Skip to main content
Topic: insulating the holding tanks (Read 7 times) previous topic - next topic
insulating the holding tanks
Yahoo Message Number: 150412
Greetings all...   I am a 'never before RV owner' about to order my first RV.  Hubby and I have done A LOT of research on RV's and have decided on a Lazy Daze. :-)  We are about ready to order, but have a question about the tank insulation.  Our plan is to go fulltime for a couple of years so we will definitely encounter some cold weather at some point.  I visited the Lazy Daze factory a few months ago and spoke with Steve at great lengths.  The one thing that he stated that went against what my hubby and I were planning was to NOT get the insulation of the outside holding tanks.  Steve said (if I understood him correctly) that the tanks would end up freezing anyway, and it would be best to go into the situation with empty tanks.  (This somewhat makes sense to me, as our washer and dryer at our house are in the detached garage, and that is pretty much what we do with the pipes, when we know freezing weather is expected).

I would appreciate any opinions and experiences that you have had with this.  ...and apologies ahead of time if this has been discussed at great lengths, I did a search, but did not find the info I am looking for.

Thanks in advance.

Rebecca
Rebecca in WA
2016 mid-bath
"Ramirez"

Re: insulating the holding tanks
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 150414
Rebecca,

We made the mistake of getting the insulated holding tanks on our mid bath.  Yes, they will still freeze, it just takes longer.  Once they do freeze, all that insulation makes the tanks act like big coolers and it takes a long time for them to thaw.

Monti

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 150416
Monti,
 Thank you for the response.  I never thought about the reverse...making them into coolers.  :-p

I guess we go with NO insulation.

-Rebecca Winters "the possibility of unconditional love"
Rebecca in WA
2016 mid-bath
"Ramirez"

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 150420
Rebecca, Steve gave you good advice. The optional sprayed-on tank insulation has few benefits and many drawbacks. It's discussed in this Eureka article on tank-gauge upgrades. You may also want to check out this article on cold-weather camping.

Andy Baird

Travels with Andy
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 150422
Awesome!  Thanks for the links Andy.  SOOO much information there...

Rebecca in WA
2016 mid-bath
"Ramirez"

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 150423
Insulation can also work in reverse. I had an Alaskan camper that had a very simple water system. Only cold water to the kitchen sink with a hand pump. At 0 the water line was freezing so I insulated it and could get by with even a lower temp. I was able to get down to -10 and lower but then it still froze. Now I had another problem the water line would not thaugh later in the day when the camper got warm. I had to remove the insulation so that the heat could once again get to the pipe. I had to find a new way to keep the water line from freezing. I did finally did win and got down to -40.

Yes we snowmobiled in this kind of temp.

George

Retired plumber

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 150449
Thank you to everyone who responded, via yahoo and via personal message.  We are definitely not going to get the insulation on the holding tanks.  We are about ready to order our Lazy Daze (YAY!) and will have a lot of time to read through past messages and files etc... to learn quite a bit more before we actually get our LD.

Rebecca in WA
2016 mid-bath
"Ramirez"