat. I chose the auto-dimming rear view mirror option, and have been very happy with it.

All in all, it's an excellent car and I'm very happy with it. As you may know, the Forester gets top marks for collision safety in the light-SUV category. That said, Honda's CR-V is also a fine car and a good toad, and if your budget would be strained by a new car, I second Chris's suggestion to consider a used, towable CR-V. But at least as of last year when I did my comparison shopping, reviewers generally agreed that the Forester was the best vehicle in the light-SUV category... so if you're buying new, that would be my first recommendation.

Andy
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 152822
I have a 2015 Subaru Forester 2.5i manual transmission. Absolute base model, no electric seats, no power mirrors, no moonroof, no roof racks. Runs great, fun to drive. Shifting is not as tight or short throw as my acura TL, but still tight. It seems to be a slightly "busier" transmission than the Acura, I can't run out the gears as far. The shift lever throw is not too long, but longer than the Acura.

I installed Yakima racks with the big basket on the roof, Works great and looks good. Roadmaster tow bar brackets, SMI brake controller. The car tows easily. I eventually want a Jeep, but this will suit my need just fine until then.

Overall I love the car.
2003 23.5' Front Dinette

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 152828
Thanks everyone.  If I get a new car, it will likely be a new Forester, most likely base with a very few options.  I am fortunate in that I can afford the car and afford the time to wait for car optioned as I want it.  I may wait until the 16's come out to see if Blue Ox does a special on that model year.