Skip to main content
Topic: Delivery time for new Lazy Daze (Read 19 times) previous topic - next topic
Delivery time for new Lazy Daze
Yahoo Message Number: 150283
I recently spoke with someone who is interested in a new LD. After speaking with a contact at the Mothership, he was told that the allocation for 2015 is sold and delivery date for a new LD would be March/April 2016.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Re: Delivery time for new Lazy Daze
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 150286
Wonder how many chassis make up the "allocation"?

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 150295
Yes, I was there 4 months ago and he told me the same thing. If I wanted a new one I'd have to wait until 2016.  I wasn't looking for a new one. I wanted to get an up front personal feel for for them. There were only two models put together at the time, RB and the MB. After looking around for some time now... well, it seems like for ever .. I know what Im looking for. The 27' RB or the RK. I'm guess'n Joan, they may make one a month. Maybe after the crsh in 2008 they don't want to have many left overs if and when it happens agin. Smart if thats the case...

JO

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 150296
I suspect it may be an issue of not being able to get chassis. True, Ford has started up a new production line but the RV industry has been booming and they may be hard pressed to keep up with demand. Companies like Winnebago crank out more in a day than LD does in a year so guess who pulls more weight with the factory!.  We ordered our 27MB on the fist of July 2014 with an anticipated delivery of late April or early May of this year. The chassis was supposed to be delivered about now however i have not checked with Todd to confirm receipt.

LD has a limited size crew, and if you need to add help to meet the demand, you really can't pull a newbie in from the street and expect them to immediately meet the standards expected.  My main concern, on a long term basis , is that Steve may not have anyone coming up through the ranks that can take over from him. Having worked many years for a family owned company, I have see that to be a major problem.

There is an opportunity there for the right person.

Ian,

2015 27 MB (I hope) Seattle
2015 MB

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 150297
..."My main concern, on a long term basis , is that Steve may not have anyone coming up through the ranks that can take over from him. Having worked many years for a family owned company, I have see that to be a major problem."...

I have heard this same concern expressed by a number of people who've  been watching the Mothership operations for a while.

Dan
2007 IB-30

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 150300
Yep I was the one Chris spoke with and he is exactly correct. Todd told  me March or April or maybe even May of 2016. After finding that out and  after the great conversation I had with Chris I am now in the hunt for a  good late model, used 26.5 or 31. Chris, the one in Grand Junction was  already gone by the time I called, but I'm not giving up, just having to  lower my expectations a little bit. If anybody hears of anything  available would you please let me know.
 I am also on the waiting  list at the mothership but can get off up until I have to pay my  deposit in March or April, a year out. And I thought the nine month wait  back it the mid 2000's was bad.

Jim

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 150302
Jim if you are looking for a used MH another brand that you can put on your list is BIG FOOT. When I was looking I had two MH that I wanted. The 24 foot LD or the 24 foot BIG FOOT. The Big Foot is as will built as the LD if not better. No Better. They are a 4 season camper not a short 3 season. They ARE BUILT to take 30 degree BELOW ZERO. A friend was up snowmobiling over the New Year for a week and they had sever days that were 40 degree below zero and no freeze up and that includes the 3 holding tanks. Water, Gray and Black.

George

Retired Plumber

Yep I was the one Chris spoke with and he is exactly correct. Todd told me March or April or maybe even May of 2016. After finding that out and after the great conversation I had with Chris I am now in the hunt for a good late model, used 26.5 or 31. Chris, the one in Grand Junction was already gone by the time I called, but I'm not giving up, just having to lower my expectations a little bit. If anybody hears of anything available would you please let me know.
 I am also on the waiting list at the mothership but can get off up until I have to pay my deposit in March or April, a year out. And I thought the nine month wait back it the mid 2000's was bad.

Jim

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 150304
"I can't believe this one's still up for grabs."

-----

Sara's 2013 is also listed in the "LDs for sale" folder in the Files section on this message board; potential buyers might want to check it out.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 150306
The problem with that particular unit is the lack of two sofas in the rear lounge area. I was excited when she first posted about  it (she didn't mention that it had those barrel chairs). Then I saw the photos... If the factory could/would replace those chairs with a sofa it would really help.

I think that rig would be great for a solo traveller but most couples that buy midbaths want the twin sofas, especially if they don't use the cabover for sleeping.

IMHO,  you've got to think about reselling when you order.

Steve K.
Steve K

2003 Mid-bath

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 150307
"Sara's 2013 is also listed in the "LDs for sale" folder in the Files section on this message board; potential buyers might want to check it out."

Joan

I recently check this rig out for Sara, it's in beautiful shape.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 150308
"Jim if you are looking for a used MH another brand that you can put on your list is BIG FOOT.

Big Foot does not manufacture RVs anymore, only building truck campers and trailers.
http://www.bigfootrv.com/index.html Their RVs were well built but suffered from excessive weight, due to the robust construction and insulation. They were also very expensive.
The company was out of business for a while, and when they returned, they had discontinued motorhome production.

A good friend bought one of their slide-in campers for his 3/4-ton Dodge pickup and had to sell the truck and buy a new 1-ton truck to handle the weight of the very heavy camper.
It was built like a tank and nearly weighed as much.
He ultimately sold it and bought a much lighter Lance camper.

Larry
Larry

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 150309
Steve,

It's more than the sofa, it's the outside door to the storage below the sofa.

Alex, SE #4 '05 MB

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 150310
"Big Foot is as will built as the LD if not better."

I have a friend with a 29' Bigfoot. While it has a few nice features for cold-weather camping, the overall quality is not up to Lazy Daze standards, in my estimation. Despite meticulous care, his mid-2000's rig is in significantly worse condition than a Lazy Daze of similar vintage. I'm not saying Bigfoot built bad rigs, but I wouldn't say they were as good as Lazy Dazes.

Andy Baird

Travels with Andy
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 150312
"I'm not saying Bigfoot built bad rigs, but I wouldn't say they were as good as Lazy Dazes."

The only RV I have seen built as good or better than an LD was an old Airstream my friend had. Not a trailer, it was a 27 ft. motorhome built on a very rugged chassis. He spent lots of time waxing the polished aluminum finish. It had cabinets inside built like a tank, and the plumbing was very stout. However it got 6 mpg and he got tired of feeding it. I have also seen a Silverstreak RV built very similar to the Airstream. Nice vintage rigs.

Bob

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 150313
Didn't Ford completely cancel the E-Series cutaway chassis product line?  It will take some time for ALL RV manufacturers, let alone a player as small as LD, to come up with a new design.

-Dave '06 MB, Indianapolis

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 150314
There is a fine line between ordering something that suits one's needs and thinking ahead to reselling your treasure.  Personally, I would hate to do without my two chairs and a table, whether the location is in front or in back, but that's MY preference.  If one tries to buy an expensive item like this with the next owner in mind . . . well, how would you do that?

I wouldn't want to spend a lot of money on an item that didn't suit my needs on the chance that I might want to sell it to someone who had different tastes.  What are the chances that the next owner might have my same predilection, rather than a diverse one?

One member here is looking for a rear kitchen, which would be totally unsuitable *for me*, so I would not be a good candidate for this floor plan, but she is.  So there you have it . . . How would you determine which "inappropriate for yourself" floor plan you should choose if thinking about resale?

Peculiar and irreversible modifications aside, it seems to me that one should enjoy one's toys to the fullest by choosing as appropriate a model as possible, and then decorating to please oneself.

Virtual hugs,

Judie http://dorrieanne.wordpress.com

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 150315
"It's more than the sofa, it's the outside door to the storage below the sofa."

---- Clarification, please?

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 150317
On an MB floor plan with two sofas, there are storage compartments below the sofas that are accessible via outside compartment doors.  If you have two chairs instead of one of the sofas, the chairs take up the floor space and there is no (above floor level) storage compartment and no need for the Mothership to put an outside door there.  If, as Steve suggested, the Mothership took out the chairs and put in a sofa, they would also need to add an outside compartment door.  Of course, they could change the design of the sofa so it lifts up to access the space below the sofa, but the existing design sofas don't work that way and require the outside compartment door.

Alex Rutchka, SE #4 '05 MB

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 150318
"Didn't Ford completely cancel the E-Series cutaway chassis product line?'

Dave

I don't believe so. Ford does not have a replacement chassis and has put the E450's development in stasis, not developing it anymore, just producing the same model over and  over, with no changes. Why not, it's in demand and a pure profit center for them, with zero development cost. They have a captive market.
Same goes for the bigger F53 chassis, used in Class As. The engines used in both the E450 and F53 are the obsolete V10, with the F53 getting the much more powerful and fuel efficient 3-valve head V10 engine (the one that the E450 should have too).

Ultimately, Ford does not want to build vehicles for just the North American market, preferring to build 'world cars'.
Unfortunately, most Americans do not like the narrow, Euro-style RVs, self included.
If Ford does not step up  with a  new chassis, you can bet someone will eventually.
There is a growing, not decreasing, demand for a  better, more fuel efficient Class C chassis. With today's better engines and overall technology, there is no reason why this can't be done.

Larry
Larry

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 150321
I believe 2008 was the last year Big Foot made motorhomes. A year ago, we looked a 2008 24 foot unit with only 3000 miles on it (strange story on that one) that was very impressive, but the dealer was firm on the $92,000 price - more than a 2014 LD. We ultimately bought a 2005 Greyhawk with identical floor plan floor and 9000 miles for $37,000, and will use the $55,000 "savings" for travel and insulation on the tanks.

Eric Greenwell
  [lifewithalazydazerv] wrote on 1/12/2015 11:53 PM:
2005 Jayco 24SS

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 150323
IMO, the Bigfoot does not compare favorably with the LD in several important areas. On the upside, it appears to be well insulated and perhaps more suitable for really cold climes.

A friend has an '05 BF, about the same length as my '05 MB. The tanks are mostly behind the rear axle, so when loaded wet, it's get light on the steering and wanders. Could that with the extra height and road manners are nothing like my LD (which has stock steering components). On one camping trip the girls rode in the BF and he came over to drive the LD - - a vast improvement in handling.

The floor plan, at least on his BF w/slide, doesn't appear to be well thought out. When you fold out the couch to make the bed, it pretty much blocks convenient movement fore and aft. The couch/bed is nowhere near as comfortable as the giant king in the LD (subjective of course). He has had numerous problems with the couch folding mechanism.

Is the BF worth considering? Sure, just recognize is ain't gonna be no LD.

bumper
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 150346
an  old Airstream my friend had. Not a trailer, it was a 27 ft. motorhome  built on a very rugged chassis. He spent lots of time waxing the  polished aluminum finish. It had cabinets inside built like a tank, and  the plumbing was very stout. However it got 6 mpg and he got tired of  feeding it. I have also seen a Silverstreak RV built very similar to the  Airstream. Nice vintage rigs.

Bob

30 years ago we stopped in a camp ground with 2 campers on SR50 outside Pueblo for a night stay. It was late in the season so things were slow. We got to talking the the owner; it was a small campground. I do not recall how the subject came up but he told us he will not allow a Airstream in; he turns them away. "Sorry we are booked full". "They are the BIGGEST snobs. They want ever thing there way and NOW. "I own this campground and I'm not having someone in an Airstream tell me how to run the place."
 Every year when we go to the camper show we make it a point to walk through the Airstreams. It is at the the VERY BOTTOM of our list for campers to own. LD and Big Foot are at the top. Half million $$ MH are out of my range so they are not on the list.

George

Retired plumber

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 150356
"IMHO,  you've got to think about reselling when you order."
 To a degree, perhaps. However, most folks keep their LDs for a while, and considering this is a major  investment for their RVing pleasure, why shouldn't they buy exactly what floats their boats? Someone will buy that MB and make it work for them.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB