Skip to main content
Topic: Security of toad... (Read 14 times) previous topic - next topic
Security of toad...
Yahoo Message Number: 152408
We are new to towing a dinghy, and I am concerned about the need to leave the key in the ignition. I know I can lock the doors manually with another key, but don't like the thought someone could break in and still drive the car away. Just wondering how others have dealt with this issue. 2013 Honda Fit.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Re: Security of toad...
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 152409
We don't tow, but . . . wouldn't the key be in the ignition only while you are actively towing the vehicle?  I can envision the challenges of breaking into a vehicle while it is moving.

Virtual hugs,

Judie http://dorrieanne.wordpress.com

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 152410
Just wondering how others have dealt with this issue. 2013 Honda Fit.

Steve

Most tow bars and baseplates have tabs for locks, preventing the toad and RV from being separated.
Locking hitch pins are available.
My only concern with locking everything together is what happens in case of a fire, or other emergency, and you need to separate the two quickly. Don't make it too secure. Personally, I don't completely lock the entire system together, except when leaving it unattended for long periods. I can separate the two very quickly.

Another thing,  cut the ignition key to a nub and paint the end black so it just about disappears, when inserted into the ignition switch.
Our toad also has a well concealed kill switch and a jet ejection seat that operates when hot wired (I wish).

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 152411
Would prefer not having to go through the pre-tow procedure each time for brief stops.
the manual specifically warns against going from R to N before towing, which means if the key is removed, then the car must be restarted, put in drive, then neutral, then turn the key back to ACC again before heading out.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 152412
Steve, the key is in the ignition only when hooked to the LD. Therefore, someone would have to unhitch the car before s/he could steal it. Most of the time when the car is hooked to the LD, we are near the combo. My advice: not to worry.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 152413
"Would prefer not having to go through the pre-tow procedure each time for brief stops."

Steve

Kill switch.
I think you have the capability to design and install one.
Or some other type of security system that keeps the engine from starting.

You may be worrying too much about this.
Toad break ins are not that common, especially if nothing valuable is visible.
I'm more worried about someone breaking into the LD, while we are gone.

Larry
Larry

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 152414
Towing a CR-V, I never touch the ignition until I stop at night at which time I turn off the Brake Buddy and start the car, making sure the bat has not run down - I now use a Toad-Charge. I do the pre-tow procedure again in the morning before I leave.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 152416
We have a standard operating procedure when we hook up the toad as we prepare to get underway...I use the "second" key in the ignition to position the toad behind the LD. We pull the necessary fuses (2003 Saturn L300) and hook up.  The the Captain gets into the LD and I stand behind the toad, far enough to see all the brake/turn lights...while in place, he uses the L/R turn signals and then the brakes.  As each light system lights up, I give a thumbs up signal and then I use the "1st" key with the remote to lock the toad.

This assures we've got all systems go for brakes and turns and the toad is locked for security.

We've never felt that the toad was under siege.  A good part of that is trying to never be where it's weird.

TinaP 2006 MB....heading home to Maine from a Florida winter
2006 MB

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 152417
Steve, your Fit, like all new cars, requires a "chipped" key in order to be started and driven. But a simple physical key--the old-fashioned kind, with no electronic smarts--can unlock the steering wheel, which is all that's needed for towing.

So the answer is to have a locksmith make a plain steel duplicate of your car key. They'll caution you that it won't start the car, and you'll reassure them that you don't care. :-)

If you use that key to unlock the wheel when towing, it won't matter even if you leave it in the ignition when stopped for gas or whatever--nobody can steal the car with that key. This method has worked for me with my last two cars (2009 Fit, 2014 Forester).

Andy Baird
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 152418
Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll get a non-immobilizer blank cut for the doors, and keep the car locked enroute. This will give us two keys to get in, should one get lost, and not be that expensive.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 152427
Larry : I had to LOL when you wrote " our toad also has a well concealed kill switch and a jet ejection seat that operates when hot wired (I wish)".

Andy: That was Great information on that key problem !

JO

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 152429
"So  the answer is to have a locksmith make a plain steel duplicate of your  car key. They'll caution you that it won't start the car, and you'll  reassure them that you don't care. :-)

If  you use that key to unlock the wheel when towing, it won't matter even  if you leave it in the ignition when stopped for gas or whatever--nobody  can steal the car with that key."
 Andy, what concerns me is that the owner's manual specifically states:

"Severe transmission damage will occur if the vehicle is shifted from R to N and then towed with the drive wheels on the ground."
 Since I must switch to park to remove the key I used to run the engine through its routine, I will be moving the shift lever through reverse again with the plain key, engine off. Although I could continue to D, then back to N, I don't know if this will correct the issue. I also wondered if I could start and run the engine with the plain key with the programmed key in proximity to activate the immobilizer circuit? Any comments?

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 152431
"Since I must switch to park to remove the key I used to run the engine through its routine, I will be moving the shift lever through reverse again with the plain key, engine off. Although I could continue to D, then back to N, I don't know if this will correct the issue."

I see what you're getting at, Steve. The automatic transmissions do add some complications when towing, and you don't want to take ANY chances with "severe transmission damage."

Holding the programmed key nearby while starting the engine with the plain key may work--it can't hurt to try, anyway.

Andy Baird
Andy Baird

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 152432
Steve,
 We've towed our Jeep for several tens of thousands of miles.  Since we need a key to have the steering wheel unlocked, we have a key that is used just for towing, and the doors are locked/unlocked with our regular keys.  Our tow bar pins all lock so it is not easy for someone else to quickly disconnect it. We try not to have anything valuable looking visible inside the Jeep that would prompt a thief to smash a window.
 I like locking pins to keep some mischief maker from pulling out one or more of the tow bar pins.

