Skip to main content
Topic: Coffee Pot (Read 28 times) previous topic - next topic
Coffee Pot
Yahoo Message Number: 151638
Has anyone found a portable inverter that's "strong" enough to power one of these small, 5 cup coffee pots?

Seems a bit much that the generator is my source of a cup of java in the morning.

Thanks!

Bill 2013 30' TB
2013 31' Silver Twin Bed
Semi-retired 6/21....

Re: Coffee Pot
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 151639
We use a melitta filter pot. I put the coffee in the cone and the water in a saucepan before going to bed. Then when we wake up under caffeinated all we have to do is turn on the burner under the saucepan, boil the water, then pour it through the filter. No electricity needed.
We don't use it for camping but we also have an old Pyrex percolator that is stove-top as well Lk with 87 tk Sent by iPhone
2018 24' Twin King (replacing 1987 22' TK)

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 151640
I have used the Melita cone as described but recently purchased a coffee pot which pulls 500 watts for five minutes while brewing. I've used my 600 watt inverter to give me that power. Of course that means 50+ DC Amps from the batteries for that 5 minutes. My batteries have always recovered quickly from my solar panels. The problem is, my new-to-me 30 IB doesn't seem to have any whole house inverter and 50+ amps is too much for a DC plug. I hate to start the generator for a cup of coffee.

Dale

solar controllers vs AGM batts
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 151641
Hi

My  Concord AGM coach batteries went bad after almost 8 years of service, while  using a Heliotrope charger from AM Solar. Lately I have been hearing about  people on the forum experiencing early failures of their AGMs, and attributing  this to the Heliotrope charger. Some report seeing high charging voltage as high  as 14.5 volts. I certainly have never seen voltage this high while on solar  power, on my  battery monitor. I do see 14.4 when on shore power, while the  batteries are charging in the bulk charge mode. This doesn't last too long and  is acceptable.

It makes  me wonder though. Perhaps the Heliotropes go bad at some point? Perhaps I should  switch to the BS 3000i. Parsimoniously, I don't really want to spend the $282  for the 3000i unless it is necessary. But neither do I want to spend $600 for  two new Concord AGMs for at least  8 more years.

Any  thoughts or comments based on your experiences?

Tom

PS I  really like AGMs. They are clean and carefree. I think at one point I went three  or four years without opening the battery compartment door. But the main reason  I have AGMs is they take a charge faster. On some days there is only a limited  amount of good sun, and if my batteries come up to full charge in four hours  instead of the five or six hours flooded cell batteries would take, well, that's  a good thing.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 151642
Why  would you have to start the gen to make coffee? Can't you  just use a  percolator on the stove top?

It's  good enough for us.

Tom

Has anyone found a portable inverter that's "strong" enough to power  one of these small, 5 cup coffee pots?

Seems a bit much that the generator is my source of a cup of java in  the morning.

Thanks!

Bill 2013 30' TB

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 151643
Of course you are right Tom! But I've had "solar" coffee for nearly a year and hate to give that up, it's so easy. In my defense, we also like to make a smoothie for breakfast and the "Bullet" blender also uses only 500 watts.

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 151644
Bill,

A small electric coffee maker might use something like 650 watts while brewing. A 12 volt source would have to be capable of of 55 to 60 amps to power an inverter that could power that appliance. Since most cigarette style outlets are limited to 10 amps, one of those tiny portables won't cut it. There are larger portable inverters that would work, but they are direct to battery connect like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Bright-PW1100-12-Inverter-1100/dp/B000NIG2FG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426830574&sr=8-1&keywords=1000+watt+portable+inverter

As other's suggest, a stove top might make more sense for most.

That said, we use an electric coffee pot in "Yonder", mostly for the convenience. But we have two battery banks, a 2000 watt whole house inverter and 400 watts solar to help make up for our squandering electrical ways.

bumper
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 151645
I cast my vote for Melitta!  It is our ONLY method of brewing one-cup-at-a-time coffee on the road and at home.  We don't even own a coffee pot of any sort.  The pour-over method produces a great cup of coffee with no leftovers.  I fill my 16-ounch Nissan Thermos vacuum bottle in the morning and happily sip on it for well over an hour.  No electricity needed for brewing or keeping that second cup warm.

Virtual hugs,

Judie http://dorrieanne.wordpress.com

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 151647
I'm with Tom, a stove top percolator makes the best coffee - it was the first thing I bought for The Pearl!

Pat
The Pearl - 2000 31'
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most."

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 151657
We have a blue "porcelain" stove top percolator from REI.  Goes well with the counter top and takes about the same amount of time to brew as our electric pot.

Bob & Judy Kruppa 2003 MB, Empyrean
Bob & Judy Kruppa
2003 MB - Empyrean
NE 70

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 151658
Bumper: So the REAL question for me, how to connect an inverter to the "whole house"? Did you do this yourself or have it done by someone else?  I have no problem installing an inverter to the batteries but don't know how to get the power into the system. Thanks, Dale

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 151659
Another vote for Melitta. We found a silicone filter cone that collapses flat and takes up virtually no space. Heat the water in a kettle on the stovetop, brew directly into our two stainless thermal 16 ounce mugs.
 Confession time: We like to grind the beans fresh for each brew, so we do have an electric coffee grinder that works well with a cheap 100w inverter and doesn't drain the batteries the way a heating element would.
fu
2015TK

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 151660
You can get a "cowboy style" (blue speckled enamel on steel) one at Cabela's for about $25 that works just fine.  We use it when we're dry camping and don't want to run the generator.

Syndi

--
2014 TK
The Super Flea

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 151661
Yes, I installed a Prosine 2000 myself (I used to be a licensed electrician in CA, but I sure wouldn't want to live in a house I wired! Only reason I had the license is 'cause of the stupid CA laws and electricians union pressure - another story).

The Prosine has a built in bypass switch so is simply wired between the LD transfer switch and the AC breaker panel. Since it doesn't have the capacity to run the air conditioner, nor would I want that, I installed a small AC sub-panel which is wired to the LD transfer switch directly, bypassing the inverter. Removing the stock converter handily provides room for adding the sub-panel. It sounds complicated, but is fairly simple for anyone who is mechanically competent and has a passing comprehension of electricity.

An added benefit of this type installation, besides the obvious, is that the Prosine includes a very capable 100 amp 3 stage battery charger. With two battery banks (450 AH total), I often see initial charging rates of >110 for a short while before it drops below 100 amps.

There should be lots of pictures of the install in the Yonder album (though I haven't looked there in some time.

bumper
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 151668
When appropriate and allowed, I turn on the genset for about 15 minutes and make coffee in the morning. That's about the only time the genset gets used when without hookups.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Coffee pot
Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 151646
All right!  It's been way too long since our last coffee thread. Just wanted to remind folks that past threads on this subject have been captured in a very comprehensive LD Companion article.

WxToad -- Sent from WxToad's Galaxy S5 via K9

Re: Coffee pot
Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 151651
Oops; forgot to include this:

I use the Hario glass drip cone and pot in the house and in the LD; the set-up is very efficient for one or two "morning coffee" drinkers. I prefer glass because it's easy to clean and doesn't impart any "taste". The Hario pot is a bit "delicate", but reasonable care should prevent breakage.

http://www.amazon.com/Hario-Range-Coffee-Server-800ml/dp/B000P4B4LU/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1426856553&sr=8-12&keywords=hario+v60

http://www.amazon.com/Hario-VDG-02B-Glass-Coffee-Dripper/dp/B002VUSWGQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426856666&sr=8-1&keywords=hario+glass+coffee+dripper

I use Peet's coffee(s), but, as ever, YMMV! ;-)

Joan
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
2003 TK has a new home