Skip to main content
Topic: NM State Park camping (Read 15 times) previous topic - next topic
NM State Park camping
Yahoo Message Number: 150426
I'm planning to do some extended camping (full-time) in the State Parks of New Mexico and would like some input on how to plan those reservations.  I am aware of the annual parks pass ($225/month for out-of-state resident) and the restriction of 14 days per campground in 20 days, but I'd like some advice on how far ahead it will be necessary to make reservations and how to work around weekend crowds, holidays, etc.  Also, is there a charge by ReserveAmerica to make those reservations?
 I realize this is not really Lazy Daze related, but am hoping it is within the range of discussion topics on this forum.  Thanks in advance for any input and your time.

Glenn

Re: NM State Park camping
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 150428
the annual parks pass ($225/month for out-of-state resident)

---- I think you mean $225 a *year* for a New Mexico state parks' non-resident camping pass. It's a great deal!

Andy and others familiar with NM state parks will very likely answer your reservation questions and provide helpful resource links.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 150433
Andy's New Mexico State Parks listing is just absolutely invaluable!  Be sure to click on the column headings to sort by your preference, and the banner headings for additional great information.

You can add the icon to your iOS device(s), too, for really quick access.  This is not a stand alone app, though, so you will need net access to see all the information available.

If you plan to be in the New Mexico State Parks system for more than 23 days, this is the bargain of the century.  I haven't been to all of the parks, but the ones I have been in were just splendid, and I would return to any one of them for as long as they allow a visit.

Virtual hugs,

Judie http://dorrieanne.wordpress.com

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 150439
Glenn, a key question is "when"?  I am in one of the parks now, bouncing between here and another nearby for the winter.  This time of year, the parks are mostly empty and no reservations are needed.  I expect that there will be times in warmer weather, such as holiday weekends, when you might want to get a reservation.  I think if you are boondocking, you can probably find places to go where you will not need a reservation.  A few examples -

Elephant Butte Lake State Park - South Monticello Point has several boondocking spots just north of the electrical hookup area.  If the road to North Monticello Point gets regraded, that will provide LOTS of spaces, but I would not try taking my rig there now - too rutted.
 Caballo Lake has Percha Flats, a boondocking area above the dam, and Riverside, where there are a number of spaces along the river with no hookups.  I have never seen either full.

Percha Dam has a few boondocking spots by the dam.
My familiarity is limited to the October to March time frame.  Once you hit warm weather, I head north, so I cannot advise about summer conditions.

Ken F in NM
'08 MB

Re: [LD] Re: NM State Park camping
Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 150440
We spent the summer and fall in the NM State Parks (we tried the winter and lasted until the end of December when it simply got too cold for us).
 The parks in the northern part of the state are at higher elevations...some around the 7,000' - 8,000' elevation.  At no time did we need to run the A/C.

Linda Hylton

My familiarity is limited to the October to March time frame.  Once you hit warm weather, I head north, so I cannot advise about summer conditions.
Linda Hylton

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 150446
Yes, it would be the winter months I would be more likey to be interested in.  I do think I would prefer electricity at my site.  I could manage with my generator, but I'd rather not.
 Thanks for pointing out my conflicting statement calling it the $225 ANNUAL pass and stating it cost $225/month.  DUH!  Does my preference for 30 amp service complicate finding sites easily?

Thanks to all for your responses.

Glenn

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 150447
"Does my preference for 30 amp service complicate finding sites easily?"

In the New Mexico state parks I've visited, electric sites have 15 A and 30 A service. However, not all sites are electric, by any means. On average, about one third of the sites in a given campground have electricity, while the rest are dry-camping sites.

"I do think I would prefer electricity at my site. I could manage with my generator, but I'd rather not."

Oh, absolutely. Although southern New Mexico is colder than the more popular snowbird areas in Arizona and California, you can be quite comfortable with a couple of small, inexpensive electric heaters... and since the power in the state parks is not metered, you can use as much as you want (within the 30 amps available to you, of course).

Andy Baird

Travels with Andy
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 150450
When I got my LD I removed the cumbersome 30 amp cord and made a 20 amp cord (12 gauge wire) that is long enough to reach the 20 amp plug just inside the garage. I have never found that not having 30 amp service a problem.
I find no need to run the Microwave and a space heater or the A/C at the same time.

