Skip to main content
Topic: How do you receive UPS shipments when you're boondocking? (Read 9 times) previous topic - next topic
How do you receive UPS shipments when you're boondocking?
Yahoo Message Number: 151161
We are on the road in our MB for about a third of the year. Getting mail forwarded from home to a general delivery address is pretty straightforward, but how do you get shipments like Amazon orders when you are boondocking?

We are at the Pilot Knob LTVA near Yuma. I've tried looking on Google and in this group history for ideas, but I'm coming up dry.

Thanks!

Charlie 1999 MB "Gandalf the Grey"

Re: How do you receive UPS shipments when you're boondocking?
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 151164
I think you could arrange with a nearby business to receive your package(s) for you as you boomdock.  After all, I believe that a boomdock situation probably has no address.  If the place does have an office then there is your ship to address if you pre-arrange it with them.  You would want to know their hours of operation too and a gate code, if any.  When you set up an additional "ship to" address in Amazon you can specify the gate code, etc. and whether weekend deliveries are acceptable.

I believe that if UPS does not have that address in their system for possible deliveries, then the alternative than using another business address is to request shipments via postal (USPS).  That would go wherever you get your postal mail.  Could be held at a particular post office for your pickup.

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 151166
Another possibility would be a UPS Store.  Many medium size and larger towns have them now.

Dale

Re: [LD] How do you receive UPS shipments when you're boondocking?
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 151167
There are several UPS Stores in Yuma.  Why not contact one and find out if they'll accept a package for you?

Linda Hylton
Linda Hylton

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 151172
You could join Escapees and use their mail forwarding service. Many of us handle all our mail that way, including packages. It's convenient, because they accept shipments from all carriers--USPS, UPS, FedEx, you name it. They hold your mail until you ask for it, then send it to you wherever you are (most often to a General Delivery address, so you can pick it up at the local post office). You do have to pay for forwarding the mail, so in effect you're paying postage twice (unless you have Amazon Prime ;-).

If you're just talking about one or two packages, a few times a year, you can find a local UPS Store and have them shipped there. You'll typically pay about five dollars per package when you pick them up.

Andy Baird

Travels with Andy
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 151174
Amazon uses several different shippers, and does not give you a choice of shippers. You can set up a shipping address to General Delivery at the closest US Postal Service location to you. Other shippers cannot ship to a USPS location. Amazon also offers storage locker pickup in many locations, some in 7-11 stores. When you set up a shipping address, if a storage locker option is available in your area, it will appear as an option in the shipping address section.

Kevin Lindsay Garden Grove CA 2000 Lazy Daze 30' IB
Kevin Lindsay
2000 Lazy Daze 30 IB

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 151179
Charlie, my first try is to see if there is a UPS Store (search Google for "The UPS Store") in the area.  If so, I contact them and get their address to use, and to let them know that I am having a package sent there.  There is a fee for this service of a few dollars, but it has worked well for me.

Ken F in NM
'08 MB

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 151182
Thanks for the great input! I've just never had to deal with this issue before, but the UPS Store sounds like a very workable option.

Charlie 1999 MB "Gandalf the Grey"

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 151183
We had our most recent Amazon order sent to us C/o  UPS Center 2851 S Avenue 2 1/2 E Yuma, AZ 85365
 No extra charge and friendly service. Found out about it when we missed a delivery to the campground where we were staying.
They had the package waiting for us and said it was no problem to just use them as the primary address for future orders.

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 151184
This could be a problem if Amazon ships your order via USPS, FedEx, or a local carrier. UPS Customer Centers are not set up to accept packages from other carriers. UPS Stores are different. They are mostly franchise operations with many different services available at a charge.

As I mentioned before, Amazon does not allow customers to choose the package carrier. Amazon chooses the carrier based on many different factors.

Kevin Lindsay Garden Grove CA 2000 Lazy Daze 30' IB
Kevin Lindsay
2000 Lazy Daze 30 IB

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 151185
I have UPS, Fedex, DHL,  and USPS mail sent to general delivery at post office near the closest town I'm camping at. Sometimes I have them sent to a mail forwarding service, and they will hold it until I say where to send it. Works great. Never lost a package in over 4 years doing it this way.

Bob

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 151186
One way to do it is to specify your shipment address as the local UPS distribution center:                  “Your Name”                HOLD FOR PICKUP                UPS Distribution Center                “Address of the local distribution center”You can get the address of the closest distribution center by calling UPS or sometimes you can find it on the web.  You can also do this using a local “UPS Store.”  I have done this a couple of times.  However, most “UPS Stores” are not owned by UPS but are independent businesses.  When I have done this the “UPS Store” charged me about $5 for the service.  Also when you use a “UPS Store” you will need the actual name and full address of the store.  If the package has already shipped and you have the UPS tracking number, I believe that there is a place on the tracking web site where you can specify “delivery instructions.”  Don’t know if this works for major changes in delivery point.  If the items are small, have them shipped via USPS Priority Mail.   These will go directly to your mail forwarding place.  You can also specify a “general delivery” address:                  “Your Name”                HOLD FOR PICKUP                GENERAL DELIVERY                “City, state, ZIP + 4”  The “city, state, ZIP +4” specifies the particular post office facility where the package is to go.  You can find this information on the USPS web site.  You do not need to include the street address for the post office, however, you will want this information when you go to pick up the package.  Most cities, of any size, will have several postal facilities.  However, they will have different ZIP + 4 addresses.  The post office will hold this mail for up to 30 days.  We are on the road about half the time and use the USPS General Delivery vehicle to retrieve mail from our mail forwarding company.  Works great!  We can also have UPS shipments sent to  our mail forwarder and he will forward same to us when we request it.  Note that the package delivery rules for UPS and Fedex are different.  UPS will do some things that will not be done by Fedex.  Doug Baker  

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 151195
Kevin,  When I'm camped in the Yuma area I use Mail Plus to get Amazon packages.  It's $2 per package and they accept all carriers.  They're near Araby Rd.  Here is the addressing info:

• [My Name]
  • 7875 E. 24th St, C/O Mail Plus
  • Suite 2
  • Yuma, AZ 85365
  • [My Phone #]
I called them ahead of time to expect my delivery. (nine two eight)  317  1100.

Jeanne 2001 MB

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 151229
While that works sometimes I have found that post offices generally will not accept deliveries from other carriers. If you intend to do that call the local post office and ask if they will accept from UPS, FedEx, etc.

Jim C

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 151237

•  While that works sometimes I have found that post offices generally will not accept deliveries from other carriers. If you intend to do that call the local post office and ask if they will accept from UPS, FedEx, etc.

Jim C

• That is Baloney. In over 4 years of boondocking in CA, OR, NV, NM, WA I have never run into this.
  • The USPS is happy to take delivery from ups, fedex, DHL, ETC. In fact many deliveries to residential
  • areas from the above carriers are handed off to the Post Office.
  • Bob

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 151238
The packages that are handed off are all special contracted arrangements. As many of you may not know there are still areas where there is no free mail delivery and all residents have to pick up their mail at the local post offices. At at least one if these areas I know for sure the post office would absolutely not accept personal packages from other carriers. My son lived in one such town in Pa just 5 years ago.

Sent from Garry's iPhone

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 151240
Bob, you never fail to surprise with how quickly you get from zero to rude and insulting.

This isn't a matter of opinion. In our 6 plus years of full timing it has happened to us and more than once so I don't make that mistake without checking with the local post office first. I have been told by more than once that they won't accept delivery from other carriers and I have been told by others that they will.

So, Bob, I would encourage you to consider that some people have experiences that differ from yours.

Jim C

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 151242
After reading several Internet threads on this topic, it appears that the policy decision rests with each local postmaster.  Many small rural post offices are more people oriented and that don't have volume concerns will accept such deliveries.  We've certainly had problems with our mail-order pharmacy sending things to a USPS general delivery address via UPS and/or FedEx.  I strongly recommend contacting any post office that you wish to try shipping to this way.

Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 151243
No rudeness intended and my apologies if you were offended. I merely stated a fact. This is my experience. Each to their own.

Bob

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 151244
We used the Escapee's mail service for many years with good success, however we were not dealing with medications at the time.  Now that we are seldom on the road, we receive our mail through the UPS service here in town.  It works the same as any mail forwarding, except that when we are at home, we can go to the office to pick up the mail instead of having it forwarded to us.  This is the big advantage over the Escapee's mail service.

To further simplify our lives in this regard, we use the UPS as our official mailing address, thus our mail order medications are routinely sent to that address, our credit card address is the same as the SHIP TO: address, which is always useful, and we can have our mail delivered to our door anywhere we happen to be.  Most campgrounds allow deliveries of UPS, FedEx, etc. parcels, even those who will NOT allow USPS deliveries.  This has to do with establishing residency at a campground with a USPS address, which most campgrounds like to avoid.  Apparently it is harder to evict an undesirable "tenant" if they have established a USPS address.

If you are boondocking, or otherwise without any sort of static site address, you can ask that your parcel be sent to the local UPS office's WILL CALL area.  It is a good idea to contact this local UPS store in advance to inquire about this service.  I have never been told "no", but it is nice to ask permission and have the opportunity to make the "name" contact before springing a parcel addressed to a stranger on them.  An in-person smile goes a long, long way, but even a phone call helps!  A small effort can make a big difference in the success rate.

One special effort that I have found works wonders is to have your name(s) written on a 3 x 5 card, and have it available to hand to a clerk who is tasked with searching down your package.  The name that he hears in a (possibly) noisy environment may not light up in his brain as what he sees on a package on a shelf in the back room.  Having it written in large, clear, block letters in front of him magnifies the possibility of success in acquiring one's packages.  Also, have your picture ID at hand to speed up the process.  Having it visible as you approach the window increases the appearance of legitimacy, thus putting the clerk at ease.

When you are making up the 3 x 5 information card, make several and keep one in each of several obvious places, as the odds are high that you will forget to take it along on a mail run, or you will be in the area unexpectedly and decide to make the stop.  They are small, cheap, easily made - so . . . make it easy on yourself!  ;->

Virtual hugs,

Judie http://dorrieanne.wordpress.com

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 151245
I used to get meds from Mail Link Plus mail forwarding. They will forward prescriptions from Walgreens in Las Vegas.

I now just order mail delivery direct from Walgreens pharmacy cutting out the middle man. They will ship to any US address you specify at time of order. More expensive that Walmart but they have never messed up my order like Wally did.

Peace and Love, Bob

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 151253
Here in VERY rural southern New Mexico, I have been ordering a number of items for little tweaks and mods to my rig over the winter.  Most are shipped other than via USPS, and if I use the PO Box address that I rent here for the winter, the packages are usually considered undeliverable.
 I asked the folks at the post office what was going on.  As I understand it, there are some carriers that have shipping arrangements with the Post Office wherein the other carrier moves a package from the shipper to the post office, and the post office provides "the last mile" delivery.  That is set up in the original shipping fees, so the post office accepts the responsibility for delivery of the package.  With any other shipping arrangement, it is exactly as if you walk into a post office and ask them to deliver (or hold for pickup) a package to another party without paying postage on the package.  They reject it.
 That has been my experience at the Elephant Butte NM post office, the Kelly, WY post office, and the Eugene, OR post office.  If the shipper has arranged for post office delivery and has paid the requisite postage, the post office will deliver, or hold for pickup with no questions or concerns, but otherwise, the post office will not accept the package, as they have not been paid for providing handling of the item.

Or so it was explained to me...

Ken F in NM
'08 MB

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 151254
Even though my wife died years ago she must be looking over me. I have never had any problems picking up mail that I had sent to a Post Office address labeled general delivery. Now I am wondering have I just been lucky? My Wife taught me this as she was better at adapting to "on the road" scenarios. Good luck and peace to all.

Bob

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 151255
"That is Baloney. In over 4 years of boondocking in CA, OR, NV, NM, WA I have never run into this. The USPS is happy to take delivery from ups, fedex, DHL, ETC."

You've been lucky, Bob. I've run into this issue repeatedly. In my experience, a number of post offices--especially in larger towns and cities--have refused to accept deliveries from non-USPS carriers unless I paid for a six-month PO box rental. Then they were happy to... but I wasn't going to buy a box for a two- or three-week stay!

Andy Baird

Travels with Andy
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 151259
Andy, I guess I have been lucky. I am truly surprised this has been an Issue for others. But I learned something, and that is always good. Before I started full timing I changed my mail to general delivery to test it. I was living in Auburn, CA. during that time. They even had a specific zip code for general delivery and post office boxes. It never failed in 6 months.

I have used mail forwarding services when I wasn't sure where I would be in advance. Guess I will use them more consistently than in the past. Live and learn.

Bob