Skip to main content
Topic: possibly adding a Toad (Read 7 times) previous topic - next topic
possibly adding a Toad
Yahoo Message Number: 152528
I have an opportunity to buy a completely rebuilt/new tires/upgraded interior 1998 Subaru Outback. Red. Manual transmission. And yes, they have all the receipts for the work done.

I'm trying to find out what the actual weight of the car is, to see if I can add stuff to it to relieve my 30fter from some weight as well. I seem to remember this being discussed as to limits. Also, I'll need to decide which tow package, and accompanying brake assembly..lots to learn!

Off to search our archives, but any thoughts on purchasing such an older car even tho it has a new rebuilt engine w/only 117 miles on it, new brakes, struts, new sound package, tires, and the body and interior in excellent condition? I'm torn--it's the same age as my rig! The price is reasonable, and they will probably take less than the $4000 they are asking.
 The one concern is it is the original tranny and drive train, running gear..
 I got stuck with a 2005 Kia Sedona when i moved to AZ to care for my Mom...it will be sold, and should bring enough to put towards the car and tow package to make this a fairly painless purchase. Not a lot of decent towable older cars I can afford out there! And I love Subarus.

Gini Free and Junah, canine xtrodinaire "CHERRYOTTE" our litte red home on wheels "Growing old is mandatory. Growing wise is optional."

--- This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
http://www.avast.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gini Free and Junah, canine xtrodinaire
"CHERRYOTTE" our little red home on wheels
"Growing old is mandatory. Growing wise is optional."

Re: possibly adding a Toad
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 152530
According to Edmonds, the curb weight is 2905 lbs.  That would assumes original equipment only.

Dale 2005 FL & Cherokee Toad

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 152531
"I have an opportunity to buy a completely rebuilt/new tires/upgraded interior 1998 Subaru Outback. Red. Manual transmission. And yes, they have all the receipts for the work done."

Gini

Realize that ONLY the engine has been rebuilt, the rest of the car is 17 years old.
At this age and mileage, it could have a number of problems.  Before proceeding, I would want a good Subaru mechanic to inspect and road test it.
I would also check the maintenance surveys on Consumer Reports to see if this model has any major issues.

Subarus have a complicated drive train with the all-wheel-drive, lots of things to wear out or rot away.
Make sure it has good parts availability and to check estimated future availability.
A toad is something you should ideally drive for many years to justify the cost of setting it up for towing. The tow set-up is going to cost somewhere around $3000. Only some of parts can be transferred to another vehicle in the future. Make sure the vehicle has a good chance of reliably lasting for many more years.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 152532
JMHO, but my main concerns about the viability of this 1998 Sube as a toad behind your fulltiming 30' are these:

It's 17 years old; how and where was it used during that time?

How many miles are on the systems and components that have NOT been replaced, and in what conditions are these, e.g., hidden/potential warts?

Additional costs to repair or replace said "warts" as they become apparent.

Whether the "replacements" were done with good quality parts by qualified, savvy mechanics.

It weighs about 3000 pounds.

Going only by the brief description and looking at NADA, the asking price is about $1000 too high. (IMO)

-----

Larry's point of the substantial cost to outfit a toad - any toad - (including, of course, a beef up of the hitch set-up) for safe towing is very well-taken; again, IMO, spending a lot of cash to outfit a vehicle of known age, but unknown quality, could be a move to regret.

I have no idea if this source might be "helpful", but it could hurt to look at the information and assess its application to this particular vehicle:

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Subaru/Outback/1998/

If you decide to pursue this, following Larry's advice to have the vehicle *thoroughly* inspected by an independent mechanic is a swell idea!

As ever, YMMV!

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 152533
"Realize that ONLY the engine has been rebuilt, the rest of the car is 17 years old.
At this age and mileage, it could have a number of problems.  Before proceeding, I would want a good Subaru mechanic to inspect and road test it.
I would also check the maintenance surveys on Consumer Reports to see if this model has any major issues."

You would do well following Larry's advice. Many paid consultants would miss some of the points he brought up. We are very lucky to benefit from his experience and knowledge.

Sometimes it's better to spend a little more upfront for a newer model toad if your budget can take it. A Subaru WRX STI would be my first choice if I could afford it.

bobmoore14

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 152534
Gini, I had a 1997 Outback, a automatic though, and now have  Forrester (2007) and make sure to have radiator checked out I replaced 2 in Outback and already one in Forrester. I will sell the F whenever the time comes for my getting a LD as I refuse to tow on a trailer. It is AWD and auto. One of the worst things I did was buying a vehicle that can't be towed 4 down, but know more now and won't make that mistake again.

Jan/Scottsdale AZ.

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 152537
If the car is rust free it may be worth doing.  I can see some price adjustment (up) if the car checks out with a dealer or good Subie mechanic but no more that a few hundred dollars.  The early Subie's are well built cars in general.  If you lived in the Washington DC area I would take you to see my nephew, a lead mechanic at a local dealership.  I would expect the front half shafts and engine mounts were replaced when the engine was pulled because it would have been easy.  If not, that would be an excuse to walk away because that is a sign that short cuts were taken during the rebuild.  So ask who ever you take the car to about how they look.  High on the things to expect to replace are most of the suspension bushings front and rear.  Things that go bad and are very hard to replace are heater controls behind the dash.  The cables get dry inside and do not slide as well as they did when new.  That in turn causes the heater/ac controls on the dash to break.  On a car so old you may want to go ahead and replace the antifreeze revisor and the windshield revisor.  These are plastic bits and will soon be hard to find.  Not such a big deal if you live in a city, but if your out in the middle of nowhere either of them failing can prove to be inconvenient.  I agree with checking the radiator.  If you replace it replace it, consider spending the extra and buy something from the racing community.  Subaru's of all kinds are raced and taken in stressful places.
John
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 152539
Please strike revisor and replace with reservoir.  One of these days I might actually learn to speel errr spell.
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 152547
"One of these days I might actually learn to speel errr spell."  LOVE it...Thx for multiple LOLs from my Inner Stickler!

Lynne LDy Lulubelle, '05 31' TB Lilly, 4-legged Alarm
Lynne
LDy Lulubelle, Green '05 31' TB
Lilly, the 4-Legged Alarm