Skip to main content
Topic: Trip Advice from OC to Mammoth Lakes in July (Read 8 times) previous topic - next topic
Trip Advice from OC to Mammoth Lakes in July
Yahoo Message Number: 151730
All,

We're contemplating a trip in July to go from South Orange County CA to Mammoth Lakes and I am a bit hesitant due to the elevation gain from sea level to 6900 feet.  We have a 31 foot and tow a CRV.  I driven have never driven the 395 and am concerned about the heat in July and the elevation challenge.

What do you think?  Are my concerns justified?  I'd appreciate any guidance you might have.

Thanks,

Jules
'O6 IB Anniversary Model
Sue, My Copilot
Carlie, our canine princess

Re: Trip Advice from OC to Mammoth Lakes in July
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 151731
I have a 2006, 27 foot mid bath, with a toad.  Have done the drive several times.  I consider it a piece of cake.  But, that's just me.

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 151732
395 and the Eastern Sierra is one of our favorite areas.  The only majorl climb is the Sherwin Grade just after leaving Bishop going north.  Bishop and further south can be hot in July, but the Mammoth area is around 7,000' and usually much cooler.  The Mammoth area gets very crowded that time of year.  You probably need reservations or arrive early during mid-week.

Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 151734
Just north of Bishop, on 395, there is about a 20 mile grade, known as the Sherman grade. It can be quite a test pulling a tow. So, I always have my wife drive the jeep up that portion of our trip to  the Mammoth area. It's not absolutely necessary but I feel it takes some of the wear and tear off of the LD.
Dale from Downey.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 151735
Yes, it can be hot in the Bishop area in July but surely the cooling system on the LD can handle it. If the temperature gauge, while climbing to Mammoth Lakes, gets beyond your comfort level, turn off your air conditioning. It will be getting cooler as you approach Mammoth. Also, be sure to make a campground reservation, the area is crowded that time of year. I hope you enjoy boondock camping, if so, be sure to stop at the Alabama Hills on the way to Mammoth. Lone Pine is a small town to the south of Bishop, it has ONE stop light. Turn left (west) at the stop light and drive 3 miles to "Movie Road", then turn right into the Alabama Hills. You can park anywhere among the rocks.  In July it will be hot but cools off at night. 395 is one of the most enjoyable roads to drive in California, especially along the eastern Sierra. Here are some photos of our 2014 stay in the Alabama Hills before we purchased our LD. RV Travel, Lots of Boondock Camping

Enjoy.

Dale

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 151739
395 and the Eastern Sierra is one of our favorite areas.
---- Mine, too! I never tire of exploring that side of the "hills"; so much variety in terrain, elevations, "scenics", camping opportunities (and off-roading, for those who have capable vehicles), and historic areas.

Two good area recreation maps are AAA's "Eastern Sierra Guide Map" and Benchmark's "Highway 395: Carson City to Lone Pine". The AAA map is available from offices of the Automobile Club of Southern California and AAA Northern California, Nevada, and Utah; I don't know if the map is available from other districts of AAA. The Benchmark map (and atlases and other maps; excellent resources!) are at http://www.benchmarkmaps.com/ and/or Amazon. If using Amazon, make sure that the map or atlas is the latest publication; Amazon's offerings are not always the most current editions.

A note on online ordering from Benchmark; the order/checkout page (payment information) on the Benchmark website does *not* show as secure.

The Sherman is a long pull; turn the AC off.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 151749
Jules,
 I live in Mammoth so I know the north part of the route well.  As others have said, the only difficult part for the engine would be the climb up the Sherwin Grade.  That's a steady climb from 4500' to 7000'.  I have 26.5' MB on the E450 chassis and tow my Jeep behind it.  I tend to be very careful with my LD so I always try to avoid overworking it on grades.  The Sherwin Grade in July, especially in the afternoon of a hot day towing my Jeep would be more than I'd wanna subject my engine to.
 So one idea (and what I would do) is to just plan your journey to spend the night in Bishop and then leave early the next morning.  It'll be cool and the air will likely be denser.  The denser air gives the engine more power and the cooler air makes overheating less likely.  The increased engine power is one of the reasons pilots like to take off in the early morning, particularly from high altitude runways (another reason is winds are usually lighter also in the morning in the mountains).

