Skip to main content
Topic: Thinking about ordering a 2015+ LD, but have questions (Read 121 times) previous topic - next topic
Thinking about ordering a 2015+ LD, but have questions
Yahoo Message Number: 150825
Any advice or answers you can give would be most appreciated.  I reside near Seattle, but have a winter home near Santa Barbara, CA.  These questions pertain to my interest in buying a 2015 or later Lazy Daze class C:

1)  Is it more difficult to handle a 31 ft than a 27 ft?
2)  Is the gas usage generally much more for a 31 ft than a 27 ft assuming 2 adults and pulling a 3,000 lb toad 4 down?
3)  Which is better, mid-bath, rear bath? Why?
4)  If you were ordering a new 2015 model what customizations from Lazy Daze (not elsewhere) would you ask for (if money was not the issue)?
5)  On a 2015 model can the driver and passenger front seats be altered so that they will extend back further than factory extension?  I'm 6'4" tall and mostly legs.
6)  On a 2015 model does Lazy Daze ever substitute the dinette with just a folding up table with a pair or 4 loose chairs?
7)  What are the pros and cons of the 31 ft model?  
8)  I have Directv at home.  Can I easily use the same account for satellite tv in a traveling rv for a nominal price addition per month?

Thanks,

Ricardo

Re: Thinking about ordering a 2015+ LD, but have questions
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 150826
Any advice or answers you can give would be most appreciated.  I reside near Seattle, but have a winter home near Santa Barbara, CA.  These questions pertain to my interest in buying a 2015 or later Lazy Daze class C:

Hi, We live in Solvangabout 35 miles from Santa Barbara.

1)  Is it more difficult to handle a 31 ft than a 27 ft?

The only thing I'd be concerned with is the longer turning radius and tail swing.

2)  Is the gas usage generally much more for a 31 ft than a 27 ft assuming 2 adults and pulling a 3,000 lb toad 4 down? 
  I think your driving style and speed will have a larger impact on fuel economy than the weight difference.

3)  Which is better, mid-bath, rear bath? Why? 
  This can only be determined by YOU!  It depends on your camping style and how the floor plans work for you.

4)  If you were ordering a new 2015 model what customizations from Lazy Daze (not elsewhere) would you ask for (if money was not the issue)?

Search past messages for lot of these kinds of discussion.

5)  On a 2015 model can the driver and passenger front seats be altered so that they will extend back further than factory extension?  I'm 6'4" tall and mostly legs.

The drivers seat position and room are pretty much defined by the floor plans.  Don't expect any changes there.

6)  On a 2015 model does Lazy Daze ever substitute the dinette with just a folding up table with a pair or 4 loose chairs?

You can always ask, but I think the answer will be no.

Pros - More room and permanent bed(s).  Cons - Limited CCC and slightly less able to fit tight campsites.

8)  I have Directv at home.  Can I easily use the same account for satellite tv in a traveling rv for a nominal price addition per month?

Many people just take a receiver from home and don't say anything.  You may lose local channels away from home.

Thanks,

Ricardo

Regards, Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 150834
I've never driven a 31, so take this for what it's worth
 (1) and (2) I'd be more concerned with Cargo Carrying Capacity than handling and MPG when comparing the 27' models to the 31'.  It's been shared many times on this group how quickly the 31' model can become overloaded.  The 27' models, on the other hand, have generous capacity (by RV standards).
 (3) Mid-Bath is the most popular in terms of numbers sold, but all floorplans have their pluses and minuses.  It's a very personal choice, but see #5
 (4) My personal choice would be to ask for very few changes or extras, and then plan to have a great tech make the addition and/or changes once I owned the coach.  For what I understand, you aren't likely to get the factory to make many changes anyway.
 (5) I'm 6'6", with long femurs.  I own a Mid-Bath.  I fit just fine, but I don't mind sitting quite upright.  Reclining on the mid-bath models is limited by the fridge which is just behind the drivers seat.  Other models don't have this limitation.  I would want to physically sit in any model I was considering to make sure it works for you.

(6) no idea
 (7) You should find plenty in the archives, but the biggest pro is a fixed, floor level, walk around bed.  Limited Cargo Carrying Capacity is a big minus for many.

(8) no idea

I hope that helps a little. Good luck with your decisions.

Rich '03 MB in NC
2003 MB

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 150835
1)  Is it more difficult to handle a 31 ft than a 27 ft?    I have not drove a 31 so can't answer.  From the post others make the 31' LD are not that bad because folks don't generally complain that loudly.

2)  Is the gas usage generally much more for a 31 ft than a 27 ft assuming 2 adults and pulling a 3,000 lb toad 4 down?  As already mentioned I think your driving style will have more to do with and difference in MPG.

3)  Which is better, mid-bath, rear bath? Why?  For us the MB is better.  But we often bring our daughter or I go with my brother and nephew.  Visitors sleep in the over head.  If it was just the wife and I I would be very tempted to look for a RB. I really like how open they living area is.

4)   If you were ordering a new 2015 model what customizations from Lazy  Daze (not elsewhere) would you ask for (if money was not the issue)?  Some extra 12v ports scattered through out the RV.    Not exactly what you asked but I would not get the on board GPS, insulated tanks and maybe not the factory CB.

5)   On a 2015 model can the driver and passenger front seats be altered so  that they will extend back further than factory extension?  I'm 6'4"  tall and mostly legs.
 I do not think so. As previously stated not on a MB.

6)  On a 2015 model does Lazy Daze ever substitute the dinette with just a folding up table with a pair or 4 loose chairs?  A question for the factory

It was to long for us and did not have enough CCC.  The people I met that own them like the extra room.  I think if your were doing shorter trips and CCC was not a issue, and the extra length were not an issue for where you live and camp then it would be fine.  Most of the time we leave the beds made in our MB and spend time in the Kitchen or outside.  The extra living space around the kitchen would be very nice on rainy days.  But not nice enough to give up the CCC.  And in our case the 31 might not fit in the drive way

John DaCrema 07MB
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 150838
I have a 2005 31 foot LD and my cargo capacity is way more than the cargo capacity of the 27 foot 1995 RB I had.    Maybe the newer ones are different, but I am very pleased with the cargo capacity of my 31 foot.  My wife and I travel with two full grown standard poodles and the roominess of the 31 foot is the major advantage for us. For us older folks, pulling out the bed every night in the 27 foot became a chore...we(including the poodles) love the full time queen bed in the 31 foot. Having the 31 foot for almost one year, I can say I would never go back to a 27 foot.

David

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 150839
I believe that the cargo capacity is the WEIGHT of what can be added, not the volume.  So the 31' may have more or larger storage compartments, but the base weight of the delivered unit is heavier than the 27', so the weight of what can be loaded (CCC) is less in the 31' than the 27'.  The total capacity for the 450 chassis is 14,500, irrespective the shapes/sizes of the storage compartments.  Longer (heavier) unit (31') on the same chassis equals less CCC than a shorter unit (27') on the same chassis.

Kristen

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 150844
Yes.  The 2015 27'ers are rated to carry about 1000lbs more 'stuff' than the 31'ers.  The reason, of course, is that the 31's weigh around 1000 lbs more to start with.
 You can see the exact weights for the models you're considering at the bottom of the Lazy Daze specs pdf.  (see COACH WEIGHTS WITH STANDARD EQUIPMENT)
 http://www.lazydaze.com/FEATURES.PDF

A 1995 MB model would have been built on an E-350 chassis with a GVWR of 11,500lbs.  The 2005 31'er would have been built on a E-450 chassis with a GVWR of 14,500.  That could explain the difference observed between those 2 coaches.  That difference doesn't apply to recent 27' and 31' models.

Rich '03 MB in NC
2003 MB

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 150845
FYI, FWIW & YMMV:

You may be happier with a 31.
 We drove a 2004 Lazy Daze 27 MB 25,000 miles before we sold it.  After 50,000 subsequent miles in a 44 foot diesel pusher, we bought a 2011 Lazy Daze 31 TB and last month we drove it home 1600 miles from Oregon to New Mexico.
 Compared to the 2004 LD 27, the 2011 LD 31 is 1) much more comfortable , 2) "feels" almost roomy,  3) drives and handles better and 4) has enough carrying capacity for all our "stuff", especially since we tow a 2500 pound Honda Fit with a huge rear space that holds 500 pounds of "stuff".  We can take with us everything we need.  We do not full time and we do not plan any 6 month long trips like those we took in the 4 slide out diesel pusher.

Bob Siegel Santa Fe New Mexico

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 150846
"The 2005 31'er would have been built on a E-450 chassis with a GVWR of 14,500."-

-----

According to the LD spec sheets, the Ford 14500 pound GVWR cutaway chassis for the 27' and 31' LDs wasn't available until the 2008 models; all 2005 models were built on the 14050 pound GVWR chassis. In other words, the chassis' GVWR increased 450 pounds in 2008 and forward. One could check the spec sheets (available on the Techsnoz website) for theunladen/dry/whatever weight terms LD used as a base weight from which to calculate CCC.

The 2008 and forward 24' models were/are *available* on the 14500 pound GVWR chassis with the V-10 engine option, but the stock chassis/engine for the 24' is the V-8 with a GVWR of 14050.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 150849
Ricardo, We bought the mid-bath because of the panoramic view out the back. We live and eat our meals back there only using the dinette as a computer table. There are only two if us traveling and never have guest staying overnight so this works well for us.
I will let others comment on most of your questions but these are a few of the items I think are a must.
1) As many 12V and 120V outlets as you can get.
2) Sealed 12V disconnect.
3) 2nd solar panel, unless you are thinking of adding more, then use AM Solar in Oregon.
4) Backup camera.
5) Heated power cab mirrors.
6) Rear table mounted like the 24 foot TK.
7) Dinette door mounted on end of forward dinette seat.
8) Satellite cable-skirt to TV cabinet. If you get into a site where you cannot get reception on the
 mounted satellite and have to use a portable.
There are others that are nice like a CB and electric steps.
Best of luck, Dave 2014 Mid Bath

Sent from iPad

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 150850
Ricardo, thanks for this thread. I'm 6'4 also and going to the factory in March to order a home. I'm leaning toward the 31ft because I plan to full time it in about 2 years and believe I'll need the extra space being a big guy.

My question on the 31ft is if the twin beds offer a big guy (and his SO) more bed space than the queen bed.

Rick
Rick and Melissa
2016 27ft RB

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 150852
Both twins are a tad short and the only way to let your long legs overhang the end will be to lie diagonally.  (My 6'5 bro and my 6'5" nephews told me they've never slept in a long-enough bed.)  I'm 5'10 (uster be 6') and I can manage in the longer twin.

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 150854
Go to the Lazy Daze site. Look under the "Features and Specs" section and you will see the width and length of the beds for all models.

Ed

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 150856
Ricardo.   Just one thought to consider.  We have owned 4 Lazy Daze motorhomes over the years and finally settled on the 31' (2008) because we were spending more time on the road and wanted the permanent bed in the back.  It's easy to drive towing a CRV if you stay aware of the need to allow room to make turns, etc.  The bed in the back is wonderful compared to making up a bed each night.   Enjoy!   Gale
G N Wilson
2008 Mid-Bath

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 150857
Ditto!  Having to make the bed in the back of a 27 daily compared to having a permanent bedroom in the 31 was the single biggest reason we went to a 31.

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 150862
I've now come to the conclusion that I prefer the island bed in the back of the 31 ft.   I would travel only with my spouse --- no one else.  We also have a small poodle.

My current rv is a 41 ft diesel pusher which I've left on consignment with a dealer up north.  I'm now wanting to do the smaller rig for a while as it was always frustrating not to be able to find an enclosed bay for rent anywhere that could accommodate my big coach.  Everything for rent was designed for the shorter rv.

By the way, what is the turning radius on the 31 ft E-450 chassis Lazy Daze?  Everyone seems to say that the 31 ft is harder to manage in backing up and turning in campgrounds etc.  I'm used to the big 41 ft coach I had and it was frightening at times making tight turns.  My greatest fear was to not be able to make a turn with car in tow as you cannot back up.

