Skip to main content
Topic: Fantastic Vent covers (Read 37 times) previous topic - next topic
Fantastic Vent covers
Yahoo Message Number: 152613
I want to put a cover over our fantastic fan and wondered if the Maxx Air II or original Maxx Air would work OK?

Originally I put Aero flo covers on all vents including the fantastic fan in the toilet of our IB model but I thought that model might not allow the lid to open enough.

I am aware that Fantastic Vent makes there own cover and if anyone can compare it to these other covers would appreciate that info as well.

I am planning on putting this cover on the fantastic fan in the living area.

Jim C

Re: Fantastic Vent covers
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 152619
Funny you ask because I just worked on this project this past weekend.  I had ordered and received a standard Maxxair cover, but it will not go over the fantastic fan for 2 reasons.  First, it doesn't allow the lid to open as much as I would like and thus some probable air flow restriction.  Second, the mounting hardware bolts will not work with the fantastic fan because the small bolts will not go all the way through to put the nuts on the inside of the fan housing.   Maxxair recommends something I believe they call the fan mate.  You can look on you tube and see a demo of installing it.  It is much bigger, and I simply don't think I want that big thing up there.  By the way, I installed my standard Maxxair cover over the vent in the midbath "hallway" because it doesn't have a fan.  Not sure it will do me much good there but it seemed better that storing it in the garage.  My suggestion is to look at you tube for installation demonstrations of any fan you are considering.  Others on here may disagree with me, but they probably have more knowledge and experience than myself.  Good luck.

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 152621
I have used the regular Maxxair, and currently the Maxxair II over both fans on our rig. They do restrict the maximum opening of the vent cover, but I doubt it makes much difference in back pressure on the fans. However mostly we use our fans on low - if you use the higher speeds a lot, you might want less restriction.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 152622
For less restriction I will pass on a tip someone gave me.

Get some slightly longer mounting screws and washers. Raise the mounting base just slightly so it's not flush with the roof. This will allow increased flow without having to purchase the expensive model made for Fantastic Fans. I think it was Larry that told me.

bobmoore14

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 152623
Or just buy the Fantastic covers.... We did, all three.  s/Terry Apple
Terry Apple
2013 RB 27 Baby Blue Bentley

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 152624
:

"Or just buy the Fantastic covers....  We did, all three."

Fantastic's  cover is very easy to install, about ten minutes each.
The top and comes off in a few seconds for cleaning.
http://www.amazon.com/Fan-Tastic-Vent-UB1500WH-White-Breeze/dp/B007HGF398/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430951740&sr=8-1&keywords=fantastic+vent+cover

It is the cover made for the Fantastic vent and flows air without restriction. After recently installing a few of them, it's would be my choice today.

Larry
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 152625
Jim, I have MaxxAir 2s over both Fantastic Vents and they allow the vent cover to raise higher than the other MaxxAir vents or many other brands. As Steve said, the vent cover won't go up all the way but it is sufficient for most every use I've experienced over the last years, particularly when the fan is run on low (most of the time) or medium. On older vent covers I used the method Bob described below but did away with the extra washers and spacers as I replaced vent covers. For the trouble of dealing with all the extra hardware, I didn't see that much of an extra benefit.
 As a side note, I put an in-line resistor (sent to me by the Fantastic Vent folks) on the bedroom vent fan ('02 30') some years ago. Now, speed one runs at 1/2 speed, 2 runs at 1 and 3 runs at 2 speed. I did this because sometimes at night a lower, quieter, white-noise speed was desirable and the 1/2 speed does the trick.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 152626
On May 6, 2015, at 4:39 PM,  [lifewithalazydazerv]  wrote:

Fantastic's  cover is very easy to install, about ten minutes each.
The top and comes off in a few seconds for cleaning.

Thanks for that information. We may switch.

Two years ago, we had a Maxx Air cover installed over our Fantastic Fan. It has served us well during three trips through rainy states, as opposed to our usual desert-southwest trips. We were very grateful to have it there during long rainy spells.

However, there's now a significant build-up of dirt, and I don't know how to get the thing off to clean it. Anybody have a trick for cleaning the Maxx Air, or do we just need to switch to the FF version for ease of cleaning?

Martha in Santa Fe

Re: Cleaning Fantastic Vent covers
Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 152627
Martha, have you checked to see if your Maxx Air swings open by pulling the pins out of the brackets on one side? All of my MA 2s do. The non-MA 2s do also. I try to clean mine each spring. What a PITA! Bucket of water on the roof; legs scrunched tight; back pretzeled up. One needs physical therapy after that cleaning job.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Re: Cleaning Fantastic Vent covers
Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 152629
On May 6, 2015, at 6:01 PM,  [lifewithalazydazerv]  wrote:

Martha, have you checked to see if your Maxx Air swings open by pulling the pins out of the brackets on one side? All of my MA 2s do. The non-MA 2s do also. I try to clean mine each spring. What a PITA! Bucket of water on the roof; legs scrunched tight; back pretzeled up. One needs physical therapy after that cleaning job.

Hi Chris, and thanks for the tips!

Actually, I haven't checked that yet but it's good to know some of them can swing open. I don't tend to go up on the roof, but the dirt has accumulated to such an extent that I may give it a try soon.

If anybody has done this process with **both** the Maxx Air and the Fantastic Fan covers and can offer a comparison between the ease of cleaning, I'd really be grateful for that information.

Thanks, Chris, and everybody here!

Martha

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 152630
We had the Maxx Air cover on the bedroom Fantastic Fan for about four years. Nothing we could do would stop it from vibrating and rattling. Replaced it with the Fantastic cover. We're much happier and it is shaped to allow the lid to open a little wider. It works for us.

Linda  2008 31' TB

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 152631
On May 6, 2015, at 6:35 PM, Linda Allen  [lifewithalazydazerv]  wrote:

We had the Maxx Air cover on the bedroom Fantastic Fan for about four years. Nothing we could do would stop it from vibrating and rattling. Replaced it with the Fantastic cover. We're much happier and it is shaped to allow the lid to open a little wider. It works for us.

Yes, we can relate tot he vibrations and inability to open up completely.  That FF cover is sounding better and better! :-)

Thanks, Linda.

Martha

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 152632
"Nothing we could do would stop it from vibrating and rattling."
 Never had this happen with any of our covers, UNLESS the fan lids were pressed up against them. We always dial the lids back a touch after opening - no noise.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 152672
Larry, I picked up the Fantastic Vent cover. One question. How much of the old caulk did you have to remove to install the metal brackets and what did you use to remove it? I don't want to damage the flange of the fan.

Jim C

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 152673
" I picked up the Fantastic Vent cover. One question. How much of the old caulk did you have to remove to install the metal brackets and what did you use to remove it? I don't want to damage the flange of the fan."

Jim

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAs2GsUTdK4 Watch the video, it will show where the brackets mount.
All I did was to cut away the sealant on top of the flanges,  just where the brackets go.
No need to remove anymore sealant than necessary. The sealant on top of the flange doesn't seal anything, it only protects the plastic flange from sun damage.

I used a vibratory tool with a sharp chisel blade to cut the sealant. A sharp putty knife should work too.
Before installing the brackets, a blob of polyurethane sealant (3M 5200 Fast Cure) was placed in each of the screw holes.
I put three Fantastic covers on, a couple weeks ago, and it didn't take more than a half hour, it was very easy

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze