Skip to main content
Topic: Microwave replacement (Read 96 times) previous topic - next topic
Microwave replacement
Yahoo Message Number: 152724
The microwave in my 2005 FL failed catastrophically during the past week. The model, Dometic DCMW11B.F, is no longer available. Newer LD's use a High Pointe model that won't fit the opening without modification to the cabinets.

Has anyone done the same replacement?  Or know of another microwave that would fit?

Dale

Re: Microwave replacement
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 152732
Oh boy. . . . I put the wrong model number in my email!  The failed one is: COMW12B.  I checked the size of the one you found, but it won't fit the cavity.  I did check on Amazon, but none of those that I found will fit.

Sorry for my miscue.

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 152733
I think the part # should be CDMW12B.  The only thing I found as a possible replacement is: Advent MW912BWDK Black Built-in Microwave Oven, 0.9 cu.ft. capacity, 900 watts of cooking power and 10 adjustable power levels let you boil, reheat, defrost and more, with Wide Trim Kit  
Art
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Roof Vent Sealant
Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 152734
I am getting ready to replace the swamp cooler on my '91 TK with a MaxxAir fan and was wondering what sealant to use. I have the butyl caulk ready to go, but for the edge sealing will Sikaflex 505UV work (I have some) or should I get the Dicor lapsealant or a different Sikaflex product.

Thanks, Jay

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 152735
Dale,

I have the same year rig and probably the same model microwave.  I've had it out a few times, once to replace an internal fuse.  The only problem with it now is that some of the display have intermittent number segments.  I tap on it to make them light up.  Frankly I should be replacing it.

As you may know, it is actually made by LG and having seen the inside there is nothing in it that makes especially suitable for an RV.  So, any household microwave, made by anyone, with similar outside dimensions would do.  You do want to make sure the wattage is not excessive (i.e. no more than 1500 Watts) so as not to tax your 15 Amp power circuit.

Pull out the old microwave, measure it, and measure the cavity to fully understand the size constraints.  If you wanted check out LGs here is a *SAMPLE*:

http://www.lg.com/us/microwave-ovens/lg-LCS1413SB-countertop-microwave

If you click on the TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS tab, you will see it's outside dimensions are 21 7/8" x 12 1/2" x 16 5/16".  I have *no idea* this particular model would work, but you could look around the website and possibly find one that does.  And, and as I said before, check out other manufacturers as well.

Good luck and let us know what worked for you!

Alex Rutchka, SE #4 '05 MB

Re: Roof Vent Sealant
Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 152747
"I am getting ready to replace the swamp cooler on my '91 TK with a MaxxAir fan and was wondering what sealant to use."

Jay

The Mothership glues the vents directly to the roof using polyurethane sealant and then topcoats the vent's flanges with the same poly. They do not use butyl caulk on the vents, only polyurethane.

I recommend and use 3M 5200 Fast Cure polyurethane and have for over twenty years without any failures.
Works great on vents and other roof penetrations.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Re: Roof Vent Sealant
Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 152748
"I recommend and use 3M 5200 Fast Cure polyurethane and have for over twenty years without any failures.
Works great on vents and other roof penetrations." ----- I learned of 5200 from Larry (thank you, Larry!) when my 2003 developed a gap between the edge cap and the body behind the driver's door; I've since used it to seal around the window frames and a couple of places on the end caps and on the roof. It's good stuff, but it lives up to its claim of "fast cure", it's stiff (and sticky) to work with, and it does not stay pliable in any size tube (after opening) for very long. If one is doing a big sealing job at one time, the large tube/caulk gun may work well; otherwise, I suggest using one of the smaller tube sizes. All tube sizes are listed on this Amazon page:

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Marine-Adhesive-Sealant-White/dp/B00SIMEYTU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431530916&sr=8-1&keywords=3m+fast+cure+5200+marine+adhesive+sealant

Be sure to thoroughly clean/prep the area to be sealed, and mask off ("blue tape" sticks best!) all but the area where the 5200 is going. Nitrile gloves (disposable) are a good idea because the 5200 has an affinity for skin!

As ever, YMMV.

Joan
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 152749
There are three microwaves that I have found that should fit.  The Advent from Amazon was mentioned in other posts.  There is a Contoure from RVupgrades.com that includes convection and priced within $15 of the advent.  There is also a FranklinChef from Camper Parts World, but I don't like their return policy.

Does anyone have experience buying from RVupgrades.com?  Good or bad?  I have always had great experiences with Amazon purchases and returns when needed.

Dale

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 152760
"I did check on Amazon, but none of those that I found will fit."

A word of caution about Amazon product descriptions: I've seen a number of cases where they listed the dimensions of the product's packaging, rather than those of the actual product. If the dimensions are important to you, check with the manufacturer--don't rely on Amazon.

Andy Baird
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 152763
That's good advice, Andy, but I have not been able to locate the manufacturers for Advent, Contoure, or FranklinChef.  So far, these are the only ones I can find that have specs that will fit.  The advent, though overpriced, comes through Amazon.  I have never had a problem returning items there, and currently they pay to/from shipping for Prime members.

Dale