George

Retired Plumber

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 150452
My SOB would have a problem running the AC and the coach battery charger at the same time, or the electric water heater, and possibly the refrigerator, especially in high temperatures (say, 100 degrees). My wife would be quite annoyed if I instructed her to turn off the AC while she was preparing a meal and using the microwave, and I'd risk traveling alone if the breaker kicked off the AC when she plugged in her iron to smooth out some fabric for the quilts she makes :-)
 But, I like the idea of the smaller cable! And it would work just fine at lower temperatures, certainly 80 degrees or less, perhaps even 90 degrees. I do ocasionally use a 12 gauge extension cord when I'm not expecting to use a lot of power, to avoid deploying the heavy 30 amp cord or operate a distance from the AC outlet, but then I keep a close watch on the voltage being delivered to the motorhome.

Eric Greenwell
  [lifewithalazydazerv] wrote on 1/20/2015 7:40 PM:
2005 Jayco 24SS

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 150457
I can see a number of issues with using a 20 amp service rather than the 30 amp standard.  First, it is pretty much standard that campsites with electricity have 30, and sometimes 50 amp connections at the pedestals.  Most such also have a standard 3 prong outlet.  These are sometimes 20 amp and sometimes 15 amp.  If you need 20 amp and only have 15 available, you might have problems.  Second, it is poor practice to take your systems close to their limit on a regular basis.  If you run the AC and any other draw - lights, charging up your batteries, microwave, hair dryer, DVR for the tv, the tv itself, coffee pot, etc., you can find the net load quickly drawing close to 20 amps.
 If you are camping in your garage and use a short #12 cord to connect, that may be fine, but once you leave your garage, why not avail yourself of the reserve capacity that a 30 amp service provides?

Ken F in NM
'08 MB

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 150458
Erik, if you are in hot weather and have the AC going and the refrigerator going, 20 amps leaves you little reserve.  A lighter cord might be appealing in terms of handling and storage, but I think it is a really really bad idea.
 If I am camping and hooked up to shore power, I will normally have the following powered: Computer CPAP TV DVR A few lights Refrigerator Vent fans Occasionally, my printer Occasionally, chargers for things like my phone, my kindle, etc., Water pump Water heater control circuits
 Individually, these loads are small, but add them together, and the collective load becomes significant.
 Now, in hot weather, increase the demand on the refrigerator and add in the AC.
In cold weather, I run my heat strip in the AC and an electric radiant heater, plus if very cold, the furnace may come on.
 If I have been boondocking, my 6 AGM batteries may pull 100 amps at 12 volts out of the controller.  That equates to 10 amps at 120 volts, so add that in.
 At this moment, my system is pulling 12 amps.  I have the TV and DVR on, my computer on, and my radiant heater running.  It is 37 outside so there is little load ion the refrigerator but when it kicks on, add several more amps, putting me above 15 amps.  In a little while I will grind some coffee.  That draws several amps.  If the heat strip kicks on, that draws about 10 amps.  I can easily hit the 25 amp range on my system in cold weather, without any draw to charge my batteries, currently at 100%.  I can see using a 20 amp connection if my rig is in storage, but if I am using it, I see 30 amps as an absolute minimum.

Ken F in NM
'08 MB

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 150459
As others have said, pushing your electrical supply to the limit is not  good idea... and deliberately restricting it seems foolish to me.

When I need to plug into a 15- or 20-amp outlet at a friend's house, I use an adapter that cost less than ten bucks. But I wouldn't dream of permanently crippling my rig down to 20 amps!

Andy Baird

Travels with Andy
Andy Baird

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 150460
"I use an adapter that cost less than ten bucks." ---- I also use adapters, but prefer the "cord" type rather than the "puck". Examples (adapters are widely available): 30AF>15MF

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-power-cords/15382.htm

50AM>30AF

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-power-cords/10269.htm

Both types of adapters are available in "straight plug" or "dogbone" styles, and some 30AF>15AM adapters even have a "handle" to make them easier to use.

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-55165-PowerGrip-Dogbone-Electrical/dp/B000BUU5YA

As always, YMMV. ;-)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 150461
I also use 30 AMP adapters, but prefer the "cord" type rather than the "puck".

Don't use the "puck" type unless you don't run A.C. or Microwave. I did this last summer while running A.C. and the "puck" welded itself to the 30 AMP power connector end of cord. It was lots of fun prying the 2 apart.

The "cord" type adapters don't do this in my experience. Available cheap at Walmart.

Bob

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 150462
Why do you waist the electric just because it is free. Yes it is in the cost of the site but the camp site's keep rising the fee to cover the cost of people like you. I have been in KOA's where they charged $5.00 extra just because you had an A/C unit on the roof; and that was 15 years ago when electric was cheap.
 90% of our camping is DRY so we learned to conserve. When you are camped in one spot for 2+ weeks you need to learn to conserve on both electric and water. I get by 2 or 3 day with out charging the bat. I may run the on board gen to use the MW for 10 to 15 minutes total a day at the most. The MH is 100% LED. If you can not get along with out the hear dryer stay home. One thing that gets the true campers REALLY mad is having to hear your DAM on-board gen run 14+ hours a day.  I do not have to have every light in the house on at the same time. One light will light the whole MH unless were reading. I have a 140 watt converter that supplies 110 power to the 24" TV, DVD player, Home phone, lap top if used (VERY VERY ever used)  and all other bat charging devices at the same time.
 In the MH all 12 volt devices get they power form the bat not the 110. That includes the frig, water pump, HW heater, 2 vent fans if used and furnace when DRY camping. Why do you over work the converter to just keep charging the bat. They do rate the bats at so many recharge times.  I use a Honda 1000 amp gen to re-supply the bat when they get low every 2 or 3 days. I carry a 10 foot cord for the gen which only puts out 7.5 amp. 'O' I forgot the 2 fans in the frig that run 24/7. Some think the frig fans keep them awake at night. The 500 watt heater in the A/C will wake the dead. So it is not used even in a camp ground. Small portable 1500 watt heaters work so much better. They put the heat out at the floor not at the ceiling.
 If the 1000 Honda which only puts out 7.5 amps can keep me supplied how is it that I need more than a 20 amp supply in a camp ground. WASTE NOT WANT NOT.
 When I was in Alaska for 14 weeks the only place to stay in some town was at a camp ground that did not have hook ups. It was dry camping in the city you might say. I do not know how other campers  could put up with those that had to keep the gen running 14 hours a day.
 You say taking the system close to limits. How is it close to limits when we can get along with a 7.5 amp power supply for a few hours a day. Even if I left the gen running 12 hours a day I would not be needing a 30 amp service and have power to spare.

George

Retired Plumber

I can see a number of issues with using a 20 amp service rather than the 30 amp  standard. First, it is pretty much standard that campsites with electricity have  30, and sometimes 50 amp connections at the pedestals. Most such also have a  standard 3 prong outlet. These are sometimes 20 amp and sometimes 15 amp. If you  need 20 amp and only have 15 available, you might have problems. Second, it is  poor practice to take your systems close to their limit on a regular basis. If  you run the AC and any other draw - lights, charging up your batteries,  microwave, hair dryer, DVR for the tv, the tv itself, coffee pot, etc., you can  find the net load quickly drawing close to 20 amps.
 If you are camping  in your garage and use a short #12 cord to connect, that may be fine, but once  you leave your garage, why not avail yourself of the reserve capacity that a 30  amp service provides?

Ken F in NM

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 150463
"I also use adapters, but prefer the "cord" type rather than the "puck".

Joan'

The "dog bone" or cord style of adapters dissipates heat better than the puck adapters. I have seen many 'pucks' burned to a crisp.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 150464
The "dog bone" or cord style of adapters dissipates heat better than the puck adapters. I have seen many 'pucks' burned to a crisp.
---- I went to the cord adapters many years ago after a "fried lump" experience! ;-)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 150465
I would feel very stupid,  after converting my LD to a 20-amp plug and cord, if I was sitting in a campground, in frigid weather, and could only run one, instead of two electric heaters.
I know I would be kicking my butt around and wondering what the heck was I thinking, but that's just me.

If you have 30-amp available, you have already paid for it. You don't have to use all 30-amps, but it's there and paid for.
If the site has a 50-amp, you have already paid for it too.
A tip for 30-31" 30-31' LD owners, plug into the unused 120-volt outlet and run extension cord for a third heater, Chris H's idea.

