Skip to main content
Topic: Generator Help, Spark plug and filter (Read 35 times) previous topic - next topic
Generator Help, Spark plug and filter
Yahoo Message Number: 152251
So it is time to replace the oil, spark plug and air filter on my 2007 MidBath.  I am at home and the RV is in storage.  I thought I would be able to find parts numbers on line.  I have not been able to break that particular code.
Does anyone out there have the part numbers for the spark plug and air filter? Thanks in advance.
John
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Re: Generator Help, Spark plug and filter
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 152255
Thanks Joan but I called them befor I posted the help request. To order the plug and filter one must fill in the generator information.  Apparently the help desk referenced by the site uses the same or similar software.  I called and  told them it was a gas powered 4000 watt micro quiet mounted in an rv.
That was not enogh info. I'll be back out to  the rv in the next week or two and can get the info from the gen set and manuals. I was hoping to replace the air filter and plug on that trip but it is not that big a deal.

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 152257
I have the Microquiet 4000 KY (2003 vintage); the manual for my genset contains no parts numbers. If you find out specific parts numbers (for the items you're replacing and others), please post; thanks!

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 152261
Joan said, "... have the Microquiet 4000 KY (2003 vintage); the manual for my genset contains no parts numbers. If you find out specific parts numbers (for the items you're replacing and others), please post; thanks!"

Will do.

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 152267
Joan & John,

Doesn't the LD come with information about the Generator that was installed the year it was built? If your not the original owner and the previous owner didn't have it can't you call up the "Mother Ship" ( I think thats what you called it, I forget :) ) and they can tell you or where to get a booklet on that Generator.. Just wondering..

JO

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 152268
Jo, the LD manual and the owner's manual (for the Onan Microquiet 4000 generator) contain operating and general care instructions, but neither offers specific parts numbers. And, to make sure that one gets the appropriate parts (if a source is found!), one needs to provide the complete model number of the generator (on the generator itself), including the "spec letter".

This website may help John with his search; some of the parts are not "genuine Onan", but it's a start!

http://www.partsfortechs.com/asapcart/page.html?chapter=0&id=8

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 152269
I see Joan.. Thank you for posting the website also. I always book mark the websites you and others post if I feel it will help me in the future. Learning everything I can as you know.

Thanks Joan, have a great day...

JO

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 152271
You can often get deals on Onan parts via Ebay. This source has worked well for me: Cummins Onan Genuine Factory Spark Plug 167-0263-02 Fits KV Models

909-783-3335

If you send them year/model info on your Onan they will provide any part number you want. I get spark plugs, filters, and other stuff. They have never sent me the wrong part. I always call and check with them before ordering.

bobmoore14

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 153382
The continuing saga...  I changed the plug and air filter on the generator.  I was hoping this would clear a problem I am having but it didn't.  When running under heavy load (AC on) after about a half hour the generator will start surging then die.  When I did a fault check as described in the Onan manual I got a code that led me to believe spark or air cleaner (a 36 code as I recall) but the owners manual is in the RV which is at the storage lot.
The way it is surging made me think of the fuel line problems some LDs have.  I thought the o7 had the good fuel lines.  Also this generator always restarts after a few minutes. I also do not smell gas or see a leak (I understand I may not).
A recent visit to a local RV shop (Restless Wheels RV, Manassas VA) to check the generator and AC showed no problems with either.  But it was very cool outside and the AC may not have been working that hard.  The problem does not occur with the heat or microwave.
The kit I got from Ebay (thanks Bob Moore) also included a fuel filter.  I did not see the fuel filter when I opened the housing.  Also that spark  plug is a son of a gun to remove due to clearance issues for the ratchet.  Ended up using the socket with an open end wench.

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 153383
Correction... an open end wRench.

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 153395
John

Sounds possibly like a fuel line leaking air.
What year LD do you have?

As you know, LD used old fuel line in the early to mid 2000's that is prone to cracking the leaking, usually air sucked into the line and not fuel dripping out.
If this is the case, replacement of the upper and lower generator fuel lines is the cure

One test is to run the generator on a can of gas, bypassing the LD's fuel tank, Connect a new piece of fuel line to the generator's fuel inlet and drop the out end into a gas can, then run the generator,  to see if the problem is cured.
Be extremely careful with the gas can, preventing it from being knocked over.
Have a fire extinguisher available.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 153419
Thanks Larry.  The test you describe is something easily can do.  Is there a inline fuel filter?  When I was changing the spark plug and air filter I did not see one.  Thought that should be replaced as long as I am in there.

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 153422
John,  with a 2007 you likely have an Onan 4KW MicroQuiet.  Mine has a small fuel filter that screws into the fuel pump.  The little rubber hose section that connects the fuel line to the generator is actually attaching to the fuel filter inlet.  I thought I was having fuel line air leaks, but it eventually turned out my fuel pump was failing.  Replacing the fuel pump on the road was an interesting challenge!

Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 153428
Thanks again to veryone that chimed in.   Art, I found a youtube video that talked about replacing the fuel filter and fuel pump.   I do not feel as bad about not seeing the filter and can understand why one would not want to do this on the road.
I thought with an 07 my LD would have been built after the last of the infamous LD fuel line from the early 2000's. But maybe not.
John

07 MB (and yes a 4kw Owan Micro Quiet (KY-K)) A SIMPLE Onan Generator Fuel Pump Test and Replacement Tips

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 153453
John, a year ago our 06 had developed the same problem you described. Tech guy came and and diagnosed the fuel pump and that fixed the problem.

Jim C

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 154193
Well this is embarrassing.  Does anyone that has changed the fuel pump for the generator have a link to pictures where the wires go?

