Skip to main content
Topic: Burning Mab (Read 8 times) previous topic - next topic
Burning Mab
Yahoo Message Number: 151724
Do Lazy Daze owners go to the Burning Man event?  Is it worthwjile to go to once?  Any thoughts or input on this subject would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Re: Burning Mab
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 151725
Some members may be able to give you a first-hand account, but after watching this video yesterday

http://www.gonewiththewynns.com/keep-cool-extreme-heat-ideas-burning-man> ,

I am sure that this will never be on my bucket list.  ;->   Others - especially younger folks - may think differently about the experience, and will be pleased to share their thoughts with us.

Virtual hugs,

Judie http://dorrieanne.wordpress.com

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 151728
I'd like to go ...once.  My husband, not so much.
It's apparently quite an odd spectacle.  It would be different and memorable.
Kristen

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 151729
It does look kind of interesting.  Just walking around to see everyone and everything would be quite something.  Probably not my kind of people, but then I'm not even my kind of people.  I have now looked further and it appears tickets are something like several hundreds dollars a person plus $50 a vehicle.  I just assumed this whole thing was free!  Still would love to hear from someone who has actually been.

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 151736
It's a big commercial operation.  They have a good website.  Tickets are in high demand.  I think there may be some 'lottery' system involved in even obtaining a ticket.  The fine white dust at the site 'injects' itself EVERYWHERE - mhome would be extremely dirty.
Kristen

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 151740
Tickets are in high demand.
--- AFAIK, the 2015 event was sold out within minutes of opening the ticket lines in mid-February, even at almost $400.00 a pop. Lots of websites, blogs, and photo collections on this event.

Here's a link to the pricing structures:

http://tickets.burningman.org/

Takes the concept of "YMMV" to a new dimension! ;-)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 151743
Friends that have gone have told me they would never take their motorhome /car/ van there again due to the extremely fine dust that gets into everything when the wind blows and the wind blows a lot.
If you have respiratory problems, it may not be a good place visit, dry lake alkaline dust can be very irritating.
It's hot and there is no shade so you open the windows and vents...and embrace the dust.
Running the A/C all the time probably isn't possible, they probably have limitations on generator usage and, besides, you couldn't carry enough fuel.

It does looks like a great place to take a rental RV. Be prepared to be questioned by the rental agency as to its destination. They most likely have restrictions, after having a few of their units come back in filthy condition, in past years.
We have had one or two requests on the forum, in past years, looking of an rental LD to take to BM.
There were no volunteers, hmmm. Good decision.

It does look like an interesting event for someone a few decades younger.
I think I'm beyond that type of fun now but you don't know unless you go.
Don't forget to pickup some high SPF body paint, don't want things to get burnt.
http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=31585466

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 151746
I think my questions have been answered.  The fine dust, taking a rental rv, and information regarding body paint are probably all show stoppers.  Actually, I think going there for a couple of days to look at the strange people would almost be worthwhile.  But, considering it will be $800 for two of us makes me think a national park somewhere would be more fun.  Thanks to everyone for the information.

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 151792
My only input is that after the wave of hippies brings their bicycles back from the playa, there's sticky clay in every bearing, orifice, and crevice of what's left of a bicycle they try to get us bike mechanics to revive.  It's a nightmare.  If you value your vehicle at all, don't drive it there.