Skip to main content
Topic: Replace Right Coach W/Small Recliner (Read 37 times) previous topic - next topic
Replace Right Coach W/Small Recliner
Yahoo Message Number: 152602
I'm a newbie with a '01 26RK.  I live in it, alone, full time.  I'm thinking about replacing the right couch with a small recliner.  Has anyone done this? Any recommendations / comments?

Bob '01 26RK

Re: Replace Right Coach W/Small Recliner
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 152606
The right (passenger, port, or green shoe) side couch covers the spare tire.  There was this picture of someone that did basically a non destructive adding of two chairs on a mid bath in the picture section some months ago Life With A Lazy Daze RV  (I hope the link works).  This allows one to keep the storage been below and really could be done to either side.  The passenger side couch is longer than the left side so if you happen to be taller than 5'6" (my height) you may want to think which side you convert.
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 152612
I'm still learning about my rig (had it almost a month now) but believe the water tank is under the left side couch in my rig and, like you say, the left side couch / bed is longer - 75" which is nice even tho I'm short.

Looking thru the cracks, it looks like the carpet even goes to the right side wall.

So, I'm thinking about taking out the right side couch.  I'd like to communicate with anyone that has done this or knows how to go about it.

Also, does anyone have any recommendations on small recliners?

Bob '01 26RK

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 152675
That was our modification. We like it and it is completely reversible, meaning that the couch can be reinstalled, in about 1/2 hour. Email us if interested.
Ken
 Man, I hope I'm sending this to the right place.... :) It's not clear to me if this is going to the list or who... Grrrrr.
Former 2009 MB owner

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 152676
From what Im gathering, Bob has a RK, ( Rear Kitchen ) not the two couches in the back.  Also what I have learned Bob is if you want to have a small recliner it's best to take out the couch that is on the " Drivers side" I believe there is the storage area on the passenger side couch and it may mess that up. When Larry, Joan or Andy come on here they know more about it.

JO

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 152688
I do have a '01 26RK.  It has the 2 couches up front.

Like I've said, I'm on a steep learning curve but believe my water tank is under the left couch.  Yes, I'll loose that wonderful storage compartment under the right couch:-(

All thoughts and ideas would be appreciated.  I bought a Harbor Town La-z-boy yesterday.  Thank you Mary. I think it will be prefect.  I will be starting the project soon.

Bob '01 26RK

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 152697
Bob, Don't do anything yet until you hear from Larry, Joan or Andy... They may have an idea so you won'y have to lose your storage space..

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 152715
Thanks.  I dug into the project yesterday and realized that there is a support stringer attached to the right wall, including seat belt bolts.  This stringer is attached from the outside before the skin is put on.  So now I'm in the contemplation mode.

I had hoped I wouldn't have to destroy things to make the change.  But it seems that if I do this, it would be a major job for me or someone else to replace the couch if that were ever required.

I think the least destruction would be to cut off all attachments to the stringer except the seat belt bolts.  I could patch up where I damage to the stringer and put a small table / shelf over the area where the bolts are.  I could paint the remaining stringer to match the wall color.

Who are the wonderful people: Larry, Joan and Andy?  I'm new to RVing and only had my '01 26RK for about a month.

Bob

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 152718
Who are the wonderful people: Larry, Joan and Andy?

---- My keyboard almost got a heavy dose of coffee upon reading that one! ;-) We are fortunate to have *many* "wonderful" people on this message board who willingly share their extensive expertise and experience, and Larry and Andy are absolutely among these. (I know some stuff, but am much more in the "even a blind pig finds an acorn once in a while" category. ;-) )

It's impossible to quantify how much information is available from the people on this message board; offhand, I know that I learn something virtually every day from postings. The LD board is a terrific source of credible information and one of the most helpful, civil, and "professional grade" forums on the web; having participated in others, I can say that this group is definitely one of the best for reliable, useful, current information in many different categories! And, its well-managed and fairly administered, thanks to the ongoing efforts of our moderators, Chris, Larry, and Judie, who continue Andy's (and their own, and Steve B's before them) work.

I hope that others on this board have the opportunity (as I have in several cases, fortunately) to meet the real people behind the posts; now, that's "wonderful", for sure! ;-)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Extending wifi range
Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 152738
Hi

Does  anyone here use anything to extend the range of campground wifi? If so,  what?

My  laptop is an older one with only 802.11 b,a, and g. No n. I think I probably  need an 'n' adapter to use in a USB port? And then an antenna with a cable to  plug into that. Is that what I need? Any other ideas?

Tom

Re: Extending wifi range
Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 152739
I just purchased a Wifiranger Elite.   I don't have it yet. but it should be here within a few days.

