Skip to main content
Topic: Turning Off Inverter in Outside Storage Compartment (Read 11 times) previous topic - next topic
Turning Off Inverter in Outside Storage Compartment
Yahoo Message Number: 150743
My Lazy Daze came with a 1500 watt pure-sine inverter.  I'm very happy with it, but the previous owners mounted it in the very rear passenger side storage bin.  Therefore, I have to go outside and unlock the storage compartment to turn it on (and vice versa).

It's not a big deal during the day, and I usually only turn it on at night to power my TV and DVD/Blu-Ray player to occasionally watch a movie in the evening.   (However, I don't like fiddling around in the dark in my jammies to turn it off after watching a movie.)

Does anyone know if I could either wire a switch to turn it on and off inside the coach or is there some sort of remote control adaptation I could use?  The previous owners said they just left it on all the time when they were traveling, but I'd like to option to turn it off since it does draw power when on.

Thanks...
Cheryl

1998 Lazy Daze 26.5 mid-bath 2002 Honda CR-V
Cheryl (a.k.a. Desert Diva)
1998 Lazy Daze (26.5 mid-bath)
2002 Honda CR-V

Re: Turning Off Inverter in Outside Storage Compartment
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 150748
"Does anyone know if I could either wire a switch to turn it on and off inside the coach or is there some sort of remote control adaptation I could use?  "

Cheryl

It should be possible to install a remote on/off switch. It will probably require opening the inverter up to get at the power switch wires and then extending then up into the coach, to a new switch.
It's an advance DIY project.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 150749
Did you check to see if your brand/model of inverter supports a remote power switch?  The 600W PSW inverter I installed in out MB supports one, but I installed ours inside were it is easy to turn on/off, so I didn't need to use a remote.  I think it uses a telephone style jack/plug.

Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 150751
"Does anyone know if I could either wire a switch to turn it on and off inside the coach or is there some sort of remote control adaptation I could use?  The previous owners said they just left it on all the time when they were traveling, but I'd like to option to turn it off since it does draw power when on."  Cheryl

It may be that the pure sine inverter is smart enough that it uses very little 12V power when there is no demand on the 120VAC output.  If there is a manual/specs it might cover that.  Jack

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 150754
"Does anyone know if I could  either wire a switch to turn it on and off inside the coach or is there  some sort of remote control adaptation I could use?  The previous owners  said they just left it on all the time when they were traveling, but  I'd like to option to turn it off since it does draw power when on."   Cheryl

Any of the units can be wired so that you can turn them off from some where else. It depends just how handy you are. It takes no brains. The power wire (+)  that feeds the Converter; Run it into the MH and place a switch there then run the wire back to the Converter.  But first check if there is a separate fuse in the fuse box for the converter; I would think so since the converter pulls so much power. If so you are home free. Remove the wire from the fuse and run it to a switch then run the wire back to the fuse panel and connect to the wire you removed from the fuse.

George

Retired plumber

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 150755
2005 24''  front dinette. My need for a converter was not very much/great. A 175 Watt unit is all that I needed. The TV needed 110 and there is a DVD built into the TV. I needed a place for power for the Home Phone system and electric tooth brush. Also any chargers for rechargeable bat, (ie. camera, GPS). The nice thing about the smaller converters is that some do not have a fan that will use power even when not being used. And they use power even when turned on but no 110 power is drawn. Where mine is installed I can also turn the switch off by just opening the cabinet door.
 See pic here:       Lazy Dazy Motor Home

George

Retired plumber.

