Skip to main content
Topic: Switching To AGM Batteries (Read 20 times) previous topic - next topic
Switching To AGM Batteries
Yahoo Message Number: 150882
Can anyone name a good source and model number for the AGM replacement batteries? My Trojans t145s are 4 years old and getting weaker. I want to make the switch to AGM batteries so I can up battery quantity to 4 using an internal compartment. Dimension of AGM would also be helpful.

Thank you, Bob 01 23.5 TK with toys...

Re: Switching To AGM Batteries
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 150887
Thank you Joan, That site is what I needed. The batteries are expensive but it's the only way I can up quantity to 4 without building an external battery tray. Luckily I have a TK with ample storage compartments to shoehorn the batteries into.

Bob

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 150890
Bob, I'm sure you know this, but maybe another TK owner might not.

The small rear compartment on the TK's passenger side, although a convenient size that looks just right for 2 more batteries, is not sturdy enough to take the weight; the bottom of the compartment is pretty flimsy, and the GPL-4CT batteries that I have weigh *66 pounds each*, according to the specs.

http://www.lifelinebatteries.com/rvflyer.php?id=14

The manual states to carry heavy cargo in the compartments that use the floor as a base, and to carry only lightweight items in the lower compartment. I've taken the manual at its word; no problems and the compartment floor is still intact! ;-)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 150906
When I was looking at replacing the bat in the couch last spring I was thinking of going with AGM.
 When I checked the spec for the same bat (Trojan 105) the flooded had more capacity than the AGM. The only advantage was you did not have to check the water. And the price was just short of double for this privilege. At that price I could get new bat twice as often and have new bat. The original Trojans bat in the unit lasted 8 years. I know the AGM would not give that 8 + years of service. Really 16 years because of price. I went with flooded.

George

Retired Plumber

Markets | Trojan Battery Company

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 150908
Can anyone name a good source and model number for the AGM replacement  batteries? My Trojans t145s are 4 years old and getting weaker. I want to make  the switch to AGM batteries so I can up battery quantity to 4 using an internal  compartment. Dimension of AGM would also be helpful.

Check here  for Trojan information and size.    Markets | Trojan Battery Company

They only show one AGM which is a 105. Even that bat is not as strong as the 105 Flooded. In fact your 145 is far better than the 105 flooded. Two steps up infact.
When I replaced mine last spring I wanted to go with AGM but the AMP size and price turned me off. I could get 2 flooded for the price of one AGM.

George

Retired Plumber

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 150938
Bob, I put a pair of Concorde Lifeline Model GPL4CT, 6 volt, 220 AH AGM's in my SOB when I got it in Oct 2013.  It was my understanding that this is the model AGM that Lazy Daze is installing in new coaches.  At the Live Oak LD Caravan in Dec 2014, I had one of the batteries fail.  It appeared that one cell died as the terminal voltage was only about 10.4 volts.
 As soon as we got home, I called LifeLine about the problem.  They immediately shipped me a new battery via Fedex.  It arrived the next day and I installed it.  No problems since then and we took the coach to South Carolina over the holidays.
 I did not have to return the old battery to them.  Was told to drop it off at the local battery recycle place.  I will get around to doing that one of these days.

Doug Baker

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 150939
Doug:  do the AGM batteries last longer if I keep them full charged via shore power, instead of leaving them to the solar panels.  The solar panels have trouble keeping up a full charge in the winter because of the angle of the sun, plus I live in the forrest so where I store it , the roof does not receive full sunlight. So I have it connected to shore power while storing it.

David 2005 31 ft LD

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 150945
I have no problem keeping the 2-6 volt  bat charged in the winter here in Denver. And I only have 45 amps of solar  power on the roof. They are flat on the roof. The volts always show 14 volts+.
 Any time you go to a bat  shop they tell you NEVER to replace only the bad bat and keep the better one.  Doug had the old bat in the MH for 14 months when the one bat went bad  and Lifeline replaced the bad bat. They did not replace both bat. It would have  been a cold day in hell when life line would have offered the other bat and you  most likely you would be BLUE in the face from arguing with  them.
 On the other hand when we buy new bat we always make sure that both bat have the same date and no more that one month difference.

George

Retired Plumber

Doug:  do the AGM batteries last longer if I keep them  full charged via shore power, instead of leaving them to the solar panels.  The  solar panels have trouble keeping up a full charge in the winter because of the  angle of the sun, plus I live in the forrest so where I store it , the roof does  not receive full sunlight. So I have it  connected to shore power while storing it.

David 2005 31 ft LD

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 150946
AGM batteries are more rugged than flooded-cell, can easily withstand some overcharging without damage or loss of electrolyte, and can safely be installed indoors, in any orientation, without fear of toxic outgassing. That is... with properly designed charging and charge maintaining equipment. Aye, there's the rub. This would rule out the stock converter from the factory in your Lazy Daze, even though the factory now equips with AGMs as standard fare. This would also include any older LD models, and those equipped with the Heliotrope line of solar charge controllers. AGM batteries DO out-gas electrolyte when stressed well beyond design tolerances, and the diminished resulting performance is permanent.
 Upgrading to AGMs is expensive, involving not only expensive batteries, but a upgraded converter and solar charge controller as well, and for good measure, a battery monitor. Of course, if you do all that but stick with flooded-cell batteries with a Pro-Fill or equivalent system, you can save $500+ for equivalent performance. The only significant reason to add in AGMs at this point is if you wish higher capacity and need to mount them inside.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit