Skip to main content
Topic: Detector Confusion/Gray Water Waste Valve/Statkus Engine (Read 12 times) previous topic - next topic
Detector Confusion/Gray Water Waste Valve/Statkus Engine
Yahoo Message Number: 152714
Detector Confusion
 As many of you know, I bought my 1998 Lazy Daze used last fall.  Someone mentioned earlier that they had replaced the LPG detector.  Since my rig is a 1998 (and I have no knowledge of it ever being replaced) should I replace it?  The green light is on and it seems to work fine.
 The couple that sold my rig to me were also "adverse" to smoke detectors and had removed the one on the ceiling near the door.  I replaced it myself with a combo battery operated alarm.
 Also, someone had mentioned that the LPG detector alarm was somewhere in the over the cab bed area.  However, I see no such switch in my 1998 Lazy Daze.

Gray Water Waste Valve
 My gray water waste valve is "dripping."  At first I tried a new cap, but to no avail.  I went out and bought a Valterra 3-inch replacement valve.  The man at the parts store was surprised it didn't use a smaller valve.  I suppose the Lazy Daze is different in that regard.
 I'm thinking I should be able to change this out myself.  I've read lots of information on the Internet on how to do it, and it seems pretty straightforward.  I've dumped the tanks and cleaned the area.  However, the problem is that the nuts and bolts are corroded and I can get them off.  I sprayed them with WD-40 last night, and I read somewhere about using a paper towel soaked in vinegar.
 I'd rather try to do this myself since as much as I like my RV repair guy here in Las Cruces, he charges $65.00 for the service call (mobile) and $90.00/hour.  I'd rather try and save $100.00 to change a $20.00 part.

Statkus Engine
 I made an appointment for early June at Statkus Engine in Albuquerque (I live in Las Cruces) to check my Lazy Daze before I head to the west coast for the summer.  My rig currently has 70,000 miles.  The person I spoke with on the phone said that the most important things for that mileage would be servicing the transmission and the wheel bearings.  They said they could check the alignment, but they sub-contract for that service.  Has anyone had experience with this company?

Thanks, Cheryl

1998 Lazy Daze (26.5 mid-bath) 2002 Honda CR-V
Cheryl (a.k.a. Desert Diva)
1998 Lazy Daze (26.5 mid-bath)
2002 Honda CR-V

Re: Detector Confusion/Gray Water Waste Valve/Statkus Engine
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 152717
Cheryl

"Someone mentioned earlier that they had replaced the LPG detector.  Since my rig is a 1998 (and I have no knowledge of it ever being replaced) should I replace it? Also, someone had mentioned that the LPG detector alarm was somewhere in the over the cab bed area.  However, I see no such switch in my 1998 Lazy Daze".

LPG detectors have a 5-6 years lifespan. The expiration date is usually printed on the rear of the detector.
There is no Factory switch, in the bunk, for the LPG detector, it is powered from the Power Center, without a switch. New ones are available online or from the Mothership.
 "My gray water waste valve is "dripping." .  However, the problem is that the nuts and bolts are corroded and I can get them off.  I sprayed them with WD-40 "

Keep spraying. I prefer a better penetrant, such as  Kroil or a 50-5- mix of acetone and automatic transmission fluid (my homemade favorite). You should be able to break the stainless steel nuts free, I have always been able to remove them.  I use a 1/4' drive socket kit for the nuts and either a screwdriver and/or battery impact wrench to break them free.
A 1/4" drive kit (SAE and metric) is one of my main tools for working on LDs and it is always carried in the LD.
http://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-80300-Piece-4-Inch-Socket/dp/B000NIAIE2 Working along with the 1/4" drive kit is a Ryobi impact screwdriver. It can break loose or drive a wide variety of fasteners. It is my most used power tool.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-18-Volt-One-Impact-Driver-Tool-Only-P236/100049838

"Statkus Engine"

I have heard good and bad about them, I will let those with actual experience comment.
I personally do not like having any service done at dealers.