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 150758
OK, let's do a little math.  Power (watts) has no bearing on voltage.  1200 watts of power on 12 volts requires 100 amps.  1200 watts of power on 120 volts requires 10 amps.  (Yeah, I know, there are other losses.  I am generalizing here.)
 So, with an inverter that supplies 1500 watts of 110 volt power, you need to provide it with 1500 watts of 12 volt power.  That is 125 amps.  You cannot switch that much power with a remote switch, and you would need massive cables to carry that current to and from a remote switch.  The cables would have to be at least 0 gauge.  You MIGHT be able to do it with a heavy enough relay and a remote switch to run the relay.  It is not a great idea, though, to be switching that many amps unless you have some pretty special equipment.  I suggest you do not pursue switching off the power cable feeding the inverter.
 The power switch on the inverter is a different story.  It almost certainly is not carrying 125 amps of current through the switch.  Rather, it probably controls other circuits to start and stop the inverter.  To deal with that, you need to do a bit of research.  Find the inverter make and model, then do an on line search for the owner's manual and, if you can find one, an installation manual.  There may be a provision to connect a two wire switch to terminals on the inverter, allowing it to be controlled by a remote switch.  If you find such, the job should be fairly easy.  Get a simple on-off switch, commonly called SPST for single pole - single throw.  It will have two wire attachment points.  Connect it to the inverter with two wires or as directed in the manual.
 If there is no provision for connecting a remote switch, it is not a DIY project.  Larry's comment is dead on, but without knowing what kind of current and voltage is being carried, I would not attempt it.
 Some things to watch for - It will probably be a low voltage connection because high voltage is only available with the inverter on.  That means you do not need the kind of wiring used for your conventional outlets (outlet boxes, junction boxes, 2 conductor plus ground #14 wire), but you should make sure that the contacts are protected so something bumping the back of the switch cannot short out the contacts, pull a wire loose or break the switch.  Heat shrink tubing may work for insulating the contacts.  Much better is putting the switch inside a switch box.  Secure the wire between the switch and the inverter so it will not flop around, catch on something in the compartment and pull free.  You can get wire ties that have a hole in one end to accommodate a screw, allowing you to screw the wire ties into the inside wood frame of the cabinet and secure the wires out of the way.  Make sure the switch has a heavy enough rating to carry the load the manual specifies.  Mount the switch someplace convenient but not where you might accidentally bump it with a foot or knee, turning it on or off.
 If you need help with the tech stuff and on-line search, email me with the make and model info.

Ken F in NM
'08 MB

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 150759
"with an inverter that supplies 1500 watts of 110 volt power, you need to provide it with 1500 watts of 12 volt power. That is 125 amps. You cannot switch that much power with a remote switch, and you would need massive cables to carry that current to and from a remote switch. The cables would have to be at least 0 gauge."

Thanks you, Ken! You beat me to it. The idea that you can just rewire the 12V power line feeding a 1,500 W inverter by way of a switch a dozen or so feet away is DANGEROUS. In fact, it's a good way to set your rig on fire, unless you take Ken's advice and calculate the needed wire size (it will be massive!).

As Confucius say, "Man who take electrical advice from plumber likely to end up in hot water." ;-)

Andy Baird

Travels with Andy
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 150763
"As Confucius say, "Man who take electrical advice from plumber likely to end up in hot water." ;-)"

This is classic! I love it but my stomach hurts from laughing so hard. Thanks this made my day.

Bob 01 23.5 TK with toys...

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 150765
"with  an inverter that supplies 1500 watts of 110 volt power, you need to  provide it with 1500 watts of 12 volt power. That is 125 amps. You  cannot switch that much power with a remote switch, and you would need  massive cables to carry that current to and from a remote switch. The  cables would have to be at least 0 gauge."

Thanks  you, Ken! You beat me to it. The idea that you can just rewire the 12V  power line feeding a 1,500 W inverter by way of a switch a dozen or so  feet away is DANGEROUS. In fact, it's a good way to set your rig on  fire, unless you take Ken's advice and calculate the needed wire size  (it will be massive!).

As Confucius say, "Man who take electrical advice from plumber likely to end up in hot water." ;-)

The size of the wire on the Converter was not stated. As we in the computer industry say  "GARBAGE IN GARBAGE  OUT."
 All the converts that I use have a cig plug on the end. The converter that I use for the TV has a cig plug and that is supplied by a #10 wire off the Frig. The #10 wire was even over kill.
 If the wire size needed is larger then #10 and the total length of the wire will be to great then you need to go to a RELAY. The relay will be installed once again on the hot wire to the converter. Now you can get by with lighter wire size to the remote switch, more like 16 or 18 gauge wire
 This is the way that we in the PLUMBING & HEATING INDUSTRY HANDLE A SWAMP COOLER. The relay turns the swamp cooler on which needs #12 wire.
Now we control the swamp cooler with #22 wire through the thermostat. The thermostat is now the remote switch that turns the swamp cooler on. Here we have a converter instead of a swamp cooler.

Thus any converter can be controlled by a remote switch.

George

Retired Plumber.

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 150772
George, everyone except you is discussing an inverter, not a converter.

Ken F in NM
'08 MB

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 150779
George, everyone except you is discussing an inverter, not a converter.

Ken F in NM

If you go to Harbor Fright you will see they list the inverter and converter as the same unit.
 Do a search for inverter then converter. It come up with the same items.

