Skip to main content
Topic: lighting the oven (Read 14 times) previous topic - next topic
lighting the oven
Yahoo Message Number: 151898
Im having trouble getting the oven to light in my '84, i can get the pilot light lit, but the long bar wont light so i cant use the oven, any ideas on what to do?

Re: lighting the oven
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 151901
Just went through this today myself. Not sure if yours is the same (mine is an '88) but I had to pull the owners manual out, and it says the pilot has to be lit for several minutes for the thermo coupler to heat up and open, then you can turn the oven up to the desired temperature. It took 3 or 4 minutes heat up,  then it was fine. Hope this helps!

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 151902
On my 2001 stove only have to light pilot for 15-20 seconds before I can crank up the heat. Still takes about 1 minute before the whole oven burner ignites. I don't know why they didn't use a piezo igniter for the pilot. It's awkward to sit on the floor so you can get a pipe lighter in there to light pilot.

bobmoore14

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 151907
I went through more than two years of wrestling with my Atwood Wedgewood Vision Oven. Here is what finally worked:

1. Remove the knob.

2. Put a ball of aluminum foil in the hole.

3. Press the knob and use a butane lighter to light the pilot.

4. Keep the knob depressed and let the pilot stay lit for 5 seconds to heat up the thermocouple.

5. Release the knob. The pilot should stay lit.

6. Turn the knob to the desired temperature.

Basically, it just lets one depress the knob further than before. What a relief to have an oven that lights on the first try now, every time!

I first read about this simple fix here:
--
Jan Forseth
2007 27' Midbath named Footloose

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 151910
"I don't know why they didn't use a piezo igniter for the pilot. It's awkward to sit on the floor so you can get a pipe lighter in there to light pilot."

A battery powered igniter, the type used on propane BBQs and stoves, could be adapted to eliminate the difficult lighting sequence. No idea why this approach is not used.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_361422-451-9086459_4294610376__?productId=50292461&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1¤tURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 151912
Hi folks,

Just a couple of thoughts on this matter.
 First: thermo couplers do go bad after time. I've had this happen with my hot water heater and my oven at the "sticks and bricks" home. The end result is much as you described or no ignition at all. Thermo couplers are relatively inexpensive and pretty straight forward to replace.
 Second: And this is just a presumption on my part, but one reason I can think of for not having a piezo electric starter in an RV oven could be for safety.
 Just imagine what would happen if a gas leak occurred in the oven line and the piezo ignited after gas accumulated over a period of time (driving down the road while things are rocking & rolling). This could spell disaster.
 RV's are very susceptible to fire. Not a good thing. So I would think twice about installing an after market piezo in your RV oven.
 The stove top is a different matter since gas can't pool and accumulate in the open (gas rises after all).

Just a thought.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 151914
On my '03 the oven has a "pilot safety valve" that is a hydraulically activated valve.  When the pilot is lit, the flame heats up a fluid in the sensor which exerts pressure on a diaphragm, opening the main valve and allowing gas flow to the oven burner. If the pilot flame is weak, it may not create adequate heat\pressure to open the main valve.  If it has been reliable until recently, assuming adequate gas pressure, it is possible that there is a small restriction in gas flow to the pilot.

If the pilot flame seems strong and is fully impinging on the sensor, I would suspect that the main diaphragm may be sticking, or more likely that the sensor capillary has chafed somewhere along its length and lost part or all of the liquid charge.  A replacement is the only remedy in that case.

Hope this helps.

Bill 2003--23'FL
Bill
2003 -- 23' FL

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 151915
The stove top is a different matter since gas can't pool and accumulate in the open (gas rises after all).

--- Propane is heavier than air, and "sinks"; this is why LPG detectors are located at floor level.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 151917
Kent said: " gas can't pool and accumulate in the open (gas rises after  all)." Hot gasses rise, That is why the carbon monoxide detector and  smoke detector are located high on the wall or ceiling. Propane is heavier  than air (specific gravity = 1.5219) and sinks to the floor. That is why  the propane detector is located near the floor. RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 151918
Amen!  Getting to the floor is not the problem, but getting back up again is sometimes a challenge.
Lynne
LDy Lulubelle, Green '05 31' TB
Lilly, the 4-Legged Alarm

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 151920
Good to know--Mac the Fire Guy at the Escapees Boot Camp recommended shutting off the gas when driving...this seems like another good reason to shut it off.
Lynne
LDy Lulubelle, Green '05 31' TB
Lilly, the 4-Legged Alarm

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 151927
I stand corrected. Thanks for that. What about the lack of the piezo igniter in the oven? Any thoughts on that?

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"