I finally got around to working on the generator this week.  We had the second wettest June on record and the first part of July was more of the same.  So much for excuses.

Once I started taking things apart I realized to replace the fuel filter I has so many things apart I might as well replace the fuel pump while I am there.  The existing fuel pump is very ugly looking and the job seemed very straight forward. The plan was to put everything almost back together, doing Larry's fuel line test before hooking up the line to the fuel tank.

I took pictures as I took things apart.  The problem - now is that I have some wires, two white and a green that are not explained by the pictures.  So obviously I did not take enough pictures.   I did not take pictures of the missing  ground either inside the generator housing or outside.  I gutsy enough to say they all go on the ground together.

I can not believe that green and white would both go to ground so I must have missed some other pictures as well.

These are the pictures I have...(I changed the spark plug as part of this project so please excuse the extra pics)  https://dac.smugmug.com/Cars/Individual-cars/Lazy-Daze-improvements-gadgets/LD-Generator-Project/i-4tfMsqF

If I find out the answer I will add the missing pictures and then put the batch in the files section should the group think this a help.  On the other hand plan B is to admit total defeat and go to a repair shop.

John DaCrema

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 154194
I should have added that the ground that I mentioned is not something someone in an RV can just go look at.  It is under the brain for the Generator and is a real pain to get to.  I am fully expecting to have to go to a shop.  Just hoping someone here has pictures from when they did the job.
John

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 154195
John,
 I don't have pictures, but I did replace the pump and filter in an RV park in Maryland last summer.  It was a royal pain to do under pressure and away from home.  I am assuming this is a 4K MicroQuiet.  Do yo have the Onan Service Manual?  If not I can send you the pdf or give you the URL to download it.  It does contain wiring schematics.
 I had found a detailed set of instructions somewhere online the were my guideline.  But now I can't find them again! I do remember that I moved both the starter solenoid and the control board module out of the way.   It took a lot of twisting and turning to get them in and out.  I would not be surprised that some of the ground wires might be white.  I did manage to connect the +12 lead for the control module to the grounding stud instead of the battery side of the solenoid where it should have been.  Took me a while to figure out that problem!

Sorry I can't be of more help.
Email me at art AT berggreen DOT org if you want.

Art (currently "enjoying" the heat and humidity of NE Mississippi)
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 154198
Thanks Art.  I do have the manuals which came with the LD covering the Owan Microquiet 4000. They are in the RV.  I thought I had seen a wiring diagram on line and some how the idea of looking in those went the same place that taking a picture did.  I would like to blame others or the weather or make a good excuse - but the simple truth is I screwed up.
 It is really frustrating cause long ago I was kind of good at this kind of wrench bending and busting knuckles.  But that was with a old Brit car that had only two fuses for the complete wiring system - one 25 and one 50 amp.  Kind like putting pennies in the holder.
John

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 154199
Hi folks,
 Not sure if this helps, but I just checked on YouTube and found several videos on replacing the onan fuel filter.
 One video had a very good closeup of the wires as it was being removed.

YouTube can be a great resource if you can view them.

Good luck,

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 154200
"YouTube can be a great resource if you can view them."

--- And, if the person's *hands* aren't obscuring the location/object s/he's repairing/replacing! ;-)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 154201
I had the fuel filter changed recently. Make sure to check for leaks. Mine needed Teflon tape to stop them. The last thing you want is a fuel leak.

bobmoore14

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 154333
I want to thank everyone for the comments. I did use teflon tape on the pump and filter assembly.  I will check for leaks before I put everything ship shape.

As suggested I looked at the wiring diagram. The lone green wire is a ground.   It appears the two white wires are grounds.  That would jive with my pictures at the start (these wires are not seen).  One of the two is even wire tied to the green wire that is a ground.

The Owan wiring loom is mostly composed of white wiring.  Still looking on Youtube there appears to be a wire very similar to a wire I am concerned about attached to the starter solenoid instead of going to ground.

The wires I am concerned with would have come only been bolted to either the solenoid or ground.  The connectors are wrong to come from anywhere else.  I do not want to accidentally fry a board or control unit.

Could someone that has a Owan Microquiet 4000 (K series in the SN nr)  take a picture of the wires attached  to each side post of the Own solenoid?

The pictures can be sent to johndacrema (at) yahoo (dot) com or sent as a text file to 703 dash 283 dash 1117.

Sorry to keep pestering the group.

John DaCrema 07 Mid Bath.

UPDATE: Generator Help, Spark plug and filter
Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 154655
Success!!! It turned out to be either the fuel pump (most likely) or filter.  I replaced the pair.

Interestingly enough now that everything is together I might have been able to replace the fuel filter with out taking everything apart (the tune up kit included a fuel filter).  On rear facing side of the 07 MB generator housing there is a rubber grommet that the end of the fuel filter sticks out of.  The fuel hose is connected outside the generator housing assembly.   I believe that if I had just removed the rectangular rubber grommet I might have been able to remove the fuel filter with a deep well socket.

I did run every the generator under load (first using the Larry Method mention above with a external fuel tank) yesterday and again today.  Both times for about 45 minutes.  Partly to make sure the problem had been repaired but also to give any leaks time to show up.  I took to hart the advice about using plumbers tape.  I think if I were to do the job again this month it could be done in a few hours or less.  But hopefully the next time I need to do the job some years will have gone by and I will have to re-invent this particular wheel.

To explane my fear of things electronic... my first venture into working on automotive electrical systems involved "positive earth".  Many normal, negative ground, devices came out their encounters with this car in a bad way.  There is a reason Lucas is the Prince of Darkness

Thanks for all your help.

John DaCrema 07 Mid Bath.