-Mike

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 151755
I'm in OC and go to Mammoth occasionally.  Sherwin Grade out of Bishop en route to Mammoth is the big climb-4000 to 7000 ft.  But once climbed you're nearly to Mammoth.  When I've had concerns, I've spent the night in Bishop and did the grade first thing in the morning.  You could also drive up the toad separately from Bishop-it wouldn't be that far for the two of you to drive.
 For reference Sherwin Grade is about 45-50 MPH without a toad-and driven at an easy pace (no engine racing).

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 151758
Of course; "Sherwin", not "Sherman"; thanks for the correction!

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 151761
"Just north of Bishop, on 395, there is about a 20 mile grade, known as the Sherman grade. It can be quite a test pulling a tow. So, I always have my wife drive the jeep up that portion of our trip to  the Mammoth area. It's not absolutely necessary but I feel it takes some of the wear and tear off of the LD. "

Like so many, we love and visit the Eastern Sierra annually.
Our 2003 FL, towing the Jeep, pulls Sherwin grade very slowly (30-MPH at times).
In hot weather, to speed things up and to reduce the strain on the engine, I have my wife drive the Jeep from Bishop to the top.  We do the same on the grade up and over Tioga Pass too.
The Jeep is easy and fast to connect and disconnect so this doesn't require a big effort.

BTW, the E450 cooling system, when in good shape, is more than capable of keeping the temps in a safe range pulling these grades. It's the very low climbing speed and the noise of extended high RPM use that encourages us to separate the toad and to drive it separately. Plus my wife gets some driver's seat time, something she enjoys.

My best suggestion for this trip is to do it early in the season while there is still some moisture left, the last two or three years have had short flower blooming seasons, due to the minimal snow pack.
Many of the Eastern lakes went dry last year.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 151790
We just made that run last month on our way to Anza Borrego SP.  Great way to go even in summer.  You stay reasonably low until the Sherman Grade North of Bishop.  Take it easy on the grade, maybe turn off the AC.

Boulder Creek RV, 4 mi S. of Lone Pine is a good stopover for side trips.   Right at the Alabama Hills, Whitney Portal road out of Lone Pine,  Manzanar  internment camp is 20 mi N.   Somewhat beyond Mammoth is Lee Vining and Mono Vista RV.

East side of the Sierras is wonderful any season.

Joel & Mary

'arvey  13 31 IB & 2011 CRV towd behind.

Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 151794
Bridgeport is a nice stay in summer with a side trip to Bodie to check out the Ghost Town. The Frosty Cone in Bridgeport has good burgers and ice cream goodies. Mcgee Creek up the grade from Bishop used to be a nice place to camp close to the hot springs. Haven't been for years. Used to race in the Mammoth Mountain Motocross for years when I was a kid. We enjoyed some great fishing and kegs of beer up there. Mammoth has become somewhat of an upscale town with expensive restaurants. Lost some of the old school charm when chain stores moved in.

bobmoore14

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 151897
All,

We're contemplating a trip in July to go from South          Orange County CA to Mammoth Lakes and I am a bit hesitant due          to the elevation gain from sea level to 6900 feet.  We have a          31 foot and tow a CRV.  I driven have never driven the 395 and          am concerned about the heat in July and the elevation          challenge.

What do you think?  Are my concerns justified?  I'd appreciate        any guidance you might have.

Thanks,

Jules

Pulling  Sherman          grade north of Bishop is a long pull especially in the summer        mid-day heat.        Driving the toad is always a good option. The grade is to        Interstate standards,        separated with wide shoulders. Pulled it many times with older        MH's with heavy Toads        and would not hesitate again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbwujqhE2sI

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com