Skip to main content
Topic: Dually Extender Valves (Read 21 times) previous topic - next topic
Dually Extender Valves
Yahoo Message Number: 152134
I recently had a "bit of drama" on my way home from Puerto Peñasco.  Thankfully, I had crossed over into the United States, and was traveling east on Highway 86 about 20 miles from Why, Arizona about 100 miles from Tucson, Arizona.

I had bought the 26.5 Lazy Daze mid-bath from a couple in California last October.  There is no excuse for my stupidity, and when I inquired about the tires I got a vague reply that they were good and the newest ones on the front were three years old.

There was a "pop" (but no change in steering, maybe due to my Steer Safe?), and I pulled off to the shoulder as soon as possible.  The driver's side inside rear dually was shredded.  I have motor home insurance through AARP, but the problem was the nearest provider they could send out was in Tucson.

I waited five hours for someone to arrive.

The road service person told me that some of the tires looked like they had some dry rot.  The "newest" tires were five years old, the dually tires were eight, and the spare twelve.  He also commented that the tire pressure system, (which I didn't have turned on) had a leak at the dually tire that blew out.  He said the faulty tube/valve was the probable reason for the lead and the subsequent blowout.

Not wanting to tempt fate further, but having to drive another 300 miles to Las Cruces after Tucson I was at the doorstep of Discount Tire the next morning a half hour before they opened.  I had all six tires replaced with Michelin LTX M/S 225/75R/16 Load range E.

Since the tire pressure monitoring system was leaking on the blowout tire, I had them all taken off.

I know that a lot of people use tire pressure monitoring systems, but after this bad experience I think I'd like to go with dually extenders.  I know a lot of people in this forum swear by the TPM systems, but after this experience I don't trust them.  I'd rather get reliable dually extenders, so that I'm able to have the tires checked frequently.

I'm a little miffed (OK a lot miffed) at Discount Tire in Tucson.  I seem to be missing several of the Kaper II decorative lug nut covers after returning home.  I called Lazy Daze and they directed me to call the company directly.  I explained the problem, and the representative told me "that seems to happen to folks a lot," and if I sent her one of the lug nuts she would match and sell me the missing ones for $1.50 each.

I've been trying to "do my homework" and read up on tires, dually extenders, and TPM systems.  I've read that the dually extenders have to be installed correctly and I'm a little concerned that a "production" tire store like Discount Tire can install them properly.  Any suggestions on where to go?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Sincerely, Cheryl

1998 Lazy Daze (26.5 mid-bath) 70,000 miles
Cheryl (a.k.a. Desert Diva)
1998 Lazy Daze (26.5 mid-bath)
2002 Honda CR-V

Re: Dually Extender Valves
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 152141
"He also commented that the tire pressure system, (which I didn't have turned on) had a leak at the dually tire that blew out.  He said the faulty tube/valve was the probable reason for the lead and the subsequent blowout.
 Since the tire pressure monitoring system was leaking on the blowout tire, I had them all taken off.
 I know that a lot of people use tire pressure monitoring systems, but after this bad experience I think I'd like to go with dually extenders.  I know a lot of people in this forum swear by the TPM systems, but after this experience I don't trust them.  I'd rather get reliable dually extenders, so that I'm able to have the tires checked frequently"

Cheryl

So, lets get this straight.
You are driving on ancient tires, one blows and, and with the TPSM turned off, you didn't notice is the tire is leaking. Some tire guy tell you that he thinks the extenders were was the cause of the blowout.
Now you don't think that a TPSM is worth trusting.

Am I missing something here? Most blowouts are caused by low tire pressure, leading to overheating.
An operational TPSM would have notified you of a leak.
Valve extender hoses of any type have been a constant source of problems, with many members here having leaks, especially as they age (your rig is a 1998).
While hose are easier to install than valve stem extenders (the brass type), they are not what I would call "reliable".

My recommendation is replacing any hoses with extended brass valve stems (Tire Man or Borg).
It's your choice if you want the safety features of a TPSM or to run with no indication of tire pressure until one blows.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 152142
I also own a 98 MB and purchased it used several years ago.  It did not have a monitoring system nor valve extenders.  Discount Tires replaced my tires and I supplied extenders at the time of installation which they installed with no problems.  The extenders have worked fine for over 7 years now.  They also lost several of my decorative covers the first time I put new tires on.  When I had the tires replaced this last year I pointed out the cover issue and this time had none missing.

Bryan

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 152146
I second what Larry says about the stainless steel clad hose type of valve extender. I used those for several years on previous motorhomes and one day I had to remove one. It fell apart in my hands. The crimp ring holding the valve end came off. They all went into the trash.  The solid brass tube extenders is the best way to go.  I also have been using the non-flow through TP sensors for the last 5 years with no leak issues and if one was to leak I would know immediately and correct the problem. The TST system is the best of two systems I have had. As others have said here before, the cost of the TP monitoring is cheap insurance.   Mike
2010 RB "Monty"  & currently: 2021 RB "Villa Verde"
2004 Born Free 26'
1998 Beaver Patriot 33'
1992 Barth Breakaway 28'
1982 Fleetwood Jamboree 23'
1982 Dolphin/Toyota 22'

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 152149
After reading of this happening so often, I think I will develop the habit of checking all the wheel covers before leaving a tire shop.

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 152150
Thank you, Larry . . . I did find my hammer getting cocked on that one, and your post covered it nicely.

To sum up:

For ease of checking and filling the rear tires, install the Tireman or Borg "solid" valve stems (I have Borg).

Inspect your tires for condition often, Michelin recommends at least annually after 5 years. I know some recommend changing tires at 5 years regardless of condition, though I cannot find that recommendation coming from Michelin. I'm in the 10 year camp, especially if the RV is stored indoors away from damaging UV and ozone - but again, on condition.

Get a TPMS, besides the convenience of not having to check tire pressure manually before each trip, the TPMS can save a lot of heartache and could well prevent an accident by warning of low tire pressure or high temperature *before* things get to the tire blowout point. I cross the Sierra on Hwy 50 several times a year, a nightmare scenario would be a front tire blowout in one of the many turns in the mountains.

bumper
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 152152
"After reading of this happening so often, I think I will develop the habit of checking all the wheel covers before leaving a tire shop.'

Better still, remove the covers before going to the tire shop.
Replace them when returning home.
Too many wheel covers are damaged or lost by unknowing or caring tire shop personnel.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 152154
I had the Borg dually extenders that I purchased on line installed at a Goodyear tire store for $45.00. They are reliable, making checking pressure a snap, and even added some bling as they are chrome plated. I would also recommend metal valve stems on the front tires. I had an inside dually tire go flat from a leaking stainless hose extender. Luckily it was caught before a blowout.

Although I don't have them (yet) TPMS systems are worth there weight in gold. I have talked to many that have avoided major issues by having them. This is the first time I have ever heard of one failing. IMO that should have been repaired before traveling, instead of turning them off. Ignoring maintenance problems when traveling with an RV is asking for trouble. Common sense and precaution rule safe enjoyable travel.

Bob

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 152158
"I've been trying to "do my homework" and read up on tires, dually extenders, and TPM systems.  I've read that the dually extenders have to be installed correctly and I'm a little concerned that a "production" tire store like Discount Tire can install them properly.  Any suggestions on where to go?"

Cheryl, when I had my last set of Michelins installed at Discount Tire in Westminster, CO, I had the tech put on Borg valve extenders. I watched while he did it and when there was a glitch, I actually got the rep from the place I bought them on the phone and let him talk to the tech. So far, so good. No problems.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 152159
I have mentioned before and will repeat again that I recommend everyone watch every move the tire installer makes when s/he installs new tires. There are just too many things to go wrong and pieces to loose not to pay close attention. If tire store mgt. won't let you watch, I'd take my business elsewhere.

Chris

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 152161
Chris,
 I ordered the Borg Dually Extender Valve Kit (chrome) online for about $105.00 (which included about $10.00 in shipping.)  I called Discount Tire here in Las Cruces, and they are going to install them for me for free.
 Many people swear by a tire pressure monitoring system, the the previous owners of my Lazy Daze told me it never worked properly and gave false readings.  I had a 1985 Toyota Dolphin for many years with dually tires in the rear, and just made sure that I checked my tires frequently and replaced them when necessary.
 Thank you for giving me good information and not "lecturing me," as I felt in another response.

Sincerely, Cheryl

1998 Lazy Daze (mid-bath) 70,000 miles
Cheryl (a.k.a. Desert Diva)
1998 Lazy Daze (26.5 mid-bath)
2002 Honda CR-V

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 152162
Please don't judge all TPMS systems based on your experience with one system.  Most folks (including us) have had a great experience with their systems.  I'd never be with one again.  They are starting to be mandated on regular cars.

Some reasons: 1 - Checking all 10 wheels (we tow) from the comfort of the cab even if it is freezing or pouring rain.
2 - If I pick up a nail or screw while underway, I'll get an alert well before tire failure.
3 - If a toad tire went flat, I am not likely to notice until major damage has occurred (possibly fire).
4 - I lose no air checking the tires. I usually go many miles/months before topping off tire pressure.
 I not trying to lecture you on what you should do, just give you my perspective, Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 152166
I'd never be with one again.

Oops, Darn lack of an edit function! I MEANT to say  I'd never be withOUT one again!

Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 152169
I only get tire work done at Discount Tire.  At most of their facilities you can stand in the parking lot area and watch them work on your vehicle.  They will not allow you to watch from within the actual service area.  I believe that this is true of most "automotive service" shops including a lot of service stations.  This policy is driven by their insurance company;  it minimizes the liability of the company.  In 12 years I have only had one "tire shop issue"; a Michelin dealer (non-Discount Tire) broke one of my rear Tireman stems because they were not careful about how they used the "tire machine" to dismount a tire.
 If anyone is thinking about going to Ridgecrest to have the Tireman (Chuck) install stems for you I would advise calling him first.  I haven't been to Chuck's place for about a year.  In March of 2014 I had him install stems in my new SOB.  Chuck was telling me about recent events with himself and his wife Sharon (?).
 A few years back Chuck had decided to retire and he and Sharon were going to travel.  They acquired a small travel trailer and Chuck had started to shut down his shop.  Then Sharon develop physical and/or mental problems.  She spent several months in the hospital and care facilities.  Eventually Chuck could bring her home, but she needs constant care, which Chuck does.  He decided to keep his shop open a bit longer.  However, he had already disposed of some of his equipment and the inventory of tires, etc.  He still was installing stems and would obtain and install tires.  I feel that he was doing this primarily for previous customers.  When Chuck goes to the shop to work he brings Sharon along but she just lies on a couch in the office area.  When I last saw them a year ago, Chuck said that he was about to shut down the shop.  He would still be selling stems via the Internet, mail order, etc.  Some company actually builds the stems for him.  He just inventories the stems and sells them.  He also designs new stems to fit new wheel types; like the Sprinter.  If I recall correctly he told me that he was making arrangements with someone to keep and manage the stem inventory for him and to ship orders to customers.  He  can manage the Internet sales from the road.
 I got the impression that he intended to shut down the shop and hit the road within the next few months after I talked with him.  That would mean that he is probably gone by now.  The next time that I head north I intend to take a side trip through Ridgecrest and check on Chuck.

Doug Baker

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 152178
We had Chuck rotate tires last week. He is still in business but plans to be out of it by the end of this year. He has bought a new trailer and is retiring, he says. Do, by all means, call first. He keeps little inventory so has to order tires as needed. But it was a joy to have work done and nothing missing or fouled up when we left!

Linda Allen
 "If anyone is thinking about going to Ridgecrest to have the Tireman (Chuck) install stems for you I would advise calling him first. I haven't been to Chuck's place for about a year. In March of 2014 I had him install stems in my new SOB. Chuck was telling me about recent events with himself and his wife Sharon (?)."

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 152180
"We had Chuck rotate tires last week. He is still in business but plans to be out of it by the end of this year."

I must be missing something here. Why would anyone go all the way to Ridgecrest (a crappy dying military town in the desert) to have extended valve stems installed at an inflated price? Any competent tire shop can do it. Why do so many act as if the "Tireman" invented extended valve stems. If he retires he should join the likes of P.T. Barnum due to his marketing prowess.

Extenders have been around for decades. Just look at the dually wheels on old tow or freight trucks.

I see a business opportunity here, but can't do it because I don't want to take advantage of people.

Bob

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 152189
Art,

Good to see the list "Some Reasons" you pointed out for the TPMS. I don't have a LD yet but Im gathering info so when I do get her I'll know what I want to have put on if it's not already installed... Thanks Art..

JO

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 152199
Well actually he did very little marketing. Word of mouth was and is the best. Never used him but I would in a heartbeat if I wasn't 3000  miles away. My local shop assured me they knew what I wanted and I didn't need to order anything. But when I picked up the RV it had short rubber stems in and they hadn't realized what size hole the ford wheels had in it for the valve stems. Almost impossible to add air in the rear inside dual. Only had the brass for larger truck tires. Si I sure wish i would have had Chuck available in my area..

And this is a pretty good tire shop in Lancaster, Pa.

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 152202
"My local shop assured me they knew what I wanted and I didn't need to order anything. But when I picked up the RV it had short rubber stems in and they hadn't realized what size hole the ford wheels had in it for the valve stems. Almost impossible to add air in the rear inside dual. Only had the brass for larger truck tires. Si I sure wish i would have had Chuck available in my area."

Too bad you relied on an unknown quantity. If you had contacted Borg they would have directed you to the right product. Don't believe what your local shop tells you. Get a recommendation from a qualified tire shop that is nationwide and will stand behind their work. This is not rocket science, but some need costly babysitters.

Bob

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 152209
Bob,
 If you're a troll, then please disregard this and the joke is on me.  Otherwise, please don't be so quick to dismiss the opinions and experiences of others, many of whom (unlike myself) have been contributing to the forum for years.  Differing opinions are one thing, persistent ridicule is another.
 In the case of "Tire Man" Chuck, it seems that half of the Lazy Daze owners on the forum have used his service and I don't recall a single complaint about the parts, the service, or his price.  Then consider the numerous horror stories from other (nationwide or otherwise) tire shops including missing or wrong parts, incorrect air pressure, etc.  Given that, in addition to my experience with his service on our new rig two weeks ago, I can completely satisfied and can understand how many of his customers might come off as evangelists.
 And while Ridgecrest is admittedly a remote location for most of us, this was a perfect opportunity for our first trip to Alabama Hills, which I also cannot recommend highly enough.
 I currently own no Borg or Apple products, but I trust that you thoughtfully considered all options and made the best decision to suit your own preferences and situation.  I can assure you that I have, but I am also willing to acknowledge that other members made intelligent decisions in choosing products which in some cases might not be Steve Approved or Bob Approved or George the Retired Plumber Approved.

Steve
2015 TK

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 152210
Bob:  I like Steve's response.  Over our eleven years of LD ownership we have had issues with tire valves from other companies.  We switched to Chuck "the tire man" and have had no problems since.  We are in Florida so I ordered the extenders from Chuck.  He delivered as promised within a week.  The "kit" came with detailed instructions and I was fortunate enough to observe the installation and the man who installed the valves followed the instructions to a t.  I don't feel that this site is one in which we should run anyone down because we don't like his price or where he chooses to live.

Bob in Florida   SE 5
Kathy and Bob on the Go

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 152215
Some of us like Ridgecrest. It's like a breath of fresh air after Bakersfield.
 Tire Man Chuck doesn't seem the type to take advantage of people. He knows what his products and knowledge are worth and charges a fair price for what amounts to at least half a day's work what with all the interruptions of phone calls from around the country.
 Chuck is well past retirement age and is still doing hard physical labor muscling truck tires around a shop without any help even to answer the phones. He explains what he's doing and why it matters. He is hospitable enough to offer his out of town customers overnight parking with plugins, and even brings you coffee in the morning.
 He doesn't really strike me as the P.T. Barnum type at all. No slick website, no pushy salesmen, no fancy ad campaigns. His products and service speak for themselves.
 My only quibble is that he has completely neglected to provide pinball machines and chilled chardonnay to entertain his customers while they wait, a personality flaw the Tire Man quite notably shares with the Lazy Daze factory.
fu
2015TK

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 152217
"If you're a troll, then please disregard this and the joke is on me.  Otherwise, please don't be so quick to dismiss the opinions and experiences of others, many of whom (unlike myself) have been contributing to the forum for years"

Steve, I don't see myself as a troll, having been here a few years. I try to offer sensible advice, and not jump on the bandwagon with others, unless it makes sense or is tied to logic. I fail to understand why driving many miles, in some case hundreds, to have something as simple as tire valves put on makes sense. If others wish to spend there time and money doing this, that's there choice. Some are free thinkers looking for a better way. Some need hand holding.

Since you brought up Apple products, let me tell you what led me there. Before retirement, I was in IT for a number of years. After A+ and Microsoft certifications, one of my jobs was to find a reliable platform that was easy for non savvy computer users to grasp. These folks were road warriors that traveled the world often with no local access to computer support. Needed a product from one company that could offer software, as well as hardware support to these folks. I couldn't find a Microsoft based vendor that could offer that.

If folks have had problems with alternate vendors to the Tireman, they should state where and whom to keep others from making the same mistake. I picked the Borgs based mainly on the fact a friend that is a mechanic for TNT Bestway recommended them, and several on this forum had positive experience with them. Since they have worked well for me, I shared my experience with the group. Motive - To be helpful. I have no stock or interest in any vendor, Borg or otherwise. Only share what has worked for me, or others I can reference. Have learned more from others in this group than I can offer.

It's a nice day out. Going for a ride on my BSA. Peace to all.

Bob

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 152223
Well said...I did not understand how others might miss the giant ker-whumpfing noise & feeling I had with a recent blow-out, but was appreciative of Andy's tactful reminder of YMMV.  I've so much to learn, & the general lack of condescension & pretension on this site makes me feel welcome.  Thx to Chris/Joan/Larry as moderators & the wealth of knowledge that makes thi a community...I hope to someday put faces with the names on here.

Lynne LDy Lulubelle Lilly, 4-legged Alarm
Lynne
LDy Lulubelle, Green '05 31' TB
Lilly, the 4-Legged Alarm

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 152226
Thanks, Lynne, for the kind words. Our goal on this forum is to make everyone feel welcome and offer as much information regarding Lazy Dazes and RV-related topics as makes sense.
 Let me note that Joan is not a co-moderator but contributes regularly for which we all are grateful. Judie Ashford is our other co-moderator.

Chris