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 150863
Does anyone have a 31-foot rig at hand to measure the distance between the sofa and the chairs/table?  We need a distance of about 29 inches to set up a sleeping apparatus.  The area in our RB between the sofa and the chairs/table is sufficient, but something of a problem for me to get down from the overcab bunk with that space encumbered.  I end up walking across the sofa; not a good plan when half asleep.

In looking at the floorplan for the longer length unit, it would seem a good solution for having the bathroom and kitchen available from either end of the coach without the need to climb over another person.

If selecting the twin beds, is it possible to put up a tray table in front of them so to be used as a temporary computer "desk"?

Since we are no longer fulltimers, the diminished payload could PROBABLY be managed successfully.

Virtual hugs,

Judie http://dorrieanne.wordpress.com

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 150871
Hi Ricardo and All,
 My 2 cents is based only on research and personal opinion. I am only responding to your question regarding preference of rear vs. mid bath
 My wife and I have slightly different sleeping and tv habits. I get up two hours earlier than her. In addition, if we are not watching movies together, she is watching HGTV and I am watching nothing or ESPN (football). Thus, I think we would prefer a mid bath floor plan in order to "isolate" the bedroom a bit from the living quarters.
 Ricardo, great post. It generated many interesting responses for me in my research phase. Lazy Daze is on my short list.

Take care,

Dean

Twin beds in 2015 31' LD
Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 150872
We have an '02 31' IB and were I to order a new 31', I'd get twin beds. I find the queen confining as we are used to a king at home. Easier to move about at night without disturbing a partner. Also, using fitted sheets, the queen is a bear to make at the headboard end. Yes, you don't have to use fitted sheets, but we do. We use a dual control Sleep Number bed which makes sheeting easier since the bed is light. The twins make a nice lounging area in the daytime. Lots of windows. At 6'4", you are right at the length of the largest twin. However, depending on your age, in 2 years you may be several inches shorter.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Re: Twin beds in 2015 31' LD
Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 150873
Dear Rick,

I concur with Chris's viewpoint.  I have a 2007 30(1) TB and find that there is more individual sleeping room over the IB option.  Details can be confirmed from looking at the factory website and you will see the dimensions of the permanent bed to be 50" in width, whereas the width of the twin is 35".  You can't put them together, but that is 10"s more width.

Of course, for the extremely "cold nights" when you want to snuggle, the couch can convert to the 50" x 76" bed!!!

Gary
2007 30' TB

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 150874
We have a 2013 31' TB also.  Easy to drive....chosen due to different sleep patterns for my wife and I, plus we wanted something that could be "closed off" from the rest of the rig.....extremely happy with our decision.

Bill Bussiere

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 150876
Ditto to just about everything .... except ...

Our 2011 LD 31's driver side twin is 76" long, according to the LD website, and the passenger side twin is 74 1/2 " long.  But to me they "feel" shorter and I cannot explain that. No big problem.

If you camp in cold weather the outside wall adjoining each twin bed gets kinda cold so you need to put something like a rolled blanket between the wall and your body.  No big problem.

LD sells relatively few 31 twins.  Resale may be easier ... or more difficult ... depending on how many prospective buyers are looking to buy a 31 twin when you are selling yours. Could be a problem.

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 150877
The only thing I don't like about the Twin beds on the 31 is that it seems (from the floor plans of the LD website) that you get a fixed dinette instead of barrel chairs.  I much prefer the barrel chairs over the dinette.

Also, it seems the twin bed configuration is slightly heavier.  The driver's side twin bed is exactly the length of me being 6'4" tall -- 76".  With the island bed at least your feet could hang off the end should you stretch out and not want your head right up at the very tip of the headboard.

Does the twin bed option give you better resale value over the island bed?

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 150878
My mistake Chris, thanks for correcting.  I was stuck on the 35" width of the twin beds being greater than 57" divided by two people equalling 28.5"s.

Gary
2007 30' TB