Skip to main content
Topic: Corelle vs. other (Read 6 times) previous topic - next topic
Corelle vs. other
Yahoo Message Number: 150551
Corelle "dinnerware" (specifically plates, bowls, cups, and "serving" dishes, not Corningware or Pyrex) is made of a three-layer high-fired glass composition; a search under "Vitrelle" will bring up the manufacturing process used.

Although Corelle certainly *can* shatter "forcefully" into shards if dropped onto a hard surface, IMO, the positive features of the material outweigh the potential "shrapnel" effect of a shattered plate or other piece. I don't minimize the mess Corelle makes when it explodes; it happened to me once when a plate shot out of an improperly closed cupboard when rounding a curve and "frisbeed" into the refrigerator. However, that was the only mishap, and I'm still using the *same* open stock pieces (with one plate replacement and a couple of newer dog bowl add-ons!) that I first bought in 1990; it's as new.

Corelle is inexpensive, lightweight, resistant to chipping, cracking, and scratching, does not retain grease, can be used in the oven and microwave (not on the stovetop), and comes in a wide variety of patterns. Buying open stock instead of "boxed" allows one to customize the collection to only what's needed.

Every type of "RV dishware" has its proponents; people use everything from paper plates to plastic dishware to pie tins to heirloom china. I've heard of those whose entire set of dishware consists of take-out containers. Some may even use wooden trenchers; who knows? I like Corelle; YMMV. ;-)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Re: Corelle vs. other
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 150553
I have used corelle in the home since I can remember.

Have used in the campers since 2000.

Use 80%?? of the time rest is cheap paper.
 Had some other plate for a few trips but got read of it and went to Corelle. Much lighter and did not take up as much room on shelf.

For me only way to fly.

George

Retired Plumber

Corelle  "dinnerware" (specifically plates, bowls, cups, and "serving" dishes, not  Corningware or Pyrex) is made of a three-layer high-fired glass composition; a  search under "Vitrelle" will bring up the manufacturing process  used.

Although  Corelle certainly *can* shatter "forcefully" into shards if dropped onto a hard  surface, IMO, the positive features of the material outweigh the potential  "shrapnel" effect of a shattered plate or other piece. I don't minimize the mess  Corelle makes when it explodes; it happened to me once when a plate shot out of  an improperly closed cupboard when rounding a curve and "frisbeed" into the  refrigerator. However, that was the only mishap, and I'm still using the *same*  open stock pieces (with one plate replacement and a couple of newer dog bowl  add-ons!) that I first bought in 1990; it's as new.

Corelle  is inexpensive, lightweight, resistant to chipping, cracking, and scratching,  does not retain grease, can be used in the oven and microwave (not on the  stovetop), and comes in a wide variety of patterns. Buying open stock instead of  "boxed" allows one to customize the collection to only what's  needed.

Every  type of "RV dishware" has its proponents; people use everything from paper  plates to plastic dishware to pie tins to heirloom china. I've heard of those  whose entire set of dishware consists of take-out containers. Some may even use  wooden trenchers; who knows? I like Corelle; YMMV. ;-)

Joan

Re: Corelle vs. other
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 150554
Add my vote for Corelle.  I've been using the same set, with no breakage, since the late 80's - through the Volkswagen camper days, a 22-foot Lazy Daze, a 40-foot diesel pusher, and now a 27-foot Lazy Daze.  They stack so compactly that service for four fits neatly into a deep dishpan with room to spare.  I poke all manner of other eating/serving things around in the gaps.  This sits happily on the shelf in the cabinet above the stove, taking up minimum room.  Extra added benefit is that I can haul the whole thing down to get out what I want, but I have them arranged so that usually I am able to just stick my hand up there and land on the desired dish.

If you are short on water, a good clean-up ploy is to line your plate with a cupcake-style coffee filter, if the food type is amenable to same.  This vastly cuts down on the amount of water needed to clean the dish.  If a coffee filter is not sufficient, it is probably useful to keep a supply of the cheap paper plates on hand, and use the solid plate as a sturdier base.  Again, this obviates a lot of scraping of food particles.  The new soft, flat spatulas do a really marvelous job of removing nearly every speck of anything off a plate or pot, so long as it is still moist.

I don't much use the microwave for reheating foods, so putting paper onto the plate, then food, then heat is not something I have actually had any experience with.  I reheat mostly in covered 8-inch frying pan(s) on the stove, even at home.  You can do a lot of good things with a bit of watered down BBQ sauce, or a thin gravy for meat, and/or a watery butter sauce for veggies.  A two-part steamer is really good for reheating rice, pasta, or anything that won't fall through the holes.  Thick pieces of foods, like say, a thick piece of chicken breast, will do better with direct contact with heat in the small frying pan.

You would be amazed at how well this reheating process works to retain the deliciousness of the food.  If no "sauce" is available, I use a small spray bottle that I keep filled with distilled water to spray food to be reheated.  This creates a loving envelope of steam around the food and heats it without drying it out.  At home, I have a 14-inch frying pan that has conveniently been segmented into three compartments, and it does a wonderful job in place of a microwave.

Here is one way of doing it:

https://dorrieanne.wordpress.com/2014/10/13/reheating-without-a-microwave/>

And, yes, I have a microwave in both home and Lazy Daze, but use it mostly to heat the little "warmy" things that snuggle in bed with me when it is cold.

Virtual hugs,

Judie http://dorrieanne.wordpress.com