Skip to main content
Topic: Brake Calipers on a 2003 MB (Read 47 times) previous topic - next topic
Brake Calipers on a 2003 MB
Yahoo Message Number: 152276
Just heard from my mechanic, who was replacing the rear brake pads on my 2003 MB, that one of the calipers 'blew up" as he was trying to replace the pad -- whatever that means!

Anyway, long story short, my  sister and her family are planning to take my LD on a trip leaving tomorrow afternoon, so time is of the essence for him to get the right part. He had quite the time finding the right pads. because the ones he got for the VIN # of the vehicle were not the right ones, and he had to try several times before finding the correct pads. He's afraid he might have to go through the same trial and error process to find the right calipers.

My question is, does anyone know what calipers Lazy Daze used on the 2003 MBs, and could maybe give me a part# that I could pass on to my mechanic?

I would be forever grateful!

Thanks, Fern

Re: Brake Calipers on a 2003 MB
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 152278
"Just heard from my mechanic, who was replacing the rear brake pads on my 2003 MB, that one of the calipers 'blew up" as he was trying to replace the pad -- whatever that means!"

Fern

It means one of two things. Either the caliper was leaking or someone pushed on the brake pedal, while the pads were removed, and  'blew' the piston(s) out, effectively scraping the caliper. If the later happened, someone made a mistake.   A leaky caliper is normally described as 'leaking', not 'blown up'.

Rebuilt calipers should be widely available, I use Centric or Motorcraft rebuilt calipers from either Rock Auto or the local distributor, usually replaced in pairs.
When doing our 2003 LD's brakes, I found cracks in all of the caliper seals. They were not leaking but were deteriorating. All four were replaced with rebuilt calipers.
IMG_1489
 Below is from Rock Auto for 2003 E450 cutaway. Note that the left and right sides have different numbers and are NOT interchangeable.
MOTORCRAFT Part # BRCLS203RM{#6C2Z2V563CRM} Loaded; Reman Rear Left; w/ Super Duty Pads MOTORCRAFT Part # BRCLS202RM{#6C2Z2V562CRM} Loaded; Reman Rear Right; w/ Super Duty Pads

Do make sure the mechanic lubes the rear caliper pins.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/sets/72157625459994065/show

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 152290
Thanks so much, Larry!  I'll pass this info on to them and hope it eliminates some guesswork on  their part.  Any idea why the brake pads they got for the VIN # of the vehicle didn't  fit? Would Lazy Daze have changed the brakes that came on the Ford chassis?  Thanks again!  Fern

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 152291
"Any idea why the brake pads they got for the VIN # of the vehicle didn't fit? Would Lazy Daze have changed the brakes that came on the Ford chassis?"

Fern

No idea at all. Lazy Daze does no mechanical work on their new LD's chassis, with the exception of installing the optional Bilsteins. The brakes on your LD are what Ford installed or a previous owner (if a used LD).
Hope your mechanic knows what he is doing, it isn't a tough job except for the size and weight of the parts.

All I can tell you is most of the parts I used, including the OEM Motorcraft brake pads, came from Rock Auto.
It's the best online auto parts store and has an easy to use catalogue.
http://www.rockauto.com/

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 152292
When having the brakes done make sure the mechanic carefully inspects the rotors. Some of mine had heat cracks. I had all of them replaced on Larry's recommendation.

Bob

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 152312
"Hope your mechanic knows what he is doing, it isn't a tough job except for the size and weight of the parts."

I hope so, too. I've had work done there before and everything has seemed fine. Not sure what the difficulty was this time. He did get the correct calipers and got them on in time for my sister and her family to take it for the weekend, so I'm grateful to him and to you!

Fern