Skip to main content
Topic: Lazy Daze and wood rot (Read 44 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Lazy Daze and wood rot
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 151083
"An interesting blog post about the cause, and repair of, rotted wood in a Lazy Daze."

Glad it's not mine but I do wish I could be there to see how it all fits together. Window leaks can be nearly impossible to detect until serious damage has occurred.

It may be worth considering  installing some sort of inspection ports under the windows, where leaks occur. Something like a 1" diameter, removable plastic plug, big enough to get a finger inside the wall to feel for moisture or wet fiberglass.
Match the color correctly and they would disappear.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_139486-37672-881291_4294711044__?productId=3013242&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1¤tURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo= They can also be used for inpsection holes in the ceiling,  when roof leaks are being traced.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 151092
I have been fighting a leak on the rear passenger window for a while now.  Over the summer I have narrowed the problem down to the sliding glass window and window frame - I hope.

Larry's idea about an inspection pannel would be very nice.  Lucky for me the guy that took out the window and put it back in took pictures of the bare wood.  There was no evidence of rot. I am not sure about the damage to the insulation.  There is no oder of mildew though.

I got worried about a leak this spring when I found water in the storage area under the passenger side rear window on my mid bath.  There was no water on the carpet. No soft spots on the wall.

I am short and and way over weight.  I used to use a step ladder against the rv to clean and wax.  I think I broke a seal on the window using that method but it seems far fetched.  For others I would not put a step ladder up against the window frame no mater what your weight.

Tab A. About Leak Finding (comments welcome) I stare fault checking by spraying the side of the rv with water and watching what happened in rain storms.  After calling the mother ship I started by eliminating the easy stuff. I checked to make sure the scuppers (sorry I have Chesapeake Bay roots, there may be a better term) water flow was clear and clean.  I replaced the gasket on the storage unit, no joy.  Then sealed the window frame with painters tape, no joy.  Then taped the sliding window closed so water could not run into the channels - JOY TO THE WORLD.
I took the RV to a local shop and they removed the window, resealed the frame and leak tested every thing ($450).  I retested before the 9 degree weather hit, and got similar good results.
John
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 151281
Larry: There are moisture meters. Some with probes, some without.
Do you think that would work to detect moisture in the interior plywood or the wood framing?

Thanks

Ed

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 151291
"There are moisture meters. Some with probes, some without.
Do you think that would work to detect moisture in the interior plywood or the wood framing"

Ed

Don't have one in my toolbox but I'm sure it could be useful. I would want a pin-less types, not wanting to poke holes all over the walls.
Visual and olfactory inspections, assisted by my trusty icepick have worked so far but I'm always open to new methods.

Larry.
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze