Skip to main content
Topic: Frig replacement cooling unit (Read 9 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Frig replacement cooling unit
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 150366
It's all about the Company or individual that does the  rehab on the cooling unit. Get some names of recent customers is my suggestion . I live in S. Ca and recently had my unit replaced. I'm impressed with this install. What area are you in. I can send U the info. Looked at the ads and usually a guy that will tackle most things, passed on the cooling install. That was more than I wanted to tackle . My replacement is working great. My replacement was on a 92 Dometic.

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 150367
"While aren't having a problem, yet this page caught my eye. What do you think of these aftermarket cooling units?"

Jim

If a relatively new refrigerator's cooling unit heads south, the cooling unit itself can be replaced for around 1/2 the price of a new one.
Before anyone does this, take a hard look at the refrigerator's overall condition, limiting the cooling unit's replacement to refrigerators that are less than 10 years old.
RV refrigerator's are made mostly of plastic that become brittle with age. Things like the door handles and hinges can fatigue and snap off. The interior pieces can do the same.
The seals, electronic controls and the burner assembly wear out.

It's up to you to determine if installing a new cooling unit, in an old refrigerator, reaches the point of diminishing returns.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 150370
As I indicated I am not currently having a problem with our unit. However, a friend with an 07 is.

Jack, the unit I pointed to is not a reman but an aftermarket new.

Larry, great points that I did not think of. Another point for me should my 06 fail soon is that I believe the newer complete frig that is a drop in managed to up the cubic foot capacity from 8cf to 9cf.

Jim C

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 150373
A few point to keep in mind.

I have seen the units for sale.
 I have 45 years in the plumbing industry and I do not think I would want to try the replacement and there are not many jobs I will not try. So first do you think you are can do the job.
 If you are thinking of getting the unit and have a shop/bussines install the unit they will charge you more for the install since they are not making money on the unit you want them to install. They will not stand behind the unit you supply. If there is a proplem you pick up the extra cost. If it does not work, start up as it is to it is your problem not there's. They only stand behind the labor not the material.

George

Retired Plumber

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 150374
If a relatively new refrigerator's cooling unit heads south, the  cooling unit itself can be replaced for around 1/2 the price of a new  one.
Before anyone does this, take a hard look at the refrigerator's overall  condition, limiting the cooling unit's replacement to refrigerators that are  less than 10 years old.
RV refrigerator's are made mostly of plastic that become brittle with  age. Things like the door handles and hinges can fatigue and snap off. The  interior pieces can do the same.
The seals, electronic controls and the burner assembly wear  out.

It's up to you to determine if installing a new cooling unit, in an old  refrigerator, reaches the point of diminishing returns.

Larry

I stand there with Larry. The first thing I look at is the age of the unit to be repaired. Here you have a frig that is xx?? years old. New cost 1000. repair parts 500 labor 300.   200 more and you have a new unit with xx years of warranty.
 Every thing has xx years of use. The new parts will be a strain on the old warn parts. Another repair cost down the line.

Last year I had a close washer that was 71/2 years old that went south. I did some easy testing and had no idea what the failed parts may be. Computer board, motor etc.
 Cost of labor and parts could be $500, 600+. I only payed $700 for the unit new. It cost minimum $100 to have the service man to knock on the door. It cost me $800 and I had a new unit. Which hopefully will last 10 or 15 years. Ha Ha today.

George

Retired Plumber

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 150380
Actually on the one I did the job was incredibly easy. Saved a lot of money and the replacement  cooling unit went in through the the door where a new refrigerator would have required tearing out a window or door frame to get the new one in. I was too stupid or uninformed to know it was supposed to be hard or not a good idea. Replacement cooled better than the Refrigerator did when new and had a better warranty. Glad I didn't over think the issue. Was in a trailer and not a motor home but the fridge didn't know this.