HTH, Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 152437
I've ordered a non-chipped key blank to have cut, and I'll experiment. At worst, we can use it to manually unlock the doors, which gives us two keys available outside the locked vehicle, which prevents worries about losing a key. At best, there may be a way to use it in the ignition, which means we won't be leaving a viable key inside the Honda enroute. I'll post back what the outcome is. Thanks for all the comments!

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 152443
As a long time lurker I thought I would make my first post here in this thread since I know a little bit about this subject.
I am a solo full timer in a 2010 mid bath and tow a 2009 Honda Fit with an automatic transmission. I have used a blank key in the ignition to go through the Honda tow set up procedure for several years now with no problems and then leave the blank key in the ignition as I go to my next destination, Here's some things that may help.
You don't actually have to start the engine with the programmed ignition key in proximity.  The security test occurs as you turn the key from the ACC position to the ON position.  If the test fails a green key outline shows up on the dash instrument panel.  If it succeeds, no key outline appears and you can start the engine with just the blank key in the ignition. The programmed ignition key does not need be nearby at that point.
I found that holding the programmed ignition in proximity to the ignition slot is not close enough.  I had to try several different positions before I found one that worked.  My programmed key has a black plastic base that has the Honda H emblem on one side and buttons to remotely lock/unlock the doors on the other side.  I put my thumb on the Honda emblem and put the base against the blank key handle that is sticking out of the ignition slot and while turning the blank key from ACC to ON.  I still see the green key outline appear momentarily before disappearing almost as if the security test takes a little longer to complete.
Also, if you need to redo the set up procedure because you traveled more than 250 miles or even once you are ready to disconnect having arrived at your destination, it is probably a good idea to restart the engine before you shift the transmission out of neutral. That way if the engine doesn't start you can continue towing to an out of the way location to figure out what to do.  I have had this happen to me 3 times in the last 6 months due to a dead battery.

trecil

(My actual name- i.e. not a user name)

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 152444
Thanks. Trecil, you've saved me some research and delivered the answer on a platter! I appreciate your responding to this thread! Hopefully I won't have a dead battery issue since I have a charging wire going to the Honda, but so far we have towed a total of 0.5mi.(test run).
 It seems like everybody has dealt with this issue and found a solution that works for them. It might be nice to compile the data in a vehicle-specific folder for general reference.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 152445
Good information, Trecil! I just ran some tests, and in my 2014 Subaru Forester one can also start the engine using a combination of a plain steel key in the ignition lock and a "chipped" electronic key nearby, although in the Forester the sequence is a little different.

For what it's worth, it seems in my Forester the security test is performed at the moment the key is inserted, rather than when you turn the key from the ACC position to the ON position, as in your Fit.

If the plain key is inserted by itself, a red padlock icon illuminates in the Forester's instrument cluster, and the car cannot be started. Bringing the chipped key near at this point doesn't change anything.

However, if the chipped key is held as close to the plain key as possible while the latter is inserted, the red padlock doesn't appear, and the car can now be started--even after the chipped key is taken away.

Andy Baird
Andy Baird

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 152447
Could a thief still start the car with that key then if left in the ACC position? That would be an issue since you can't remove and re-insert the key with the shifter in N.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 152448
Steve, we tow a 2011 Honda CRV.  I had the dealership cut a dummy key for the car.  This lets you have the key in the ACC position unlocking the wheels, but won't enable someone to drive it off.

With the key in the ACC position, the keyfob does not lock the car.   I hit the driver's side lock which locks all but the drivers door.   That is locked with the key and secures the car when in the market parking lot.

The dummy key as the tow-hookup checklist attached, to make it idiot-resistant.

joel 2013 31 IB 'arvey Orwan

Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 152449
If they key has the electronic anti-theft electronics, yes one could start the car. If the key is a simple one without the electronics, no.   I had the dealer cut one for me.  He was standing by the car with the 'real' key and was disconcerted when I tested it and the dummy key started the car.  When he backed off about 10',  the car wouldn't start.  Test passed. joel wiley

Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 152451
I like the idea of a hidden fuel pump cutoff switch. Even if the thief brakes in and hotwires the ignition/has a key the vehicle won't start.

Of course if you have long scraggily hair, wear worn out clothes that went out of style 30 years ago, constantly listen to rock music and have some interesting artwork on rig, a prospective thief may think twice about even approaching your rig, fearing how crazy you might be.

It has worked for me the last couple years.

bobmooore14

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 152457
"I like the idea of a hidden fuel pump cutoff switch. Even if the thief brakes in and hotwires the ignition/has a key the vehicle won't start."

Bob

Your Cherokee now has a fuel kill switch..
It's a neat device, the engine sometimes will start but will not run for very long, just long enough to get it in gear and then stall. At this point, most thieves will not spend the time to find the hidden switch. The trick is to hide it well but still be easily accessible. Our LD's kill switch is located in the  .......................
Sorry about that.

There are lots of interesting anti-thief ideas that can be used to frustrate people with bad intentions.
None of them are unsolvable but can be enough of a hassle to send them down the road to find a more vulnerable target.

Never had a car stolen but did find one sitting in the middle of the street, with the driver's door open.

Larry
Larry

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 152490
Another advantage to towing a Fiat 500 besides weight (2500lbs) is the steering wheel does not lock and no key is needed in the ignition. Yet all stop and turn signal lights work when attached the the motorhome.
James Allen Jackson