Skip to main content
Topic: Foggy windows (Read 27 times) previous topic - next topic
Foggy windows
Yahoo Message Number: 150243
An advantage of having a 2003 or newer LD are the better insulated dual-pane windows, that is until the start leaking and develop a haze or fogginess.
Once the seal has broken, thermal and air pressure changes pump air in and out of the space between the panes, leaving moisture and a mineral build up behind.
Our LD has developed a couple of foggy windows over the last few years, it's a very gradual thing.

Last week we spent a couple days at Quartzsite, wandering around the various shopping venues. One thing that caught my attention were the 'foggy window' repair booths.
I talked with a man who runs a glass shop in SoCal. They pull the foggy window, remove the foggy dual pane glass and split it apart. Next they clean and polish the glass and then reassemble the panes with new rubber and then inject it with an inert gas.
The shop has an onsite trailer with the needed equipment to do windows at Quartzsite as well at their regular location.

Has anyone here had this done? It's not cheap at $250 a window but still should be cheaper than new glass. I wonder if a Factory window would be better sealed or if a local shop can match it in durability? The vendor also was aware that LDs use Hehr windows with a special tint.
Anyone who has had a glass window replaced willing to tell how much the new glass, with the correct tint, cost?  Trying to make a prudent decision on this, new glass vs. reasealing.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Re: Foggy windows
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 150244
Yes to the reality of fogged windows if you ever drive down bumpy roads. Seals crack, and if you are in Florida I can highly recommend Sun Coast Designers in Hudson, near the Gulf to the north of Tampa. They have redone our '06 LD's large rear window last year, and just a week ago our sliding dinette pair of windows. They have about 20 full service camp sites and a very talented staff. For more info on the process and reservation system go to www.foggyrvwindows.com.
Be prepared to be surrounded by the really big rigs, yet with a toad you are only a few miles from lots of neat places to view and explore.  jack

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 150245
"Anyone who has had a glass window replaced willing to tell how much the new glass, with the correct tint, cost?  "

Larry, I also have a 2003, a Twin-King.  In 2011 I had the factory replace one cab over window.  The cost was approximately $300. My Lazy Daze is at the factory now and I'm having the large back window replaced because it, too, became foggy.  I just looked at my estimate and they didn't break down the price for the window.  They just gave me one price which included a number of other repairs.  But, if I recall, I think they said it was around $1,000.  You may want to call them to get an exact cost.

Monica
Monica
2017 MB

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 150247
The factory replaced our huge rear window (31' TB) in October for $1000. After living with the fogged side pane for 4+ years, it was easily worth it.
Linda

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 150253
I have an '02 and missed the dual pane windows. Isn't there some recourse here, even though they are probably out of warranty? Shouldn't Hehr be contacted? Seems like a company that large would make a fog-free product or at least provide a longer warranty.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 150255
"Shouldn't Hehr be contacted?" ---- I doubt that the company would be responsive, particularly if the foggy window is in an "older" motorhome. This page is Hehr's warranty on its windows and doors; note that "problems with condensation" are not covered, even in the 12-month warranty period:

http://www.hehrintl.com/pdf/HEHR%20WINDOW%20WARRANTY.pdf

The rear window in my 2003 TK is partially hazed; annoying and not attractive, but it may be more hassle and expense than it's worth to replace it. Action still under consideration...... ;-)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 150256
My SOB came without dual pane windows, but I achieved the same effect by mounting an interior storm window that fit on the window frame. The storm windows made a huge difference in comfort and propane consumption in cold weather, so that we are comfortable at the couch and dinette in 5 to 10 degree weather. Prior to that, even 35 degrees was not comfortable. They can fog up a bit overnight, but that goes away in the morning when we warm up the coach, and the panels can be removed for cleaning when it's needed (every other year, for us).
 The storm windows were cut from acrylic sheet (Plexiglass is one brand name) 0.090" thick, and held on the frame with little clips under the screws holding the frame to the coach. A glass shop cut the plastic for about $5; the clips were easily bent from 1/16" copper coated welding rod. I used a single sheet per window, which keeps the windows with sliding panes from being opened. That's fine with us, as we manage our airflow with the roof vents, cab door windows, and the Recair (aka "Turbokool") cooler.
 If a foggy dual pane window can be replaced cheaply by a single pane window, this method might be an acceptable alternative to fixing/replacing dual pane units that might fail again.

Eric Greenwell

[lifewithalazydazerv] wrote on 1/10/2015 2:04 PM:
2005 Jayco 24SS

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 150260
Lord have mercy *:(( crying.. I thought 250 $ a window was expensive but 1,000 $ a window is when I fainted .. *:)) laughing 250 $ seems like a good price now..

Jo