Skip to main content
Topic: numbers for RV Year 2014 (Read 8 times) previous topic - next topic
numbers for RV Year 2014
Yahoo Message Number: 151636
Total Miles for the year 9169 Total  Gallons of Gas 999.6531 Total Cost of Gas $3460.16 Avg Cost Per Gallon $3.49 Highest Cost Per Gallon $ 4.15 Lowest Cost Per Gallon $ 1.99 Avg Miles Per Gallon 9.1721 - of course this included generator runs - without gen run 9.8014

Propane Use Total Gallons  21.75 Total Cost $57.00 Avg Per Gallon $2.65

RV Insurance $642

State Fees Oregon $324.50

Camping Fees $1007.98

Sooooo my guess it cost me about $3.00 and change per mile, maybe a tad more if I toss in replacement, loss opportunity and deprication cost.

Glen
personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Re: numbers for RV Year 2014
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 151652
Okay my friends what I didn't state was my methodology.  Included in the per mile calculation was all the 'money' that left my wallet.  All expenses included camping expense, gas, propane, toll fees, insurance, etc.  Oh I also included the cost of the replacement of the RV electric steps that found a method to redesign my homes front steps.  The only things I didn't include were food, depreciation, and future value expense.
My guess and this is just a guess including those factors would up the per mile to about $5 or so.  I would think the per mile cost would drop as the RV ages.  I would thing the two curves of real cost vs replacement cost would cross in ten years at the rate that I use this RV.
personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 151655
I would think the per mile cost would drop as the RV ages.

---- I doubt that the overall operating cost will decline as the rig ages; "aging" in any vehicle usually means increased maintenance and equipment replacement costs. Of course, total "operating costs" are calculated using a large number and variety of factors, many of which vary over the years; one year's expenditures for maintenance, equipment, and travel expenses may be completely different from another's. (And, each person's experience and costs are unique!)

Just my own experience (YMMV, for sure; I know that some do track every expenditure. Their money, their choices.), but I haven't "spread-sheeted" every dollar I've spent (so far!) for anything and everything on my 2003 and/or haven't calculated depreciation, replacement, and or "loss opportunity" (What is this?). I'm hardly profligate with cash, and I'm always up for good deals, but I just figure that it costs what it costs to enjoy the "travel by money pit" lifestyle!

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 151664
Did you calculate on a per-excursionon-day basis? joel 2013 31-IB 'arvey

From: "Tf Hafford alloy66@... [lifewithalazydazerv]" To: "lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com" Sent: Thursday, March 19, 2015 6:49 PM Subject: [LD] numbers for RV Year 2014

Total Miles for the year 9169 Total  Gallons of Gas 999.6531 Total Cost of Gas $3460.16 Avg Cost Per Gallon $3.49 Highest Cost Per Gallon $ 4.15 Lowest Cost Per Gallon $ 1.99 Avg Miles Per Gallon 9.1721 - of course this included generator runs - without gen run 9.8014

Propane Use Total Gallons  21.75 Total Cost $57.00 Avg Per Gallon $2.65

RV Insurance $642

State Fees Oregon $324.50

Camping Fees $1007.98

Sooooo my guess it cost me about $3.00 and change per mile, maybe a tad more if I toss in replacement, loss opportunity and deprication cost.

Glen
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 151673
For me, these are the important cost sectors:
 Cost to own: depreciation due to age, interest cost on present value, yearly license tabs, insurance Cost to drive: fuel, depreciation due to miles accumulated, tires, scheduled maintenance, repairs Cost to live in it: RV park fees, propane, internet, satellite TV and radio
 On our previous SOB, age depreciation was initially the largest, but after three years, fuel costs exceeded everything else, as we drove about 10,000 miles/year when gas was $3 to $4. Even at 15 years and 170K miles, repairs, tires, etc were minor compared to fuel costs. For example: $3/(9 mpg)*10,000 = $3,333.
 I separate the costs like this so it's easy to estimate what the yearly costs will be, as it depends greatly on the "mission profile". Andy Baird's 3000 miles a year, staying in low cost campgrounds means the Cost to Own is likely the greatest factor; for us, with a lot of traveling, but staying at low/no cost places, the Cost to Drive was the biggest factor. Some friends of ours don't drive much, it's about 10 years old, but they stay for months in $800/month RV parks, so Cost to Live In It is probably the big deal.

