Skip to main content
Topic: K2 wheel cover, lug nut extender and wheel cover nut. (Read 30 times) previous topic - next topic
K2 wheel cover, lug nut extender and wheel cover nut.
Yahoo Message Number: 151826
OK, so the next problem has reared it's ugly head. After getting the rig back from Cordelia RV, I discovered (2 days later) that both lug nuts and nut extenders are missing on the rear driver side dulley. I didn't notice before because the wheel covers were on and seemingly in place. When I noticed a gap between the cover and the tire, I looked closer and discovered the missing nuts. It is obvious that Cordelia RV, when they replaced the black tank, had to remove the tires to do the job and then didn't replace the nuts. The cover stayed on thanks to Tire Mans brass tire stems. Otherwise it might be long gone as well.

Two calls to the RV center have yet to be returned and I have little faith that they will. But it's too late for me to get back there to pick them up before I leave, so I would like to find a place to replace both. Can anyone help with part numbers? I will probably check out a few truck shops or tire shops to see if they carry the items. I think auto part stores probably wouldn't have them. Other suggestions? Other RV shops carry these?

Thanks, David G
2005 MB

Re: K2 wheel cover, lug nut extender and wheel cover nut.
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 151827
There is an RV store/repair facility in the San Fernando Valley that carry's the nuts and covers. I purchased one there not long ago. Recommend you send a message to lw5315us in this group. He knows the name and location as he drove me there. They are well stocked and carry other handy items like replacement light covers, LED stuff, fuses, etc. I was like a kid in a candy store at the place.

bobmoore14

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 151828
Discount Tire in east Tuscon is replacing my right rear K-II...they either neglected to re-install (I lean toward this, since the threaded cylinders/extenders were also not there), or installed incorrectly, when I bought tires after a dually blow out on the way back from Escapade.  I didn't discover it 'til the next day in northeast NM on my way back to north MO.  Discount Tire agreed to take care of the problem on my first call to report what I'd discovered, & they contacted Todd at the Mothership for replacement info (though they initially tried to pass off aluminum replacements;  I'm thankful for Andy Baird's info that his replacement K-II was stainless steel, so I got the right thing).  After a followup from Doug Baker, I also confirmed with Todd that the dummy nuts & extenders were coming with the replacement.

Might suggest removing your K-II before you leave, lest the Tire Man's brass stems not continue to keep it in place.  Doug Baker said he always removes his K-IIs himself, before any work is done...your experience, coupled with mine suggests I need to put Doug's words on a sign to remind myself in the future (long with "Trust, but verify").  I still have a steep learning curve, but I'm thankful for all the helpful advice from folks on this site.  Good luck.

Lynne LDy Lulubelle ('05 31' TB) Lilly (4-legged B & W alarm)
Lynne
LDy Lulubelle, Green '05 31' TB
Lilly, the 4-Legged Alarm

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 151829
In my experience if you don't remove the covers prior to work being done on wheels/tires, you will wind up with broken/missing parts. This happened to me but luckily I ran into a fellow LD owner that had swapped his wheels for the Alcoa Aluminum wheels. He gave me his old covers with all parts and wouldn't let me pay for them. Sometimes you get lucky.

bobmoore14

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 151832
Lynn, I completely sympathize with you. I did remove the covers as soon as I saw what was happening. And yes, I do believe they neglected to replace your lug nuts and extenders.

There are lots of Discount Tire stores around. I'll keep them in mind.

Thanks, David
2005 MB

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 151837
"There is an RV store/repair facility in the San Fernando Valley that carry's the nuts and covers. I purchased one there not long ago.  They are well stocked and carry other handy items like replacement light covers, LED stuff, fuses, etc. I was like a kid in a candy store at the place.

Bob

It was Coast RV, in Agoura.
http://www.coastrvcenter.com/ When I need something RV related now, it's where I go.
They have a good selection of parts and supplies as the store supports a repair center next door.
I have no experience with their repair shop.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 151843
Thanks Bob. I don't think I'll be headed that far south to be able to stop by there and it's too late for mail order. Seems like this item will be fairly available at a lot of outlets, so I'll just bring along the wheel cover and check in at various stores until I find what I need.

David
2005 MB

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 151861
Can end users purchase directly from Kll?  It appears they have the correct lug nuts.

Bill 2003--23'FL

kaper2.com
Bill
2003 -- 23' FL

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 151862
A couple of years ago, I bought replacement lug nut extenders/caps for my 2003 directly from KII; I called them to verify that I was getting the right items. I don't know what their policies are now for dealing directly with customers, but I suggest calling and asking.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 151863
I have purchased directly from K2 for a fellow LD owner. They asked if I was a Jobber and I told them no. They gave me the discount anyways. Note that if buying the wheel covers you have to purchase in pairs. They won't sell you just one.

bobmoore14