Skip to main content
Topic: 1999 too old? (Read 12 times) previous topic - next topic
1999 too old?
Yahoo Message Number: 150888
There is 1999 Lazy Daze 23M for sale around $20,000.  I'm not sure if that's too old for an rv or not.  My wife and i are looking at buying a used rv to do some long weekends and extended trips to see if the rv life is for us.  We have only tent camped before as well as rented yurts or small cabins in state parks.  Thanks for any help.

Re: 1999 too old?
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 150891
Hi A 1999 LD is definitely not to old. I have a '99  23.5 foot LD which is, in many ways, just like it was when it was brand  new.
 Condition is everything! But $20,000 is on the  high side and for that much it should be low mileage and condition of 10 on a  scale of 1 to 10. That means you should not have to put any money into it at  all. That means, for example, newish tires and batteries. Also for that much  money I would expect nice extras like a solar system and battery monitor and  stuff like that. By all means, if you are serious, pay whatever it will cost you  to have it checked out both mechanically (engine, tranny, brakes, shocks, etc.)  and the motorhome part as well (all appliances work, no water leaks, roof  resealed, etc.).

Tom

There  is 1999 Lazy Daze 23M for sale around $20,000.  I'm not sure if that's too  old for an rv or not.  My wife and i are looking at buying a used rv to do  some long weekends and extended trips to see if the rv life is for us.  We  have only tent camped before as well as rented yurts or small cabins in state  parks.  Thanks for any help.

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 150892
Hi,
 I just posted a 27.5 1997 Mid-bath for sale in San Diego, CA.  It has low mileage (24+K) and is in fairly good condition.  I have not taken it out for two years but just had it smogged and it passed with flying colors.  It is a good motor home but I am not using it like I envisioned.  It has twin beds in back that make up into a king sized sleeping area.  It will sleep 5.  It has a E450 Ford Triton V10 that does a great job pulling hills.  I have it listed on this site under buying and selling and asking 18,500.

If you have any further questions just respond to the ad.

Thanks, Chris

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 150894
Hi Tom,
 Thanks for the fast reply.  It has 73,000 mile on it.  I sent the VIN number into carfax and there were no red flags that came up.  It looks like it was serviced the last few years by our local ford dealer.  Previous to that it was in CA until about 2009.  It doesn't look like any of the owners modified or added solar etc, i didn't see many records, but there was the original  manual and a few other items.  There is some wear throughout the rig and some paint chipped off the back of the rv.  I need to have a mechanic check it out, because i would not even know what too look for other than the obvious leaks, smells, sounds, etc.  But i think the price may be too much for the rig, maybe if it checks out i will offer a lower amount to the dealer, i thought 12-15k might be reasonable, but that's really just a guess on my part at the moment.  Thanks for your advice, i sure appreciate it.  Can i post a link to the rv for you to look at or is that against regs here.

Thanks again, Randy

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 150897
If the rig has been cared for 1999 is not too old. It will have the durable Ford V10 motor which is a plus. Enough power to tow a Toad if you want to. My 2001 still going strong at 83K miles. Only problem I ever had in 4+ years is the igniter board in the water heater going bad. New board was around $120 shipped. The refrigerator was replaced just prior to me taking ownership. If you want to add Solar prices have dropped dramatically since the Chinese started exporting them. I would recommend AM Solar in Springfield OR for kits or a full install. Very knowledgeable and great tech support. The Blue Sky IPN Pro remote monitoring panel and battery meter are integrated and very compact. They now offer high efficiency 160 watt panels the same size as my old 140 watt panels. This is the mother ships supplier of Solar kits.

Bob 01 23.5 TK with toys...

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 150899
Thanks Bob,
 I think 1999 was the first year for the V10 if i understood correctly.  I have read that it is a good motor.  We would like to add solar panels; you have good information there for me to go on and explore.  It sounds like you have a great rv, especially with hardly any repairs, and it's good to know about towing a car along without a problem.

