Skip to main content
Topic: New moderator ??? (Read 12 times) previous topic - next topic
New moderator ???
Yahoo Message Number: 150889
Hello Everyone -

Sooner or later, we are probably going to need to face up to the fact that Andy will no longer be the moderator.  That time is apparently twenty days away.

I haven't seen anyone volunteer to take over, and am wondering what we should do to keep the list going.  Any suggestions?

Virtual hugs,

Judie http://dorrieanne.wordpress.com

Re: New moderator ???
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 150914
Good morning, Judie. It appears you have not been overwhelmed with responses and or moderator volunteers. I would surmise if no one volunteers to moderate then the forum will continue unmoderated and we members will have to self-police to maintain the high level of communication civility we have aspired to and for the most part maintained. This shouldn't be difficult. Since the inception of this forum there have only been a handful of verbal abusers/blowhards and they drifted away, maybe to share their self-centered opinions on more topic-specific forums. I do wonder, however, if there is no moderator, how would Yahoo issues/problems be handled? Does Yahoo require a moderator? Assuming you read this, Andy, perhaps you can answer that question.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 150915
Well, someone still has to deal with the join requests and monitor for spammers and spam.  The LD quartzsite  group shows they are certainly lurking out there.  Maybe Andy will report on how much background work he does that we mostly don't see.

Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 150916
A group without a moderator doesn't work at all. However I though there were 3 moderators on the list. There should always be a backup in case of sickness or even worse death issues. Basically Yahoo in the past has been unresponsive. So you need some one to ban abusers and numerous other problems. If a member posts a for sale add and disappears a moderator has to delete it. Numerous administrative activities. People are smart enough to get subscribed to the list but then can't manage to unsubscribe. You can and should have multiple moderators.

They do need to be able to agree on most issues as nothing is worse for a list than moderators in a squabble.. At least that is my thoughts..

And a moderator doesn't even have to be a camper they do need access to the internet on a regular basis.. daily would be best..

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 150918
Hi Chris - and Everyone -

That would definitely be a solution, but probably not really sufficient, as Garry Foster points out.  As it stands now, Andy and I have been sharing the duties, but in a very unequal way.  He has done the "heavy lifting", and I have just been his Able Assistant!  Since I got him into the RV world, it seemed only fair that I help out with these chores!  ;->

It's not clear that I have the computer expertise to handle any complicated Yahoo! problems, but certainly can continue doing what I have been doing all these years.  Of course I am available to continue this assist to anyone who wishes to become the official moderator.

I would encourage anyone to speak up with suggested solutions.

Virtual hugs,

Judie http://dorrieanne.wordpress.com

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 150919
Judie, I think it would be right and logical that you move up to the moderator position. I am sure that Andy will be available to help answer  questions and help you on the technical learning curve. That said, we need to find a person, or persons who will be assistant moderators.

Although you may think that you do not have the technical skills to solve some of the Yahoo problems, one learns by doing and you have Andy as a "coach".  You are a very knowledgeable and caring person with a great deal of experience. From following the site over that last 2 years, I think you are the most logical person for the job.

Please consider.

Thanks, Ian
2015 MB

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 150920
Hi Judie,

I know that you have a lot on your plate right now, so I didn't want to recommend that you take over for Andy.  But -- perhaps Andy could act as your advisor handling the Yahoo issue.  Would you have time for policing the "unruly" members?  I don't know how many new members have to be added over time, but that would be something I know that you have done.  The only issue might be the amount of your time needed for the task.

Perhaps there is another list member willing to do  stuff?  Splitting the tasks between two people might be a good answer.

Dale 2005 FL & 2000 Cherokee "Follower"

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 150922
Judie, I think it would be right and logical that you move up to the moderator position.

I also think that move would be right and logical.  Judie, please, please, please!

Martha in Santa Fe

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 150924
I'm going to throw in my two cents for the draft Judie movement. She's been active on this list for many years. I got to know her here and by email correspondence over the past twenty years. She is well informed about Lazy Daze and knows many group members. If she needs help with technical matters, I'm sure people will pitch in, including me. But what is needed more than anything is someone who can keep things civil and that requires respect from the group, which she already has from her involvement over the years. Andy could provide some debriefing to her and others as to how to deal with specific technical issues.

- Michael

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 150926
Judie would be the logical choice if she has the time for it. Time is precious to her and she may not want to commit to the job.

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 150927
I would be willing to be a co-moderator, as I would have been years ago if asked but do not want to be the owner.
I already own a Yahoo site, moderatre on another and I don't have the time to do this full time.

We travel as much as possible and do not want to be tied to a computer when we do.                                          As I learn when employed, I'm more valuable and better suited as a technical advisor than a administrator.

Three co-moderators or an owner and a couple of active moderators should be enough to keep things in line as long as the forum remains a 'members-only' site.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 150928
Many thanks to all who've said kind words about my efforts here. But nothing I did would have helped, if we hadn't already had the smartest and most helpful people around in this group. The credit belongs to you folks.

And thanks for posting that reminder that time is running short, Judie. We really do need to move forward in order to have a new leader in place when I hand over the post on March first.

"It's not clear that I have the computer expertise to handle any complicated Yahoo! problem..."

The sad truth is that when Yahoo has problems, all we can do is report them and then hope somebody was listening. No technical expertise (on this end, anyway) will help.

And the job of group "owner" (as Yahoo calls the head moderator) doesn't really require deep technical knowledge of RVing, although of course that's a bonus. It's more important to have the people skills to keep the group humming along without flamewars, and to make sure that new members feel welcome.

Running the group isn't a huge amount of work--I spend much more time answering private emails from people who have questions based on what they read in the Eureka site or my "Travels with Andy" site. What works best is a light hand and a fair amount of tact.

Andy Baird

Travels with Andy
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 150929
"I would be willing to be a co-moderator, as I would have been years ago if asked, but do not want to be the owner."

Sounds as if I missed a bet! ;-) Larry, I always had the impression you were too busy, or I would have asked. But as it is, you've contributed enormously to the group over the years, with or without an official title.

I agree that one "owner" plus two or three co-moderators would be a good setup. Right now, as Judie explained, we have me as "owner," Judie as a day-to-day co-moderator (approving requests to join, etc.--we get four or five of those per week), and Tessa Hill as an inactive co-modcerator. (Tessa did a great job of reorganizing some of our files a few years back, but has been busy with her own adventures in recent years.)

Larry, you'd make a great co-moderator, and the duties aren't onerous, so it shouldn't cut into your other activities.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels
Andy Baird

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 150930
Andy, is there anyone who knows more about Ld's than Larry? He could teach the factory a few things

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 150931
I vote for Joan and Larry as moderators, co-moderators, whatever you want to call it. Both have always been major contributors to this group as long  as I have been here, and probably a lot longer than that. They have the tact to keep the group on track as Andy has certainly done well.

Bob

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 150934
I agree. With all the L.D.'s Larry has worked on I think he has seen/done it all. He has tackled several difficult projects for me that no one else would touch. I probably have the only 01 vintage LD with a stainless kitchen sink as a result. His experience and knowledge on LD's is second to none.

Bob

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 150940
Thank you, Bob, but Joan respectfully declines. ;-)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 150964
Andy is right as usual.  I was just about to offer up that it's time to replace my name up there as co-moderator (which was a heady position, but I'm willing to retire gracefully now- hehe).  I still keep up pretty well with the list, but am not able to contribute much.

We are moving to Atlanta in a few months (June) so adventures are continuing!  Ciao is, of course, looking forward to joining in some Southeast Lazy Daze fun.  :)

Thanks so much to Andy for the years and years of effort to make this group a big family!  I'm glad you'll still be around too.

Tessa (still currently in TX!) '92 MB- Ciao Baby!

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 150969
I wanted to put in my suggestion for someone I think has always shown great tact and good sense in dealing kindly with people, which I think is very important:  Chris Horst.  I've always believed he would be a GREAT moderator for this group.  Chris, might you be interested at all? Tessa in TX '92 MB- Ciao Baby

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 150981
Thanks for the kind words, Tessa, but I respectfully decline.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Re: New moderator
Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 151122
I'm very pleased to announce that Chris Horst has agreed to take over the post of head moderator ("owner," in Yahoo-speak) on March 1st. Chris has been a member of this group for fifteen years, and has the tact and good sense (to quote Tessa) to keep it running smoothly. With co-moderators Larry Wade and Judie Ashford to back him up, I'm confident he'll do a great job.

Andy Baird

Travels with Andy
Andy Baird

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 151124
Congrats to "Moderator in Waiting" Chris!

After hearing that some folks would rather eat broken glass than attempt this challenge, I felt that you my friend, might be our only hope to keep this wonderful forum running. So glad to learn that Andy has found a way to close the deal!

Good luck and may the Force be with you! Steve K.
Steve K

2003 Mid-bath

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 151125
Thanks Chris, and too you Andy for all the work you have done here, also to Judie and Larry for the good jobs you also do.

Jan/Scottsdale AZ.

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 151126
I was so happy to learn that Chris is going to take the job, I neglegted to thank Judy and Larry. It has been folks like you two that have helped  Andy keep this group so relevant and civil over the years. Thanks for all that you do and agreeing to help Chris.

Andy, you are almost irreplaceable! 3 good people needed to do what you have made look easy all these years!

Steve K
Steve K

2003 Mid-bath