George

Retired Plumber

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 150782
A converter and inverter are 2 different animals. Converter takes AC input and converts to DC output. Inverter does the opposite. Many converters have additional functions such as integrated 3/4 stage battery chargers, power transfer switch, power distribution via fuse panels, etc. It is recommended to install a good surge protector on the AC input to converter. Inverter doesn't need this as it's fed by filtered DC power from converter.

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 150787
I agree with the previous posts regarding using a relay.  ( Assuming that there's not a remote option from the manufacturer ) Install it between the 12 volt feed going from the batteries to the inverter.  Just make sure the relay can handle a continuous load rated higher than the inverter's max draw ( check peak wattage output )  I'd go with a 200amp model like this one... http://www.amazon.com/HERSEE-TERMINAL-CONTINUOUS-SOLENOID-24213BX/dp/B00FGJIJR6/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1423153808&sr=1-2&keywords=200+amp+12+volt+relay The downside of the relay is that it will use some power to hold the switch closed when in use...  Before I did anything, I'd check the standby consumption first.  It may be better to leave it turned on, and one last thought - Make sure the wiring feeding the inverter is properly sized.  If not, you may want to re-do the installation to someplace different.
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 150794
Inconvenient as it seems to need to go outside to turn off the inverter, that would be my choice - unless there happened to be a raging storm going on, in which case I probably would have have turned everything off already!  With all of the wiring that would need to be done to effect any kind of remote switch, and all the places where something could go wrong, I think slipping on a sweater/coat/parka and some slide-on shoes to turn it off by hand would be my preference.  Very low-tech solution!  ;->

Virtual hugs,

Judie http://dorrieanne.wordpress.com

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 150795
I agree with the previous posts regarding using a relay.  ( Assuming  that there's not a remote option from the manufacturer ) Install it  between the 12 volt feed going from the batteries to the inverter.  Just  make sure the relay can handle a continuous load rated higher than the  inverter's max draw ( check peak wattage output )  I'd go with a 200amp  model like this one... http://www.amazon.com/HERSEE-TERMINAL-CONTINUOUS-SOLENOID-24213BX/dp/B00FGJIJR6/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1423153808&sr=1-2&keywords=200+amp+12+volt+relayThe  downside of the relay is that it will use some power to hold the switch  closed when in use...  Before I did anything, I'd check the standby  consumption first.  It may be better to leave it turned on, and one last  thought - Make sure the wiring feeding the inverter is properly sized.   If not, you may want to re-do the installation to someplace different.

That is a good choice in a relay. I forgot about that one. I used it on all my Truck RV for over 40 years. In fact Ford had it as stock on all there camper trucks 3/4 and 1 ton last I know.

George

Retired Plumber.
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 150800
A better solution is to mount the inverter in an interior cabinet, keeping it away from dirt/dust and other outside elements. Don't ever have to go outside to turn on/off. Just make sure to vent the cabinet and install small computer fan to circulate cooling air throughout. You can hide the vent hole using the same vent as LD installs on the furnace output ducts.

On my TK the inverter, solar charge controller, combiner box, surge protector, and remote battery monitor all fit in the cabinet adjacent to coach entry door with room to spare. I had Larry install a cabinet vent and computer fan to keep things cool on hot days. Nice centralized location for electronics, and very close to power converter.

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 150818
You can avoid that drain by using a "latching solenoid relay"; for example, Cole Hersee #24200 (110 amps). My SOB had a latching unit to disconnect the battery. They don't draw any current when off or on, but only when they switch positions.

Eric Greenwell
  [lifewithalazydazerv] wrote on 2/5/2015 8:52 AM:
2005 Jayco 24SS

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 150821
...and that's why I like these forums!  I didn't know something like this existed.  I just wish it were higher in it's rating.  I'll be installing an inverter soon and now I've learned some things to plan for...

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 150832
"Does anyone know if I could either wire a switch to turn it on and off  inside the coach or is there some sort of remote control adaptation I could  use?  "

Cheryl

I'm not a big fan of inverters they waste to much power I do have a Vector 350 Max; 175 operating for the TV/VCR, electric tooth brush charging and charge any thing else that has bats to be charged.
 The 350 does not have a fan so it waste less bat watts. I tested it today and just plugged in turned off at the switch there was still a .01 watt draw at the fuse. In stand by with the switch on it pulled .2 watts and is to be 95% load efficient when in use.

I looked at a vector 2000 and 4000 that Vector makes.

The 2000 is 85% efficient and has a no load of

the 3000 is 85% efficient and has a no load of

That could amount to more than 20 watts per day with NO use.

For any thing like the MW I prefer to start the on-board gen and while running it will charge the bats at the same time

George

Retired Plumber