Skip to main content
Topic: Maximum toad weight (Read 23 times) previous topic - next topic
Maximum toad weight
Yahoo Message Number: 150861
From what I've been able to gather it seems that the maximum toad weight on the E-450 chassis is 4,000 lbs.

If that is true, then it limits the type of cars one can tow assuming that a car is even towable 4 down.  My current toad is a 2012 Honda Fit, which is an excellent tow since it only weighs about 2,600 lbs.

Is anyone towing 4-down a Ford C-Max Hybrid?  It's towable 4-down according to FMCA listings for 2014 and 2015.  The car's weight is slightly over 3,600 lbs. -- about the same as a 2014 Honda CR-V.  The 2015 Honda CR-V is NOT towable any longer due to a new engine for 2015, however.  Several of the Fords are towable such as the C-Max, the Edge including AWD version, Fusion --- all automatic transmission, by the way.  Also, several Lincolns too.  But, some of these may be too heavy for the Lazy Daze.

Also, important is the tongue weight.  Would that be defined as the weight of the tow bar equipment between the car and the hitch on the RV?

Re: Maximum toad weight
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 150896
Hey Richard,

Good question!  Remember the 4,000# weight limit is the engineered limit of the hitch only.  The limit that we need to keep in mind is the 20,000# GCWR.  Think of this limit as the max that you want to be taking down the road- full LD and loaded toad.  I know people who exceed these limits but if I am going to RV in peace I don't want to be moving along and thinking about something failing.  I'm sure the 4000# limit on the hitch doesn't mean that it will fail at 4001, but the number is there for a reason.  And good luck to those who press their luck and then try to deal with an insurance company.  We tow a 2013 Jeep Wrangler.  The new Jeeps are heavier than the older ones-we don't load our Jeep but with about 1/2 tank of fuel we are around 3800#.  Since we wanted to tow the Jeep we decided to check into having the hitch beefed up.  I checked the phone book for guys who installed hitches and then did my homework on the business.  I talked with the guy ahead of time and ask if he could do his magic on the hitch.  I took the LD to the shop, about 1 1/2 hrs later and less than $300, we have a hitch that will handle anything I would ever want to tow.  These guys that do this for a living deal with engineering everyday.  Since we are never close to 20000# GCWR, I never give the hitch and the weight a second thought.

Sorry about the rambling.  The strengthened hitch will give you a lot more choices for towing.  Just something to think about.

If you have any further questions, fire away.  If I can help I'm more than willing.

Bill Whidbey Island, WA
Bill and Linda Hicks
2008 MB

Re: Maximum toad weight
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 150898
Beefing up the factory hitch is a good idea and potentially avoids an expensive failure. Eckhart in L.A. does excellent work. That's where mine was done. I normally tow a Jeep Cherokee with a motorcycle mounted on the back. No problems with beefed up hitch or Roadmaster tow bar. I would recommend a good aux. braking system like the SMI for the toad.

Bob 01 23.5 TK with toys...