Basically a vertical antenna that is clamped on top of the Batwing TV antenna, getting power over ethernet.  It will allow me to attach to campground Wifi and repeat that signal inside my LD.  However, do not expect it to cure a very crappy Internet feed to your campground.  Most campgrounds Internet is severely overloaded, especially in the evenings.  But it should vastly improve your connection inside the park.

It also allows reverse feeding my Verizon Internet to locations away from my LD,  making my LD the source of the Internet.  I will use one or the other, depending on where I am.

For more information, visit wifiranger.com.  Another  good resource is  RV Mobile Internet Resource Center

-Dave '06 MB, Indianapolis

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 152740
Thanks  Dave

Yeah,  just last week a RV park owner told me that no matter how much they keep their  wifi system state of the art, it still bogs down. Some people are on it all the  time, some people have three or four devices running at once, and some folks  even try to download movies. This makes it crappy for even responsible  users.

Tom

I just purchased a Wifiranger  Elite.   I don't have it yet. but it should be here within a few days.
 Basically a vertical antenna that is clamped on top of the Batwing TV  antenna, getting power over ethernet.  It will allow me to attach to  campground Wifi and repeat that signal inside my LD.  However, do not  expect it to cure a very crappy Internet feed to your campground.  Most  campgrounds Internet is severely overloaded, especially in the evenings.   But it should vastly improve your connection inside the park.

It also allows reverse feeding my Verizon Internet to locations away from  my LD,  making my LD the source of the Internet.  I will use one or  the other, depending on where I am.
 For more information, visit wifiranger.com.  Another  good  resource is  RV Mobile Internet Resource Center

-Dave '06 MB, Indianapolis

RV        Mobile Internet Resource Center RV        Mobile Internet Resource Center Mobile internet information specifically        for RVers by RVers

View        on www.rvmobile...

Preview        by Yahoo

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 152741
This mirrors our travels last year.  Most parks were at best barely useable during off hours to abysmal during prime time when too many people were online.

Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 152742
From:mailto:lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com Sent: Tuesday, May 12, 2015 6:08 PM To:lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com Subject: [LD] Re: Extending wifi range

I  just purchased a Wifiranger Elite.  I don't have it yet. but it  should be here within a few days.
 Basically a vertical antenna that is clamped on top of the Batwing TV  antenna, getting power over ethernet.  It will allow me to attach to  campground Wifi and repeat that signal inside my LD.  However, do not  expect it to cure a very crappy Internet feed to your campground.  Most  campgrounds Internet is severely overloaded, especially in the evenings.  But it should vastly improve your connection inside the park.

It also allows reverse feeding my Verizon Internet to locations away from  my LD,  making my LD the source of the Internet.  I will use one or  the other, depending on where I am.

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 152743
Dave, did you order the Elite Standalone ($360) or the Elite Pack ($600).  Either one is more than I had planned on spending.
Tom

I  just purchased a Wifiranger Elite.   I don't have it yet. but it  should be here within a few days.
 Basically a vertical antenna that is clamped on top of the Batwing TV  antenna, getting power over ethernet.  It will allow me to attach to  campground Wifi and repeat that signal inside my LD.  However, do not  expect it to cure a very crappy Internet feed to your campground.  Most  campgrounds Internet is severely overloaded, especially in the evenings.   But it should vastly improve your connection inside the park.

It

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 152744
I waffled back and forth because I could have used my existing Cradlepoint on the inside, instead of their inside router.  But I ended up ordering the Elite Pack. WTH.  I already have ethernet cable though the roof, so it should be easy to get set up.

-Dave '06MB, Indianapolis

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 152745
Bob,

Joan just summed it up perfectly. I've learned a lot from the three " wonderful People" I mentioned.*:) happy In fact I had the pleasure of meeting Joan & Larry at  one of the caravans. If you get a chance this summer, check out one of the caravans..

Jo

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 152750
Have you looked into marine wifi antennas? 4ft tall and can be clamped to the ladder. I am still researching but as an antenna that seems pretty good.  Haven't seen anything that works as a repeater. Our issue is we are so small in the parks we go to that even allowing for a pathetic signal we don't get it due to being boxed in or facing the signal with the front of the rig or too much on the fringe etc etc Sandy KalleAnka Vt

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 152753
Talk to Larry W. for a solution to your antenna needs. He built me a Wilson antenna with a telescopic mount with I can raise above the roof and point in any direction. Coupled with a Wilson amplifier it's works great. I can almost always get a cell signal. It wasn't my idea, I saw one on Andy's rig and knew I needed it for boondocking since I do some business on Ebay.

Bob

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 152754
Bob,  cell phone signals and wifi signals are two different things.

Tom

Talk to Larry W. for a solution to your antenna needs. He built me a Wilson  antenna with a telescopic mount with I can raise above the roof and point in any  direction. Coupled with a Wilson amplifier it's works great. I can almost always  get a cell signal. It wasn't my idea, I saw one on Andy's rig and knew I needed  it for boondocking since I do some business on Ebay.

Bob

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 152755
Tom, Yes I am aware of the differences. My thinking was that if he could provide a cellular solution, he may be able to come up with a WIFI solution as well. It's worth asking him if your seeking help.

I have an interior WIFI repeater and it doesn't help much. Maybe an external antenna would be the answer.

bobmoore14

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 152756
A bigger (longer) antenna definitely helps. But not nearly as much as getting it up in the air.  The WifiRanger antenna is clamped to the top of the TV antenna which gets it a couple of feet above the roof.  Plus, the actual router and radio is right at the base of the antenna.  Just a few feet of coax at 2.4 GHz can attenuate the signal by factor of 10 or more.   But then you have to feed ethernet cable in to the vehicle somehow.

One problem with taller antennas is that all antennas radiate from the BASE (feed point) of the antenna, so if the base of the antenna is not well above the roof line of our aluminum boxes, most of the advantage of being longer is lost.

As I mentioned before, if the campground has an anemic Internet connection, it doesn't matter how good your Wifi connection is.  Though I was in a campground last year in NJ, that had a very robust 100 Mbps Internet connection (very rare), but the wifi where I was parked, was dead as a door knob. I did not have adequate Wifi to make the trip across the campground.  Highly frustrating, as I cranked extra data into my Verizon plan .   I could have made good use of something like the WifiRanger if I had one then.  Oh well...

The WifiRanger does act as a repeater, either cabled or wireless, it connects to the campground, and establishes a second network (separate SSID) for low power local use inside your LD. The antenna actually has multiple radios on board (probably why it is so expensive).  If you also buy the inside router, it can share your cellular connection with others over the big antenna (most of the time you would have to be asking why on earth you would want to do that, but there are use cases).

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 152757
Hi  Bob

No,  I was just asking if others had found this to be a problem, and if they had  found a satisfactory  solution, what their solution was.

I  don't go to parks with wifi very often, but when I do, I'd like to be able to  use the wifi. After all, I am paying for it.

Tom

Tom, Yes I am aware of the differences. My thinking was that if he could  provide a cellular solution, he may be able to come up with a WIFI solution as  well. It's worth asking him if your seeking help.
 I have an interior WIFI repeater and it doesn't help much. Maybe an external  antenna would be the answer.

bobmoore14

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 152758
Thanks again Dave.
I agree 100% that a quality antenna up on the  Winegard with a short coax to an AP on the ceiling just under the antenna is the  way to go. And running the cable through the reef is not a problem at all using  a marine through-deck fitting. But there is simply no way I can justify $600 for  a WiFiRanger for something I would use infrequently. Maybe I will have to break  down and buy a data plan and hotspot wifi.
Tom

A bigger (longer) antenna definitely helps. But not nearly as  much as getting it up in the air.  The WifiRanger antenna is clamped to the  top of the TV antenna which gets it a couple of feet above the roof.  Plus,  the actual router and radio is right at the base of the antenna.  Just a  few feet of coax at 2.4 GHz can attenuate the signal by factor of 10 or  more.   But then you have to feed ethernet cable in to the vehicle  somehow.
 One problem with taller antennas is that all antennas radiate from the BASE  (feed point) of the antenna, so if the base of the antenna is not well above the  roof line of our aluminum boxes, most of the advantage of being longer is lost.
 As I mentioned before, if the campground has an anemic Internet connection,  it doesn't matter how good your Wifi connection is.  Though I was in a  campground last year in NJ, that had a very robust 100 Mbps Internet connection  (very rare), but the wifi where I was parked, was dead as a door knob. I did not  have adequate Wifi to make the trip across the campground.  Highly  frustrating, as I cranked extra data into my Verizon plan  .   I could have made good use of something like the  WifiRanger if I had one then.  Oh well...
 The WifiRanger does act as a repeater, either cabled or wireless, it  connects to the campground, and establishes a second network (separate SSID) for  low power local use inside your LD. The antenna actually has  multiple radios on board (probably why it is so expensive).  If you also buy the inside  router, it can share your cellular connection with others over the big antenna  (most of the time you would have to be asking why on earth you would want to do  that, but there are use cases).