Skip to main content
Topic: Convert fluorescents to LEDs? (Read 28 times) previous topic - next topic
Convert fluorescents to LEDs?
Yahoo Message Number: 150618
Has anyone converted a 2011 Lazy Daze's several fluorescent light fixtures to LEDs?  Was it a complicated or a fairly simple process?

Re: Convert fluorescents to LEDs?
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 150620
We haven't converted our fluorescent lights yet to LED's, but we have replaced all the other interior and exterior automotive style bulbs to LED's. Checkout eBay Motors in the parts section.  They have an entire category for LED's. I shopped around, and most of the purchases came with free shipping. I replaced all the bulbs to LED's for about $35., even the festoon light in the refrigerator!   They sell flat squares loaded with LED's and I'll purchase some of those to convert my fluorescent fixtures.  I even purchased white and red festoon style bulbs for the cabin lights on our sailboat.  Some came direct from China and shipping took close to two months, but heck, they're all made in China anyway, and the price was worth the wait.

Don

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 150623
"Has anyone converted a 2011 Lazy Daze's several fluorescent light fixtures to LEDs?  Was it a complicated or a fairly simple process?"

You will find all sorts of conversions by searching in the archives, forum members have been switching to LEDs for many  years.
You can buy LEDs on a roll and in replacement tubes so you can convert your fixtures or you can buy complete new LED fixtures.
There are many conversion articles online.

Do pay attention the LEDs 'color' or temperature. The temperature should be listed in the sales literature, if it isn't, expect very bright white or bluish bulbs, they are cheaper to produce.
Most prefer the warm-white bulbs which cast a yellowish light and are between 2700-3000 K.
Bulbs are also available in a 'hotter'  brighter white or even bluish colors (Cool-white 4000 K and up )

All LED coach lights.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 150630
"Has anyone converted a 2011 Lazy Daze's several fluorescent light fixtures to LEDs?  Was it a complicated or a fairly simple process?"

This Eureka article on fluorescent to LED conversion describes one way to do it.

Andy Baird

Travels with Andy
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 150647
We saw led bulbs at campers world. They looked the same size as the florescent ones. A lot more expensive of course, but we have come to expect that. We haven't researched it but superficially it looked as if you just pulled out the old florescent ones and plug in the new led tubes. Art and I could not even begin to do what Andy did! Are we misled by their appearance? Sandy
KalleAnka
'96 23.5 TK

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 150651
We saw led bulbs at campers world.  They looked the same size as the  florescent ones.  A lot more expensive of course, but we have come to expect  that.  We haven't researched it but superficially it looked as if you just  pulled out the old florescent ones and plug in the new led tubes. Art and I  could not even begin to do what Andy did! Are we misled by their appearance? Sandy
KalleAnka
'96 23.5 TK

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 150654
While not being cheap, Starlight tubes are the easiest way to upgrade a fluorescent fixture.
The LED tube directly replaces the fluorescent tube.
The two 12-volt power wires from the switch to the ballast  must be cut and  the new LED tube connected to the two switched power wires. It's very easy to do. The disconnected  ballast can be left in place or removed.
http://www.amazon.com/Starlights-T8-18-18-Inch-Fluorescent-Replacement/dp/B004LFAACI The tubes can be rotated, provide the best possible aiming,

Larry
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Larry

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 150655
I did some of mine with strips from Cabin Bright.  I did one with just one warm strip (over the bed/sofa), which is reasonably bright.  I did the lights over the chairs opposite the sofa/bed (2003 27' RB) and over the eating table with one warm strip controlled by and added dimmer and one cool strip controlled by the original switch.  This allows anything from dim warm to bright broad spectrum light, but a bit pricey.  I moved a previously purchased LED tube that is cool over the sink.

I noticed I had overlooked the fixture in the middle of the living area, which I don't think I would use much.  I put a green strip from Oznium in that one.  The strip was to long so I had to hack the fixture and the strip sticks out past the end of the fixture.  Oznium told me I could cut the strip at 3 inch intervals with a hack saw.   Anyone ever done that?  I could then add a blue strip creating a Seahawks light!

Jay
Jay Carlson
2003  LD RB
2005 Bigfoot 40MH35LX
rvingjaygwynne.wordpress.com

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 150656
I originally heard about the Starlights from Art Berggreen; he had installed them and recommended the product. They're pricey, but they provide far more/brighter light than the fluorescent tubes. Larry replaced the 2 OEM tubes with one Starlight in each of the over-the-couch fixtures in my TK, and the improvement in illumination was dramatic. The over-the-sink fixture has two Starlight tubes (and a Larry-engineered puck LED); I wanted plenty of light in the galley area, and I got it! (Thanks, Larry!)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 150657
I replaced all of the bulbs in my new to me 2003 RB with LED's from M4 products. Reasonable prices, great shipping and awesome support. I'd recommend their products to anyone that is looking to go the LED route. Here is a direct link to their "tube" replacements.

http://www.m4products.com/tube-lights/

Fred

Re: Convert fluorescents to LEDs?- Now color of light
Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 150660
For anyone considering LED replacements, make sure the 'color'  or temperature of the light is to your liking.
Many inexpensive LEDs have very high Kevin (K) numbers, since it is cheaper to produce them, compared to the warmer-white bulbs..
Most prefer a warm-white in the 2700-3000-K range, especially in the Lounge area.
In the kitchen, a 4000-K LED is fine. Much higher than 4500-K, the light starts becoming blue to blue-white.
Many LEDs are in the 6000-K range and, IMO, unsuitable for RV interior usage.

So, check the specifications on any LED before buying, the color or temperature of the LED should be given.
If it isn't provided, pass on the light, it is most likely a cheap 6000-K LED.

Larry
Larry

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 150670
Joan, were these the Starlights in the link Larry provided thus being 810 lumens and 4500 kelvin? And how would you classify them, warm white, cool white, hot pink??? Are you satisfied with the color of the light they throw off?

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 150672
Larry, can a dimmer switch be added to existing ceiling lights in the LD?

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 150675
Same ones, Chris; mine are warm white, and I like the quality and amount of light. I ordered them from Starlight; If you go to the "tube" product page on the Starlight website, there's a how-to installation video.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 150677
Larry is right about pricey. The Starlight cost $47 EACH (IT DOES NOT SAY YOU GET TWO) You do need two bulbs. I did the whole MH and trailer inside lights for about $120 and the prices have dropped greatly since I did my MH a year ago. I did 5 florescent light fixtures, 24" strip under the stove hood, 6 incandescent light, 2 night lites, 2 back up lights, 10 running lights, and 4 light in the inclosed trailer.
 Also looked at the Cabin Bright lite. It is $55 per light fixture, Puts out the same amount of light as the 2 tubes that we have now and just as easy to install as the Star light. Looked at the M4 prodect line and they like to brag how much better there product is that any one else. And they price is even bigger than they Braging.
 I got every thing from E-BAY and ever thing worked and is still working 1 year later. Did 5 florescents light fixtures and the stove hood light for less than $40. These would cost just short of $500 with Starlite and do not include the hood light. If you can do the Starlite or the Cabin Brite you can do the strip where you cut it from a roll.
The starlight with two tubes puts out 1620 Lumens. The tubes in your fixture puts out 2600 lumens. That is a  38% less in light.
The starlight require a little more electrical work than going with the strips (Roll). But with the strips you do have to plug them together like pluging in a toaster at the wall. Same for the Cabin Bright but cost $55 ($45 less than the Starlite) and put out 100 less lumens than the present light. They do have a similar unit that cost $5 or 10 more and put out 20% more light.
 The Starlight is not the easiest way to go. You have to do the wiring at the switch just as you would with the strips. But if you can cut the strips with a pair of scissors and plug the unit together with the connects they are just as easy. When you use the connectors you do not have to do any extra wiring. They are plug and play/work.

George

Retired plumber

While not being cheap, Starlight tubes are the easiest way to upgrade a  fluorescent fixture.

The LED tube directly replaces the fluorescent tube.
The two 12-volt power wires from the switch to the ballast  must be cut and   the new LED tube connected to the two switched power wires. It's very easy to  do. The disconnected  ballast can be left in place or removed.
http://www.amazon.com/Starlights-T8-18-18-Inch-Fluorescent-Replacement/dp/B004LFAACI The tubes can be rotated, provide the best possible aiming,

Larry

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 150685
"The Starlight cost $47 EACH ... [and] You do need two bulbs."

As George points out, that makes the cost per fixture about ten times what it would be if you used self-adhesive LED strips. That's enough to make anyone stop and think.

As always, you have a choice: pay through the nose or do it yourself. I've done it both ways. When I bought my current rig and needed a long list of electrical upgrades, I hired an RV tech to do them, because I knew it would take me months. But when I rewired the rig years later, I did the job myself, saving thousands of dollars and learning a lot in the process. It all depends upon your priorities.

But generally, I favor doing it yourself. If that means acquiring new skills, so much the better. And this fluorescent-to-LED replacement task has gotten a lot easier since I did mine a couple of years ago. Clip-on end connectors for the LED strips eliminate soldering (not that soldering is hard to learn). When you consider thateven with the LED "tubes" you're going to have to do some rewiring anyway, it makes sense to consider doing it yourself with the stick-on LED strips, for a small fraction of the cost.

Andy Baird

Travels with Andy
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 150689
"The Starlight cost $47 EACH ... [and] You do need two bulbs." --- Depending on the location of the fixture, one does not *need* "two bulbs". If one *wants* two "bulbs", one can install them, but in my experience (in a TK), two replacement fluorescent tubes in each of the fixtures over the rear couches provided too MUCH light. There are two tubes in the fixture over the sink.

Like many other things, LED light technology, i.e., options, variations, configurations, efficiency, and prices, changes quickly; what was state-of-the-art a few months ago may be outdated to the point of obsolescence today. I agree that it's a smart move to consider all the currently available products to determine what works best for one's own needs, and, if able and so inclined, to do one's own installation(s). But, as with most any "YMMV" issues,  "You pays yer money and you takes yer choice".

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 150710
"The Starlight cost $47 EACH ... [and] You do need two bulbs." --- Depending  on the location of the fixture, one does not *need* "two bulbs". If one  *wants* two "bulbs", one can install them, but in my experience (in a  TK), two replacement fluorescent tubes in each of the fixtures over the  rear couches provided too MUCH light. There are two tubes in the fixture  over the sink.

Joan

To start with Joan reduced the light out put to less than 1/3 of the original light from the fixture. A Starlight bulb puts out 810 lumens and two florencent tube puts out 2600 lumens.   2600 divided by 810 = 3.21
 What Joan is really saying is I'm being cheap and can get along with "ONE" tube. But in the kitchen I "DO" need 2 tubes. When I set at the couch and try to read I want to be able to see the writing. When I re-did my florescent light I built them to put out even more light.
 I do not know why any one would use the Starlight bulb other than the fact that they are not well in informed to what is out there or they lession to the wrong people. It it the worst choice out there. The Cabin Bright is a far better choice and even that is not a good choice cost wise. The way to go is with the strip of LED's on a roll.
 With all of these bulbs you need to remove the light from the MH, disable the old florescent parts and re-wire for the new bulb to the switch. With the Cabin Bright you have squares made up of LED and you peal the paper off the back and stick them to the fixture. Big deal. The SL will cost you $100 per fixture. The CB will cost you $55 per fixture. But with the Strips I can do "ALL 4 FLORESCENT LIGHT FIXTURES" for less than $25. With the strips you cut them to length, push the end into a connector and close the lock. Connect as many as you want and then peal the paper off the back and stick them to the fixture. Connecting the strips is as easy as pluging your MH into the shore power.
 I did some of the fixtures with 4 strips because I wanted more light where I read. and 3 strips where I just wanted general light. Because of the extra 3 strips needed for the 3 light fixtures and I also have a 5th florescent lights I needed 2 rolls of LED. With what was left over I made a new LED light under the stove hood and may use the rest for accent lighting. Because I used some for the hood where they will get greasy over time and need cleaning and may want to use some of the lights outside I went with the water proof. That cost me $6 more. My new light under the stove hood puts out the same amount of light as the florescent light over the sink. Cost $2.00 You can get the non water proof rolls for $10; The water proof rolls will cost $13. The strip connector cost 50 cents each. You may need 15 of these.

