Skip to main content
Topic: CO detector noise (Read 11 times) previous topic - next topic
CO detector noise
Yahoo Message Number: 152677
Hi The CO detector on our 'new to us' 2000 mid-bath emits an annoying very high pitch sound.
Do we need to replace it? Thanks !  Tom and Kristen

Re: CO detector noise
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 152678
"Do we need to replace it?"

Tom and Kristen

Remove it and check the disposal date, on the rear of the detector.
If still current try a new battery.

Larry.
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 152679
I should have started the previous message by asking if you are sure there isn' a CO problem.
Does it go off when using any of the proane appliances?

Larry
Larry

Re[2]: CO detector noise
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 152680
Larry Alarm is not going off. It emits a high pitch sound that only young ears can hear.
T & K -- Sent from myMail app for Android
 Sunday, 10 May 2015, 09:17PM -07:00 from "lw5315us@... [lifewithalazydazerv]" :

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 152681
Are you sure it's the propane detector? To be sure, remove it and unplug. Normally, there is little in these devices you would expect to make such a sound. Some converters DO produce a quiet whine, however - our Progressive Dynamics one does, although it is not loud enough to bother us.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Re: Re[2]: CO detector noise
Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 152682
"Alarm is not going off. It emits a high pitch sound that only young ears can hear."

T & K

Battery operated CO detectors are cheap, get a new one and end the problem.

Larry
Larry

Re[2]: CO detector noise
Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 152684
Steve Thanks. We disconnected power to the CO detector and the high pitch sound stopped.
Our converter does make low hum.
Tom -- Sent from myMail app for Android
 Sunday, 10 May 2015, 10:52PM -07:00 from "aq433@... [lifewithalazydazerv]" :

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 152685
We disconnected power to the CO detector and the high pitch sound stopped.

---- Unless I'm missing something again (highly possible!), the CO detector (mounted on the ceiling) runs on a 9V battery; the only way to "disconnect power" to a CO detector is to remove the battery. The LPG detector (installed at floor level) is wired in; are you referring to the LPG leak detector and not the CO detector?

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 152686
+1 to what Joan said.  IF it is the propane detector, what shape are the house batteries in?  The propane detector will alarm on low voltage.  Propane detectors also go bad.  I had the replace ours at about 6 years. Propane detectors are also notorious for reacting to a broad spectrum of hydrocarbons beside propane.

Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Re[3]: Re[2]: CO detector noise
Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 152687
Art Batteries are new and fully charged. I'm leaning toward purchasing a new one since this is in a 2000.
Looks like previous owner removed CO detector. I see to screws in ceiling near smoke detector. Is this where it would have been.

Monday, 11 May 2015, 08:35AM -07:00 from older_fossil :
+1 to what Joan said. IF it is the propane detector, what shape are the house batteries in? The propane detector will alarm on low voltage. Propane detectors also go bad. I had the replace ours at about 6 years. Propane detectors are also notorious for reacting to a broad spectrum of hydrocarbons beside propane.
Art

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 152689
"Propane detectors are also notorious for reacting to a broad spectrum of hydrocarbons beside propane."

Very true. My old one went off in the middle of the night with propane valve turned off. Not a pleasant way to wake up.  It was from a scented candle I was burning near as I can tell. Trashed it, bought a new one and no problems since.

bobmoore14

Re: Re[3]: Re[2]: CO detector noise
Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 152690
Sounds like it is the propane detector.  On our MB the CO detector is on the ceiling near the smoke alarm and both near the entry door.  At about 15 years, I'd recommend replacing it.  I had to slightly enlargen the original mounting cutout to fit the replacement I bought.

Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Re[3]: Re[2]: CO detector noise
Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 152691
Joan Good call. Being newbies I had my detectors mixed up. Sorry to all those that were confused.
 Monday, 11 May 2015, 08:10AM -07:00 from "jctaylor1941@... [lifewithalazydazerv]" :

Re: Re[3]: Re[2]: CO detector noise
Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 152693
We are new to our 96 TK. It took us 5 months to figure out that our propane detector has an on off switch tucked in behind a small corner piece by the overhead bunk. Everytime we worked in that area we kept hearing a chirping (you know -on - off etc).
When or 4 year old house batteries (8 really but we didn't check) went dead at 2 am the propane detector didn't stop shrieking til we threw every fuse we had and only then started the engine (and we still didn't figure out the switch) and it stopped. We'd thought the propane detector was the carbon monoxide detector - we had 2 of them so why not? We were running around like a couple of idiots.
You can imagine our surprise when we found that switch 3 days before we were scheduled to replace the propane detector - which is running quite well now by the way.
Sandy KalleAnka