Randy

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 150900
Rand By all means, post  a  link. We will all take a look at it. BTW, where is it? 73.000 miles is  not high mileage for a 99. It's about right. You could easily put that much  again on it yourself. As you guess, 12-15K is a good starting point. You may  have to go a little higher if the condition is near perfect (which I doubt).
 One hint. The seller might make a point of saying the tires are almost new.  Check the date on them. If they are three years old, that means tire replacement  in three or four more years. About $1500. Use stuff like this to get the price  down.

Tom

Hi  Tom,
 Thanks for the fast reply.  It has 73,000 mile on it.  I  sent the VIN number into carfax and there were no red flags that came up.   It looks like it was serviced the last few years by our local ford dealer.   Previous to that it was in CA until about 2009.  It doesn't look like any  of the owners modified or added solar etc, i didn't see many records, but there  was the original  manual and a few other items.  There is some wear  throughout the rig and some paint chipped off the back of the rv.  I need  to have a mechanic check it out, because i would not even know what too look for  other than the obvious leaks, smells, sounds, etc.  But i think the price  may be too much for the rig, maybe if it checks out i will offer a lower amount  to the dealer, i thought 12-15k might be reasonable, but that's really just a  guess on my part at the moment.  Thanks for your advice, i sure appreciate  it.  Can i post a link to the rv for you to look at or is that against regs  here.

Thanks again, Randy

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 150901
Also, there is an excellent chart with price ranges that I found very helpful when I was in the hunting mode; it looked like a sort of depreciation schedule for each of the different lengths across many years.  I know those who have been here longer can point you to it.
Lynne
LDy Lulubelle, Green '05 31' TB
Lilly, the 4-Legged Alarm

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 150903
A  dishwasher?? That's pretty unusual.

It  looks pretty clean and well kept. If mechanically sound and the roof has been  resealed and the tires are new, IMO it could be worth between 15-18 K. That, of  course, depends on an inspection showing there is no, and has never had water  leaks.

Tom

Here  is the link-thanks! 1999 Laze Daze Laze Daze 23M Stock: UR-14-151 |  Pierce RV

1999        Laze Daze Laze Daze 23M Stock: UR-14-151 | Pi... Pierce        RV 3800 Pierce Parkway Billings, MT 59106 US Phone: 888-881-2745 Email:        sales@... Fax: 406-254-0502

View        on www.piercerv.com

Preview        by Yahoo

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 150904
Thanks again for your input, i sure appreciate it.  I will have to look into it more closely -the leaks and roof etc. and find a mechanic who can look at the engine or an rv tech for guidance.  Are there signs of water leaks other than watermarks, i know to look at the bed/cab part.  I guess leaks can appear anywhere though.

Randy

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 150911
The refrigerator is missing a shelf on the freezer door. These can be had on Ebay for around $30 or directly from Dometic. With the flaking paint his price is a little high. After a mechanic checks it out if okay I would offer 15-18K depending on how bad you want it. These things tend to move quickly in SoCal. I don't know what the Market is in Montana. But I heard there's some Dental Floss Tycoon that lived up there. His daughter lives in L.A. in the S.F. Valley.

Bob

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 150913
The "chart with price ranges" is titled "LD Asking Prices 2015". On the home page of the message board, go to "Files", click the "Buying and Selling" folder, then go to the "Asking Prices" file. The chart is self-explanatory.

Understand that the numbers are "ballpark"; the ultimate selling price of any unit depends on a large number of variables, e.g., age, *condition*, mileage, floor plan, "extras", location/sale area, etc. Even color may be a factor in pricing.

I agree with Tom's comment about a dishwasher; a dishwasher in a class C would be a very unusual item. From the photos, it's obvious that the sink faucet has been upgraded, but I didn't see a photo of a dishwasher; this is listed as a "feature" in the ad, so why no photo?

As suggested, have the unit thoroughly checked - coach, engine, systems - by independent examiners, not the selling dealer. And, JMO, the asking price is overly optimistic, i.e, about $4k too high.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 150917
Thanks everyone for your help.  Now i need to find someone to take a look at it.  I didn't realize the pricing chart was for previous years, i thought it was pricing for 2015 LD's, far out of my range, so i didn't even look until now. I printed out the checklist details to look at as well.
Randy