Skip to main content
Topic: Read Propane Tank Guage? (Read 23 times) previous topic - next topic
Read Propane Tank Guage?
Yahoo Message Number: 152771
I noticed my LED propene gauge on the monitor panel read empty. There should be at least a half tank. I have never read the dial guage on the tank, but don't know what i should see. I can read the dial values just fine, but i don't see a pointer. I've used my cell phobe camera to look at the lower area, but stll no pointer. Am i missing something?

Dale - 2005 FL

Re: Read Propane Tank Guage?
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 152908
Presumably the pointer is below 'empty', which would be hidden by the gauge sender. Most likely explanation is your tank IS empty - you probably had a leak. If your nose is Mercaptan-sensitive, and most are, and you don't smell it, it is probably safe to run a propane appliance to find out. Best choice would be something on the opposite side of the rig from the propane tank. Any doubts about diagnosing this, have an expert do it.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 152911
Do you have a propane leak detector? If not you should get one. Cheap, easy to install, and could save your life.

bobmoore14

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 152912
Steve, your were right about the tank gauge. I filled the tank yesterday (80% full), and now the tank gauge shows 3/4 full. The interior panel LEDs are registering near full (full indicator is on most of the time, so it looks like my gauge and LED readout work as they should.

Bob, I do have a detector. It is well within its expected lifespan, and it has not detected a problem. I don't have a hand-held propane detector, and I don't know if there are any decent ones on the market for a reasonable price. It would be a good tool to have. If anyone can suggest one, I'd appreciate it. Otherwise, I will make an appointment after the holiday with one of our local RV service shops for a fix.

Thanks for your responses.

Dale

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 152913
"I don't have a hand-held propane detector, and I don't know if there are any decent ones on the market for a reasonable price. It would be a good tool to have."

I've tried two different brands, but neither seemed very useful (= sensitive).

Andy Baird
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 152914
That's what I thought might be the case, Andy. I didn't see any affordable ones on Amazon with consistently good reviews.

Dale

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 152915
Larry had a leak from a failed regulator at night while camped, didn't smell anything, but he and his wife awoke with headaches. The LP detector never alarmed, because the leak was outside and the gas came in through an open vent, not settling to the floor.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 152916
"Larry had a leak from a failed regulator at night while camped, didn't smell anything, but he and his wife awoke with headaches. The LP detector never alarmed, because the leak was outside and the gas came in through an open vent, not settling to the floor.

It was terrible experience. The pressure regulator's diaphragm developed a big leak and release gas all night, It was breezy summer night at Twin Lake, in the Eastern Sierra. The gas came in through an open cab window and continued out through the escape hatch, up in the bunk where we were sleeping. Neither of us noticed anything until the morning when we both woke with bad headaches that lasted for several hours. My sinuses were irritated for a week of more afterward.
Never heard  a peep from the two year old detector, which  tests OK. Later, I tested it with a little raw propane and it responded as it should. The propane never built up to a high enough concentration, at floor level, to activate the detector.

The cause of failed regulator is somewhat unknown. The day before we had the propane tank filled at a fishing resort. They were busy filling large, 50-gallon propane tanks, used to heat cabins surrounding the lake.
When our LD's propane tank was filled, it took about 30 seconds to pump 8 gallon in, several times faster than I had ever seen the tank filled before.
That night the regulator died. Good chance the tank was overfilled or pressurized during the filling process and damaged the less than a year old regulator..
Not sure what we could have done to prevent this problem.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 152923
Larry, thanks for sharing the detail of that awful expierence. My suspected leak is avery slow one, but when I opened the door to get in, I get a wiff of propane odor. I can also then smelled it over the stove, especially over one of the burner valves. I had already removed the cover over the burner cavity and all three burners to minimize the the propane spread.

The propane has been on for about 2 1/2 continuous days with no intended usage. This morning I checked the propane levels at the tank gauge, and found they had dropped below 3/4 full (nearly a gallon loss). The inside LEDs are now solid on 2/3 full, confirming the loss. But there is a new development. I could not smell propane when I opened the door. The stair well was odor free. No strong odor around the burner valves either.

I'm going to remove the propane detector, extend the 12V cable to it, and place it in the lowest point of the stair well.  That is the lowest interior point where any leaked propane should pool. then close the door, windows and vents, and wait to see if the detector goes off. I will watch the gauge for a telltale drop over the next two days.

Maybe my nose has become desensitized, but this test should at least tell me if the leak has self-cured.

Dale
 On Saturday, May 23, 2015,  [lifewithalazydazerv] lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 152924
Dale, I know Larry has a tool to check for propane leaks. I think it's called a manometer. He found the leak in my stove using it. Had to tighten a fitting on the supply line to stove to correct. This was a couple years ago, no problems since.

bobmoore14

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 152927
On May 23, 2015, at 1:07 PM,  [lifewithalazydazerv]  wrote:

Dale, I know Larry has a tool to check for propane leaks. I think it's called a manometer. He found the leak in my stove using it. Had to tighten a fitting on the supply line to stove to correct. This was a couple years ago, no problems since.

Good point, Bob. The manometer measures pressure or vacuum, so you open the supply line at some point, connect a fitting between the supply line and manometer, and watch for a pressure loss. Today's testers are smaller and easier to use, but not cheap.  You also need to have a variety of fittings to match what you might encounter. But it leads to a good question for anyone I call on for repair: "What do you use find propane leaks?"

Dale

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 152928
Dale, Yes that is correct. He had some kind of a solution better than soap and water to detect source of leak. It was on the junction going to the Wave 3 heater coupling and stove. My detector never went off. At the time I figured it was defective due to being 12 years old. I replaced it but now am doubting the function of these propane detectors in general.

