Skip to main content
Topic: Perfect full-time location (Read 19 times) previous topic - next topic
Perfect full-time location
Yahoo Message Number: 151882
Has anyone here come across a location in their travels that they thought would be perfect for staying put, but in their RV or other camper?  I realize there are a lot of variables here, but I'm just curious as to how often this happens.

Thanks in advance for your response,

Glenn

Re: Perfect full-time location
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 151883
I would consider a number of the Escapees co-op RV parks...location would depend on what you like as far as climate and weather.

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 151884
Extremely personal choice on this subject, but Escapees Evergreen Coho RV park in Chimacum, WA comes close, but I haven't stuck long enough to see what it is like year round. For me, just about any place in the NW fulfills the "perfect" if such a critter exists.

In reality, home in my Lazy Daze is the perfect place no matter where I travel or park it. Now that is as close to perfect as one can get, in my humble opinion.

Melinda
2011 27' MB Http://wovenjourney.blogspot.com
2011 Mid Bath

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 151885
Before the Big C forced us off the road fulltime, we had planned to have a leased lot and a BIG storage shed near Sierra Vista, Arizona.  As it turned out, even though we are now [almost and sometime] part timers, we stayed with the Sierra Vista plan and have not been sorry.  A lot of calculations went into the mix, but it was a clear winner, when stacked up against the vagaries of other venues, for living here any parts of the year that seemed necessary.  Winters can be chilly; summers a bit toasty, but bearable year around.

We had fallen in love with the Pacific Northwest, and had leased a house there, but had last-minute thoughts, and bought out the contract and came to Sierra Vista.  We reasoned that moving all of our things to the exceedingly moist Olympic Peninsula, and then going away in the motorhome when the weather was bad, leaving our possessions to mold and mildew, was not good planning.  We would likely have better luck having our things in the dry climate of Arizona, and going in the motorhome to the Olympic Peninsula when the weather is good there.

As things turned out, the illness hit full force just as we were about to implement the Washington/Arizona/motorhome/leased lot plan, so everything was scrapped, and we moved into a house.  But not an ordinary house.  Oh, no . . . this is a modular house in a mixed community of RV's and manufactured homes.  So the atmosphere here is more "campground" than "development", and suits us just fine.  Many of the other residents here are part time RV'ers, snowbirds that formerly were RV'ers, or others who are aware of the different ways of RV'ers.

This type of mixed-use complex is not uncommon, as we inspected several in different states.  Here there are usually about a third of the RV spaces taken up with more or less permanent residents in their RV's, with some monthlies, and a few overnighters.  We have fabulous amenities, and have no complaints.  There is good camaraderie and neighborhood spirit.  It reminds me of a well-run Escapee co-op.

Please do not tell anyone about this - my husband has sworn me to secrecy!  ;->

Virtual hugs,

Judie http://dorrieanne.wordpress.com

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 151889
"Has anyone here come across a location in their travels that they thought would be perfect for staying put, but in their RV or other camper?"

I join the others that mentioned Escapees parks. The ones I frequent are Pahrump, NV. and Coursegold, CA.
depending on time of year. Full hookups are available for $15 and $21 respectively. You can also pay monthly at a reduced rate. Parks are clean, well maintained, many amenities, and secure. Very relaxed with nice friendly people and clubhouse events. You must be an Escapees member to stay. The yearly fee well worth it in my opinion with many other benefits.

I'm a roamer and a couple months at a time is about my limit before wanting to hit the road. If I decided to stay put I would look into purchasing a lot, although there are waiting lists.

bobmoore14

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 151890
If there was a perfectl place, we would not own an LD and we wouldn't travel so much Good luck in your quest for the mythical 'perfect' place.
IMO, the nearest to perfect place would be along Califoria's central coast, nice weather year round.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 151892
I'd think the big Island of Hawaii would be perfect if I could just get there.  Probably get bored just driving around in circles though.

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 151894
I'd just like to slip in a plug for the only Escapee park in Oregon, Timber Valley in Sutherlin. About 100 of the lots are present year around. We are there less than half the year.  The rest use the park exclusively during the warmer months. If it gets too hot (occasionally) we take our LD one hour to the coast or mountains. If you like a quiet setting in a rural area (but only 8 miles to a Costco) then this is perfect. Stop by to say hello. We are returning tomorrow. Dale & Gwen, lot 93

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 151900
Check the following website:  Jojoba Hills RV Resort - Home    (www dot jojobhills dot com)
 There are now over 20 Lazy Daze rigs that call this SKP Park in Aguanga, CA, home.  For more info or with questions, send an e-mail to djaugh at sbcglobal dot net.

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 151909
We have been looking for that place for over 6 years now.

We are spending a month in San Diego right now and I must say the weather is great and with 100 micro breweries you can't go wrong.

There are lots of places we really like but just not year round. Although, now, Judie has us thinking again.

Jim C

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 151911
We have looked at a number SKP parks and have found none that have a desirable year-round climate.
Washington is nice but they have a long, dark, moist winter. Jojoba bakes in the summer.
Every other park has its own problems. No place is perfect.
IMO, ideally SKP parks are a place to live seasonally...until you get too old to travel.

I guess the only 'perfect' full-time location is full-timing in your LD, parked seasonally in a nice place.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 151921
I'm not an Escapee member (yet), but I have been considering making Texas my domicile and that would mean joining for the mail forwarding service.
 The SKP park system seems very complicated and I've not found a concise place to get all the details on how all that works.  I did read that no reservations are allowed (though that might just be for that specific park) and I tend to like to plan ahead so as to know I have a place I can count on in each area.  That's especially true when trying to visit friends and family in a specific area.

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 151923
No website, sorry.  It's Arizona's special secret!  PM me, and I'll tell you more about it.