Having electrical power for heat is the main reason we stay in campgrounds, in freezing conditions, making it possible to camp comfortably, with all the utilities functional, for  periods of time.
You can't do it long term without shore power.

With high quality 30-15-amp converter cords available, what possible advantage could this offer? The removable power cord isn't that hard to deal with. We carry a total of 100' of 30-amp cord and it fits fine in our small 23.5' FL.
I want my rig to have more flexibility and capability, not less.

Even if 90% of ones camping is boondocking, I see no need to cripple your LD electrically.
Many of us have gone through our LDs and set them up to be a energy efficient as possible too, we boondock too.
What we power our rigs with and how it's managed is determined on where we are parked, it's best to be prepared for all conditions.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 150466
"Why do you waist [sic] the electric just because it is free."

I said I used it to keep warm on cold days. That's not a waste. And I pay my campground fees and my annual-pass fees--I'm not freeloading. (In fact, for a good part of each year I dry camp, as I'm doing now in midwinter, and rely on solar power for most of my energy needs.)

If you can get by on seven amps, great. But you didn't have to cut off your 30 amp cord to do that--it's too much like cutting off your nose to spite your face. Most of us like to have the option of using power when appropriate, rather than artificially crippling our rigs' capabilities.

Andy Baird

Travels with Andy
Andy Baird

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 150467
"The 'dog bone' or cord style of adapters dissipates heat better than the puck adapters. I have seen many 'pucks' burned to a crisp."

Thanks to those who offered this advice. I actually carry both types (I believe in redundancy), but will choose the "dogbone" type from now on.

Andy Baird

Travels with Andy
Andy Baird

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 150469
George, you seem to think  that everyone uses their RV the same way you do.  We don't.  Few of us would claim that 90% of their camping is dry.  Even those of us who have a home and use our RV's periodically rather than full time, often see our RV as a second home or vacation home in which we want the same luxuries we have at home, as nearly as we can manage that.  That is why we have an RV rather than a tent.  For many of us, our RV is our home.  If you are one of those, and you need a hair dryer (I sure don't :-) anymore) then you need that hair dryer in your RV, and you should be able to use it without being criticized by others.
 Using electricity is not necessarily wasting electricity, and I, for one, resent that you seem to imply that people using more electricity than you are wasting it.  My overnight electrical needs, when I am dry camping, drop my batteries to the low 70% range, meaning I either charge the batteries when daytime comes or I damage them the next night.

While my RV is 100% LED, most of the people here cannot say that.
 Let's look at some specific numbers.  Based on the amp usage display on my surge protector, when my 1500 watt Lasko heater is off, my ambient or base draw is about 4 amps.  The Lasko can draw as much as 12 amps, bringing the draw up to 16 amps.  The heat strip in the AC unit draws about 10 amps.  At the moment, I have my TV, my DVR, and my computer on.  The Lasko is running, and the heat strip just kicked on.  I am drawing 25 amps, none of it wasted, none of it free.
 If you do not need, and never will need more than 20 amps, that's great.  I commend you, but I do not believe that your experience is representative of most of us.  You need to understand that.

Ken F in NM
'08 MB

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 150471
Nothing is "free", as in "there is no free lunch".  The campground fee is calcuated to provide the owner a profit after all known, predictable costs, including all costs of providing staff, electricity, water, maintenance and upkeep,  repairs, taxes, mortgage payments, etc.

Self-appointed vigilantes for "goodness" rarely persuade me of anything.

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 150474
Fully agree with opinions on the "dog bone versus puck" question.  I also have both types, but never use the pucks.  One exception:  I use a 20 amp-to-30 amp puck to protect the pins on my shore power cable plug.  I put it on the plug whenever I store the cable.
 I also carry a spray can of electrical contact cleaner and will spray a little into the campground shore power receptacle if it looks corroded or dirty.  After doing this I often will use a 30 amp-to-20 amp puck as a "cleaning tool."
 Another thing that I have experienced is wear on the shore power cable connector pins.  After several years of use, the brass plating on the pins of my Marinco cable plug wore away such that a lot of the copper was visible.  I assumed that this was probably not a good thing and replaced the cable.

Doug Baker