Skip to main content
Topic: Installing a direct charging line from LD coach battery to toad batt (Read 12 times) previous topic - next topic
Installing a direct charging line from LD coach battery to toad batt
Yahoo Message Number: 151486
Hi all, I've been running into an ongoing problem with my EvenBrake running down the toad battery too much. So I want to install a charging line from my LD coach battery (not the house batteries) to the toad battery to keep it charged enough. I thought this was discussed in the forum before, but I can't seem to find much reference to it, and The Companion doesn't seem to cover it.

What must I keep in mind? Is it more than just running a proper gauge wire from one battery to the next? Does both a positive and negative line need to connect to the batteries?

I will probably have the work done, but I want to be prepared when I talk with the installer. If it's simple enough, I could do it myself, but what are the opinions here?

Thanks,

David G
2005 MB

Re: Installing a direct charging line from LD coach battery to toad
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 151487
'Coach' battery is the same as the 'house battery', so I assume you want to charge from the chassis battery. What is extremely important is to tap from a fused line that is active only when the ignition is on. If there are none such spare, then create a new fused position from the fuse box switched buss line. For the ground, you can tap a connection from the frame, but do so from the main frame ahead of the rear frame extension.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 151488
Thanks Steve. This gives me a little base knowledge for when I speak with the installer. And yes, I did mean the chassis battery. The word just escaped me.

David
2005 MB

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 151489
It really is as simple as connecting the positive leads of the two batteries.  However it is essential that you provide circuit protection near the batteries on both ends.  Auto reset circuit breakers work well.  The ground wire is already in place with your towed wiring connection.

If you want an elegant solution you can use a Towed-Charge device like the one here:

http://www.bestconverter.com/Toad-Charge_c_125.html

Monti

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 151490
David, I've been using the Toad Chage http://rvpowersupply.com/toadcharge.htm for the last 3 years on my 2010 CR-V. Before having it installed, the car would not last a day's towing without the battery going dead. I've driven the last 3 days from Denver to LA and the car started fine at the end of each day.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 151491
"installing a direct charging line from LD coach Battery to toad battery"

When I had my Stay-n-Play brake system installed in my CR-V (2010), the tech installed a connection from the Ford battery to the CR-V battery, but it necessitates my driving with the headlights on as I drive. I do that anyway, so I had no problems with that type of hookup, and it's been just great. No battery problems at all. Been using it now for about 5 years.

I have no idea about the actual wiring, but I thought it might help to let you know what I have installed. And some of the folks with know how may be able to tell if it's an easy set up for a non-professional.

Barry "O" 06MB Ruby Red
2006 27' MidBath

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 151502
Thanks all for the suggestions, advise and recommendations. Hope to get this done in the next week.

David
2005 MB