George

Retired Plumber

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 150712
What Joan is really saying is I'm being cheap and can get along with "ONE" tube.

---- George, you are certainly entitled to your opinions, but those opinions can be expressed without resorting to insults, rudeness, and/or random speculations on another's reasons for choosing one product or procedure over another.

As ever, YMMV.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 150714
"What Joan is really saying is I'm being cheap and can get along with "ONE" tube."

George

You DON'T  know what you are talking about. Joan is not cheap in any way.

True, you can switch to LEDs on the cheap ...if you are comfortable rewiring the fixtures, many here are not.

If you really want to save money, using LEDs on a roll, the whole MH could be done for less than $25...and would take many, many hours of labor. We all chose how we want to do it and how much we are comfortable  spending.
http://www.amazon.com/HitLights-White-SMD3528-Light-Strip/dp/B005GL5UG2/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1422809993&sr=8-6&keywords=led+roll They are dimmable, in case Chris H. is looking.

You have your own unusual ways but they are not necessarily right for the rest of us, so back off and let us have our own opinions. Repeating yourself over and over accomplishes nothing, other than annoying people.

There is a tremendous knowledge base here with a lot a very smart people that have been involved with LDs and RVing for many years. Many here have been forum members for a decade or more..
Most do not appreciate a newbie showing up and taking over every subject with his 'superior' knowledge and 'better ways' of doing things that many of us figured out to do efficiently years ago.

Larry.
Larry

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 150716
George, your remarks about Joan are way off base. She is one of the most knowledgeable, helpful members of this group, and as far from cheap as anyone can be. You owe her an apology. This group is not about judging people, or hurling insults their way.

Peace and Love, Bob

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 150717
I think George was saying that HE was being cheap, not Joan. I think it was meant to be a tongue in cheek type of remark, said with a smile. At least, this is the way I read it.

MEL

From: lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com [mailto:lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com] Subject: [LD] Re: Convert fluorescents to LEDs?

George, your remarks about Joan are way off base. She is one of the most knowledgeable, helpful members of this group, and as far from cheap as anyone can be. You owe her an apology. This group is not about judging people, or hurling insults their way.

Peace and Love,

Bob

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 150720
You may be right, Mary; perhaps I misinterpreted George's remarks. At any rate, it's past; moving on now...

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 150722
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HimF41FIyak

I  think George was saying that HE was being cheap, not Joan. I think it  was meant to be a tongue in cheek type of remark, said with a smile. At  least, this is the way I read it.

MEL

Thanks Mel it was not intended as it was wrote.

George

For those that want to make the change, hold off, I have found videos on how to install the strips. You can see how easy it really is and no reason to be intimidated that you can not do it. The first strip of lights may take you an hour but the rest of the strips should take less then10 minutes or less to build.

There is a 4th way to do this job for those that still think they can only change the tube. I found an LED that you just remove the old tube and install the new one. And they only cost $40 each, not $50. $80 per fixture. In fact they show how to do it on the lights that LD used in my 2005 MH. Yes it is for a 12 volt system. But I still do not recommend them if you know how to turn a screw drive.

For those that really want to push it there is a Dimmer that You can install but it would mean you have to remove the ballast.

Now back to the game

George

Retired Plumber