Judie

Non-typical brevity because this is being .  :-)

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 151925
Some Escapees parks do take reservations. Coursegold, CA. for example.
Park of the Sierras, Camping Rates

If you want a complete explanation of the lot system best to talk with the office manager at park you are interested in. In my experience, they take phone calls and are happy to answer any questions about rules, procedure, etc.

While some parks don't take reservations if you call them a day or two before arrival and inquire on availability they will usually hold a spot for you. Kind of an informal reservation system. They also have dry camp areas you can hang out in for minimal cost till a full hookup space opens.

If you consider joining know that if you are a veteran you can get a discount on membership. Just have to fax a copy of your DD214.

bobmoore14

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 151926
Once you join the Escapees, it will become clear.  The relatively complicated campground system is clearly explained in the magazine and on the site.  Each campground has its own rules, pretty much, but unless you are part of the official owners at a given campground, there is a pretty specific limit on how long you can stay in a rental lot.  There are three separate "flavors" of campground, which you will read about.  We owned a lot at Escapee's North Ranch, near Congress, Arizona, for twelve years, but never stayed there - eventually sold it.

You can read more about this at:

https://www.escapees.com/Parking/Default.aspx>

The Escapee concept is excellent, and I have considered whether that would be a better choice for us, but truth told, I think I am happier here where there is no board of directors, etc. to squabble about things.  Our park is owned by a private party, and he makes all the rules, none of which seem unreasonable to me.  I like that there is a 15 MPH speed limit, and that picking up after one's pets is mandatory, etc..  It makes living here a pleasure, rather than a chore.  Having said that, Jojoba Hills has always been in my sights, but the year-round weather and the California location are just not quite right.  I also looked at Coho in Washington, and, while entirely lovely, the weather and relatively remote location were the drawbacks there - for me.  I guess I am at an age now where being comfortable, weatherwise, and having proximity to "goods" are important factors.  Others may feel differently.

We've owned a modular house in here for thirteen years, so that says something.  As far as I know, there are no time limits.  You can stay as long as everything suits you.  There is a smallish storage house on each RV lot, which is a big help for offloading excess things while you are parked here, making more room in the rig.  The amenities are not lavish, but are more than adequate.  The library and exercise equipment are our favorites, but there is a huge indoor pool that is heated, and an outdoor one that is not, as well as a tile spa.  I haven't used any of these "water features", but am told that they are superb.  Above all, we feel safe here.

And, as I mentioned, this concept is available in a lot of places.  Look in a directory under Mobile Home Park in an area where you wish to be and call to see if they have accommodations for RV's.  Many do.  This gives you a chance to learn about a community before deciding to put down roots, even part-time ones.  Choosing a home base, even if you travel a fair amount, is an important task that takes a lot of thought.

The cheapest place may not be the best for your own needs.  While the Escapee mail service is excellent - we used it for many, many years - almost any town has a UPS Store that provides the same service(s).  We've been using it for about six years now.  Benefit?  When we are in town, we can just pick up the mail instead of having it forwarded from Livingston, which, with the huge increases in postage fees, had become rather onerous.

Obviously each person's needs will be different, so it is good to get as much input as you can from others so that you can compare their needs and solutions to your needs and solutions.

Virtual hugs,

Judie http://dorrieanne.wordpress.com

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 151928
I feel like such a klutch, but I can't figure out how to PM you.  I took a guess at your email address and it bounced.  The HELP section just says to use the email address you provide in your comment, but I don't see one.  I did look at the website you provided, but didn't see any email address associated with it either.

Thanks, Glenn

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 151929
Bob is correct that Park of the Sierras does indeed take reservations, with two exceptions:  Its Annual Meeting in October, and its annual 4-day fund raiser, Stagecoach Daze, in April.  During those times rental sites are FCFS -- if you're lucky!

I've been fulltiming since 2003, but the constant accumulation of miles on my RB  dictated selecting a home base to pause between trips.  I was originally on the wait list for Jojoba Hills but jumped at an opening in Park of the Sierra because of its locale, and  its buy-in member fees were half of those at Jojoba, as are its annual membership and maintenance fees.

Park of the Sierras is a 99% member-run SKP co-op park in the Sierra foothills between Fresno and the Southern entrance to Yosemite NP.  I can't say enough positive things about this park.  It's a beautiful and inexpensive place to pause, and the volunteer community is unique and successful.

FYI, until the end of this year, the park has a camping promotion for SKP members:  pay for four days ($21.00 including electric) and get three more free.
2003 RB

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 151930
You don't have to be a resident of TX to be a member of Escapees. I've been using their mail forwarding system for 3 years now.  If needing a new domicile, consider SD vs TX. The SKP park system is not complicated. You can read in detail on the http://www.escapees.com web site. Look under "Parking" to get better details on the types.  I spent the winter of 2013/2014 hitting every Escapees park around the country, to see which I liked better. They all have their pluses and minuses. No reservations required, but the more populated parks, I would suggest getting reservations during prime season for that individual park. But I have never been turned away...

Try it for a year and see if you like it.  Good luck.

Melinda
2011 27' MB
2011 Mid Bath

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 151935
Hi Glenn - Try my name with no spaces at earthlink dot net.

Judie

Non-typical brevity because this is being .  ;->

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 151936
"FYI, until the end of this year, the park has a camping promotion for SKP members:  pay for four days ($21.00 including electric) and get three more free."

Lorna, Thank you for making us aware of this promotion. Now I know where to stop on my way to Socal from NV. The park at Coarsegold is the most beautiful SKP's park I have seen. Boondock area is a little "wonky" but it's worth it for the scenery. Some nice riding areas nearby for my motorcycle.

I wonder if it's warming up there yet?

bobmoore14