Skip to main content
Topic: Wiring Issue with lights (Read 17 times) previous topic - next topic
Wiring Issue with lights
Yahoo Message Number: 151687
In our '91 TK the entry way light (on the ceiling by the bathroom door) and the light above the front bunk do not come on, and I am not sure of the wiring path to troubleshoot them. I believe the switch by the front door should turn on the entry light, but while I have voltage to the entry light switch, there is no voltage at the ceiling light. The wire colors are different so there must be a connection somewhere between the switch and the light. Does anyone know where the interconnect might be or are the switch and light not really connected?
 For the bunk light, there is a double switch next to the bunk and 1 switch turns on the fan, but the second switch does not seem to work anything. I am assuming the second switch should turn on the light, but the fixture has voltage to it whether the switch is on or off. I have put known working lights into the fixture but it still does not work. One thing that has me a bit puzzled is the voltage I am seeing at the switch in both of the above instances is ~7.8VDC, but I expected to see 12VDC.
Can anyone help me with the wiring path for bunk light, and the expected voltages?
 Alternatively, if someone can point to a web page with a schematic, or possibly provide a copy I think I should be able to figure it out.
 On a related note, is there a source for an Owner's Manual for a '91? I have asked the factory and they say I am out of luck. If anyone has a copy they would be willing to sell, I am very interested,

TIA, Jay

Re: Wiring Issue with lights
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 151719
Hi Jay,
 On my 1991 TK, I had to take the entry switch apart and clean the insides real well.  Now the porch light and main entry light work fine.
 The switch does come apart and you will see there are two separate switches that will need service.
 On my unit the overcab bunk light is a fluorescent unit, like the ones in the back, with its own switch.  Perhaps yours is different.

-Bill

---

Jay Peterson Mar 22 8:20 AM

In  our '91 TK the entry way light (on the ceiling by the bathroom door)  and the light above the front bunk do not come on, and I am not sure of  the wiring path to troubleshoot them. I believe the switch by the front  door should turn on the entry light,

Re: Wiring Issue with lights
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 151747
Thanks Bill and I think I have it figured out. As you said the fluorescent over the bunk is operated by a switch on it and not one of the wall switches. The two wall switches in the bunk area operate the fan and the floor light by the Kitchen. The entry light is operated by the switch by the door, but my switch was intermittent, and the previous owner had installed an incorrect bulb in the fixture. I replaced the switch and bulb and it working, although the light pulses a bit when on. I am not sure how a DC light does that, but I guess I'll be finding out.
--