Another time I was driving and smelled propane. Fearing I was in a rolling bomb pulled over and closed the tank valve. Later found that there was an overhead cabinet that didn't get closed all the way and something feel out striking one of the burner knobs. It had turned on a little and again my detector never went off. A problem of my own making.

bobmoore14

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 152929
Very easy to make a manometer Dale and easy to hook up at the stove.

This is the quickest Google hit I saw. But it is the same method I have seen pros use. And don't let the simple gage fool you it relies on physics and is indeed what we used to calibrate gages with.

Manometer
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnlfQK-8qy4

Using it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRubt1b6-cA

This is the same method the propane supplier used before he would hook up to my home fireplace..

Garry

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 152930
If you do find you have a leak this won't help you find the source but that is a simple divide and conquer process or turn over to a pro to isolate.

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 152932
Larry, Did you have the valve at the tank shut off during the filling process? I have noticed that many places where I have our tank filled the attendants no longer shut off the tank valve citing the automatic shutoff on their system. I questioned the propane delivery driver at our resort and he said their company policy is to always close the tank valve when servicing with propane. The reason given is that there is a possibility of liquid propane surging  under pressure getting past the 20% pickup and being forced into the regulator during the filling process and damaging the the diaphragm. Consequently now for years I close my valve no matter what the attendant says.

John

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 152934
"He had some kind of a solution better than soap and water to detect source of leak." --- Larry recommended Rectorseal "Better Bubble" gas leak detector fluid a few years ago; it's thick and stays on a fitting. The product's "staying power" and larger bubbles allow detection of even a slow, very small leak that might not show under a more runny fluid.

http://www.amazon.com/Rectorseal-65554-8-Ounce-Bottle-Locator/dp/B002YFHXY0

Joan
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 152936
Great responses, folks!

Garry, I loved the YouTube videos on the home-made manometer. It took me back decades ago when I used them at IBM -- except they were about 4 feet long. The usage video didn't mention where he connected the tube, but it has to be one of the burner valve orifices, with that valve open. That would both verify the leak's existence, as well as verify the fix. I like it. Gonna make one.

Joan, thanks for the specific fluid information.  I had already given up on "soapy water", but a thicker, colored fluid with staying power is great. I did look at them on Amazon, but it's better to have a good recommendation. I ordered the same fluid in the spritzer bottle. I didn't have any spray bottles available. It will be here by Thursday.

I'll post any progress I make. And thanks!

Dale

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 152937
I made one similar to the video a few years back.  Since we have a propane quick-disconnect for our Wave 3, I just bought the mating end and connected it to the manometer tubing.  Fill the manometer, plug it into the disconnect, open the valve to the disconnect, and  then turn off the main tank valve.  After several hours of no change I concluded all was well.

Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 152940
Art, where in the propane distribution did you put the quick-disconnect?  I assume it is easily accessed inside for the Wave-3. Also, do you use the Wave-3 to augment the furnace? Or as a stand-alone heat source without the furnace operating? I have a cat heater that is fine whenever I'm in a campground and plugged in, but I prefer boondocking in NFs or BLM land most of the time..

I don't like the furnace operation during the night, since my head is inches away from the blower. It will sometimes wake me, and once awake, I don't go back to sleep easily.

Dale

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 152941
Here's a suggestion for leak detection fluid: use any soap or detergent solution, and mix in a few ounces of glycerin (available at almost any drug store). The glycerin will thicken the mix and greatly slow down evaporation.

Andy Baird
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 152942
Dale, I can't comment on Art's Wave 3 but my quick disconnect was installed in the wood façade below the oven. I use a 5 foot flexible hose on the Wave to move it around as needed. It is mounted on somewhat flimsy legs provided by with the install kit. I'm with you on not running the furnace, it's loud, woofs propane and very inefficient. When on an unmetered electrical hookup I run a cheap $15 electric space heater. Either is good down to about 32 degrees. If colder I use a down comforter to help. I like the Wave, it's quiet, uses no electricity, and easy to store in my lower cabinet. Doesn't use a lot of propane.

bobmoore14

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 152943
My fluid order has already been shipped from Amazon. But I won't get it until Tuesday, so I will probably pick up som glycerin tomorrow and try it. Thanks, Andy!  I'm thinking about adding a small amount of food coloring to the mix to make it easier for my old eyes to see.

Dale

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 152944
In our MB I installed the Q-D just below the oven near the drawer below the fridge.  The propane line to the stove had a tee added and a line run over to the Q-D with a shut-off valve behind the Q-D.  I pull out the drawer when I want to turn the valve on/off for the Q-D.  We mostly use the cat heater for supplemental heat when boondocking in cool damp weather.  The Wave 3 is often set behind the driver's seat pointing under the dinette where we tend to spend a lot of time (with the escape hatch cracked open).

HTH, Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 152947
To answer a few questions.

The propane tank's was not shut off when the tank was filled, my mistake. It had never been a problem in the past but it might have been in this case. Now, the valve is definitely shut off during filling.

I used a DIY manometer, like the one one shown in a previous posting, for many years. Now I'm using a small, portable manomerter and have no complaints. I needed something small enough that it could be used for measure resistance or pressure drop in a engine's air intake system. Another long term project. Testing for the correct propane pressure (11 inches of water) should be done periodically, yearly perhaps.
Manometer http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N3PPZZY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For  finding propane leaks, I have had good results with the product below. It stays wet. allowing bubbles to form over many hours, great for finding very small leaks. I have found leaks that formed overnight with it. Get it at Home Depot.
Rectorseal "Better Bubble" gas leak detector fluid.
 http://www.amazon.com/Rectorseal-65554-8-Ounce-Bottle-Locator/dp/B002YFHXY0

Larry
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze