Skip to main content
Topic: XM Signal Loss (Read 6 times) previous topic - next topic
XM Signal Loss
Yahoo Message Number: 152594
Our 2010 MB has LD installed XM radio.  After working fine for four years, we recently have completely lost the XM signal.  XM does not even show up on the radio as an option, i.e., we cannot even get the free XM channel 1.  A call to XM just resulted in a suggestion to take the rig to the LD factory for diagnosis and repair. Since we live in Washington State, we would prefer not to have to do that.  Pushing the reset button on the factory installed Sony radio did not help.  (The account with XM is paid up, so nonpayment is not the issue). Does anyone have any suggestions?  Also, can someone tell us where the XM tuner is located? Thanks, Paul H.
Paul
2010 MB (2011-present)                                                                                        
1994 Multiplan (1997-2010)

Re: XM Signal Loss
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 152596
"Our 2010 MB has LD installed XM radio.  After working fine for four years, we recently have completely lost the XM signal.  XM does not even show up on the radio as an option, i.e., we cannot even get the free XM channel 1.  A call to XM just resulted in a suggestion to take the rig to the LD factory for diagnosis and repair."

Paul

LD isn't going to be of help with a 5 year old radio, it is way out of warranty. Even if it was, LD would send you off to find an "authorized" Sony dealer for warranty work.
Anyway, the cost of gas used to go to the Mothership would be much more than the cost of a new radio.

The XM receiver is probably built into the existing radio.
This might be best resolved by biting the bullet and getting new radio, with XM.  Your other choice is to buy a stand-alone XM receiver and use the radio's aux input or a FM transmitter.
It's just about impossible to find anyone who fixes radios anymore.

Larry

Paul H.
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 152600
You might ask the mothership if the receiver is built into the radio or if it is external. Some time ago for my MINI there was a component that could be added to some radios.  This device hid in the trunks or behind interior panels much like a CD stack component.
If LD is using such a device it could be something as simple as a ground or power wire coming loose.
Larry is most likely correct though. I seem to go through a XM receiver every 5 to 6 years. I don't think they are built to last.
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 152601
Mine did that.  Try pulling the fuse for the radio, waiting 10 seconds, and plugging it back in.  After re-booting, my XM receiver once again showed up on the radio.

Ken F in OR
'08 MB

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 152604
I have an XM radio in my Lazy Daze.  I have an AudioVox XMAS XM Compact Sound System, that uses the Roady XT.  They don't make them anymore, but I've had mine for several years and was able to buy a "new" back-up one for home.  I just transfer the Roady XT from RV to home.  You can also buy a DC adapter (I have one in the RV) and you can mount the antenna on the roof.  (It's a small square about the size of a wrapped caramel.)

I absolutely love mine and the sound is amazing.
 You can still buy them used on Amazon.com.  http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0015LLZX4/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=all

Cheryl 1998 Lazy Daze (26.5 mid-bath) 2002 Honda CR-V
Cheryl (a.k.a. Desert Diva)
1998 Lazy Daze (26.5 mid-bath)
2002 Honda CR-V

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 152608
Yup, pull the fuse to get XM back in the radio.  Mine did that too when it was newish, Vince walked me through finding the fuse (it was on the right side under the hood, with a little tag).

Holly 08 MB

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 152618
Thanks for the input on the lost XM signal.  So far we have tried having XM reset the signal, pulling the fuse as suggested, and pushing the reset button on the radio.  None of that has worked.  I did talk to Vince at the factory who said that the XM receiver is separate from the radio and is located in a hard to reach location under the steering wheel.  He said there is a fuse associated with the receiver that could also be checked. We have not done that.  Vince also said that changing the radio and receiver would not necessarily bring back the XM signal because an antenna hookup to the new receiver would be needed.  Since the am/fm works fine on the radio, we may look at just getting a home XM radio and taking it with us in the LD when we travel.

Paul H.
2010 MB
Paul
2010 MB (2011-present)                                                                                        
1994 Multiplan (1997-2010)

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 152634
Had same radio issue on our 2010 MB. Went to factory only to discover the XM set up was very d technology. Went to a good audio shop and replaced the entire radio unit with a much upgraded radio and more features. Used same roof antennae that came with rig.
Radio is Alpine and fit perfectly. Works great. The key was going to a good aftermarket radio shop where they knew what they were doing.

Dean Ansley
2010 MB
2010 Mid Bath