Adding them all up and dividing by miles doesn't seem like a very informative number, as the "$/mile" would vary greatly with the mission profile, even if the total dollars remained the same, nor would it suggest ways to reduce the cost of RVing.

Eric Greenwell

Hafford  [lifewithalazydazerv] wrote on 3/20/2015 6:41 AM:
2005 Jayco 24SS

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 151676
For me, these are the important cost sectors:
 Cost to own: depreciation due to age, interest cost on present value, yearly license tabs, insurance Cost to drive: fuel, depreciation due to miles accumulated, tires, scheduled maintenance, repairs Cost to live in it: RV park fees, propane, internet, satellite TV and radio
 On our previous SOB, age depreciation was initially the largest, but after three years, fuel costs exceeded everything else, as we drove about 10,000 miles/year when gas was $3 to $4. Even at 15 years and 170K miles, repairs, tires, etc were minor compared to fuel costs. For example: $3/(9 mpg)*10,000 = $3,333.
 I separate the costs like this so it's easy to estimate what the yearly costs will be, as it depends greatly on the "mission profile". Andy Baird's 3000 miles a year, staying in low cost campgrounds means the Cost to Own is likely the greatest factor; for us, with a lot of traveling, but staying at low/no cost places, the Cost to Drive was the biggest factor. Some friends of ours don't drive much, it's about 10 years old, but they stay for months in $800/month RV parks, so Cost to Live In It is probably the big deal.

Adding them all up and dividing by miles doesn't seem like a very informative number, as the "$/mile" would vary greatly with the mission profile, even if the total dollars remained the same, nor would it suggest ways to reduce the cost of RVing.

Eric Greenwell

Hafford  [lifewithalazydazerv] wrote on 3/20/2015 6:41 AM:

>

Okay my friends what I didn't state was my methodology.  Included in the per mile calculation was all the 'money' that left my wallet.  All expenses included camping expense, gas, propane, toll fees, insurance, etc.  Oh I also included the cost of the replacement of the RV electric steps that found a method to redesign my homes front steps.
The only things I didn't include were food, depreciation, and future value expense.
My guess and this is just a guess including those factors would up the per mile to about $5 or so.  I would think the per mile cost would drop as the RV ages.  I would thing the two curves of real cost vs replacement cost would cross in ten years at the rate that I use this RV.

Must have used the “new math” being taught these days.
 [mailto:lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com] *Sent:* Thursday, March 19, 2015 10:12 PM *To:* lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com

*Subject:* Re: [LD] numbers for RV Year 2014

Try about 60 cents per mile. Recheck your math.

John A Wozniak

Total Miles for the year 9169

Total  Gallons of Gas 999.6531

Total Cost of Gas $3460.16

Avg Cost Per Gallon $3.49

Highest Cost Per Gallon $ 4.15

Lowest Cost Per Gallon $ 1.99

Avg Miles Per Gallon 9.1721 - of course this included generator runs - without gen run 9.8014

Propane Use

Total Gallons  21.75

Total Cost $57.00

Avg Per Gallon $2.65

RV Insurance

$642

State Fees

Oregon $324.50

Camping Fees

$1007.98

Glen

Thanks everyone for your replies.  I normally do not look at the total cost of owning an RV.  I have it for pleasure and normally stay in Federal or State campgrounds or off road so I do not incur expensive camping fees.  I prefer the wilderness, and the cost of a hotel room is so much more expensive than camping.
I just had the pleasure of trying to located a room in Phoenix, AZ, and the cost to be close to the airport was over $200 a night.  Thus camping seems extremely cost effective even with the cost of owning a declining asset and the price of fuel.  I was just looking for the pure MPG average on either a Lazy Daze 24' to 26.5' or a Born Free.  We have decided to stay with either one of these.

Terry