Larry
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 152719
"Someone mentioned earlier that they had replaced the LPG detector.   Since my rig is a 1998 (and I have no knowledge of it ever being  replaced) should I replace it? Also, someone had mentioned that the  LPG detector alarm was somewhere in the over the cab bed area.   However, I see no such switch in my 1998 Lazy Daze"
 The LPG detector will be near the floor... The CO detector could be in the bunk area, depending on model and if a self-install.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 152729
Larry,

You didn't buy the $10 socket set at Harbor Freight? ? ? ? 

Harbor Freight items are really good if you want to use them once.

SD BOB
2000 MB

Re: Statkus Engine
Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 152764
I used Statkus for annual chassis maintenance for a number of years, as did many Lazy Daze owners I know. It's a family-owned business--very nice people. But in the past couple of years, I and my friends have experienced a number of problems there.

These included a serious misdiagnosis ("It's normal--many Ford transmissions make that ticking sound"--no, they don't, and subsequent servicing by Ford transmission expert John Wood revealed a badly damaged retaining ring that would have caused a catastrophic failure in the near future); an air cleaner housing carelessly jammed together and distorted, so that air and dust were able to leak past the filter directly into the engine; a compressed-air blowout gun left in my transmission's pan (!); and brake rotor work that needed to be redone just a few months later.

I no longer feel comfortable recommending Statkus. I wish I had an alternative to suggest, but I haven't yet found another trustworthy Ford shop in the NM/AZ region. Suggestions are welcomed.

Andy Baird
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 152778
Well, here in Phoenix, AZ, I highly recommend the Sanderson Ford Truck Service Center...and David Lister as the 'go-to' guy there..he's really good, fair, trustworthy, etc. etc. Been having a lot of my '98's stuff done there and been very happy with it.

Gini Free and Junah, canine xtrodinaire "CHERRYOTTE" our litte red home on wheels "Growing old is mandatory. Growing wise is optional."

--- This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
http://www.avast.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gini Free and Junah, canine xtrodinaire
"CHERRYOTTE" our little red home on wheels
"Growing old is mandatory. Growing wise is optional."

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 152787
Andy, who I respect very highly, cites some very disturbing, very specific bad experiences with Statkus.

Like Andy, I've used Statkus Engines as my go-to engine and chassis shop in Albuquerque for the last 5 years.  I feel that to be fair to Statkus, I should say that to the best of my knowledge I've always gotten quality work from Statkus.  Also, Jim Statkus always has given me what I felt was straightforward, honest advice.

I first went to Statkus with a Cummins diesel engine problem on my Tiffin 44 foot Allegro Bus on the recommendation of Tom of Tom's RV in ABQ.  Tom told me Statkus is "better than Cummins West" in ABQ.  Statkus completed the complex repair and helped make sure it was paid for by Tiffin and Cummins.

About two months ago, Jim Statkus recommended I install a Steer Safe and also a Panhard rear sway bar on my new-to-me 2011 Lazy Daze 31TB.  That work perceptively improved the LD's already good directional stability and handling.  I also had Statkus replace all the engine fluids and adjust the toad's SMI brakes. All of that work by Statkus, so far as I know, was done right.

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 152792
Well, thanks Andy for speaking up.  I was going to go to Statkus on my way from Las Cruces to Oregon the first week in June.  I actually had called them this a.m. and asked for a quote and the bill would be close to $900.00.
 If I'm going to spend that kind of money, I certainly don't want a "less than perfect" job done.  I'm thinking I'll just take the RV to a local place here in Las Cruces (Bogart RV) and have the work done.  (Check (and pack if necessary) wheel bearings and service transmission.

If anyone has a better recommendation, please let me know.

Cheryl

1998 Lazy Daze (26.5 mid-bath - 70,000 miles) 2002 Honda CR-V
Cheryl (a.k.a. Desert Diva)
1998 Lazy Daze (26.5 mid-bath)
2002 Honda CR-V

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 152794
Chances are good the propane alarm was replaced.  They only last 5 years, in fact newer ones have a 5 year timer from first power on, forcing you to replace it at that time.  If it is lit up (not disabled) and it is not driving you out of the vehicle with incessant alarms. Chances are very good it has been replaced.  But as others have mentioned, there will be a date on it. Easy to remove to inspect and/or replace.  Near the floor in the kitchen.

-Dave '06 MB, Indianapolis