Skip to main content
Topic: Tire Blowout (Read 8 times) previous topic - next topic
Tire Blowout
Yahoo Message Number: 151306
Hi All,

I came across two videos on tire blowouts today.  One pertains to RVs.

Solution to a blowout: Don't stomp on the brake! Apply MORE gas to retain control and then slow down.

Short Michelin video on blowouts

Tire Blowouts

Blowout video for RVs.  Good explanation regarding vector forces on the RV during a blowout.

How to Handle a Tire Blowout in Your RV

Bob
2000 MB

Re: Tire Blowout
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 151523
I finally got around to watching the video. I can not understand how adding power makes it easier to control a vehicle with a blown tire! Getting off the gas pedal will slowly reduce the speed of the motorhome, which seems like a good thing to me.
 The only explanation that makes sense to me is they are lying to achieve greater safety: perhaps by telling people to press on the gas pedal, they are more likely to avoid using the brake right away than if you told them "take your foot off the gas pedal, but don't put it on the brake pedal".
 Until I see a better explanation, I will do what I've always done with tire trouble: take my foot of the gas pedal, ensure I have control of the vehicle, then gently use the brake as needed to come to a safe halt.
That's what I did when I was racing cars, driving dune buggies, and cars. Now, all that was over 35 years ago, because I have not had a blowout since we began using steel-belted tires in the '60s! My cars haven't had a flat tire since then, but I have had some flat tires on pickup campers and motorhomes, due bolt punctures, defective tires, and leaking valve stems.

Eric Greenwell

rbkarrow wrote on 2/24/2015 10:30 AM:
2005 Jayco 24SS