Skip to main content
Topic: GPS for Q Camp (Read 8 times) previous topic - next topic
GPS for Q Camp
Yahoo Message Number: 150230
Here is GPS as I read them on my Garmin.  There are 3 different formats.  Please be sure you are set to this format.  You should be able to see BLM road 32 on the map that comes up.  For further information go to the Lazy Daze Quartzsite Yahoo Board.  My link doesn't work anymore so just Google it.

N33.38.738 W114.13.204

Re: GPS for Q Camp
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 150235
Roger's LD Paradise is located in the Las Posa West Long Term Visitor Area.

In Quartzsite, exit I-10 at Route 95 and head south, through all of the tents, RV lots and exhibits, it's about 1 mile to the Las Posa West entry station, located on the right (west) side of the road.
Buy your 14-day permit here. $40  Hours 9-4. Water and dump available.
Gas, propane, food and just about anything else you need can be bought in town..

Continue past the entry booth a few hundred feet and bear left at T-intersection (right road goes to the trash bins).
The blacktop will turn to a graded gravel road, becoming the "Old Yuma Road". Continue south about 1/2 mile or so.
On the left side of the road will be a plastic BLM road marker, with the number "532" printed on it. Turn left slowly on to the side road 532.
Off to the left, about 600' away, your will see the LD encampment, along with other groups of RVs.
Enter slowly and find a spot. You may want to pull off the road and walk in, to scout out a good site before driving all the way in. Unhooking the toad at this time is a good idea too.
Have Fun!

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 150270
Larry how close have I come to the LD area for camp site. I placed a flag on the map. I get the  feeling that you camp (park) where you wish. There are no assigned camp  areas.
 Can you ride ATV in the area and can you ride them into  the town of Quarts site? Do you see people riding ATV's in town and to  the flea market?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/27491195@N03/16068408410/

George

Retired Plumber

Roger's LD Paradise is located in the Las Posa West Long Term Visitor Area.

In  Quartzsite, exit I-10 at Route 95 and head south, through all of the  tents, RV lots and exhibits, it's about 1 mile to the Las Posa West  entry station, located on the right (west) side of the road.
Buy your 14-day permit here. $40  Hours 9-4. Water and dump available.
Gas, propane, food and just about anything else you need can be bought in town..

Continue past the entry booth a few hundred feet and bear left at T-intersection (right road goes to the trash bins).
The blacktop will turn to a graded gravel road, becoming the "Old Yuma Road". Continue south about 1/2 mile or so.
On  the left side of the road will be a plastic BLM road marker, with the  number "532" printed on it. Turn left slowly on to the side road 532.
Off to the left, about 600' away, your will see the LD encampment, along with other groups of RVs.
Enter  slowly and find a spot. You may want to pull off the road and walk in,  to scout out a good site before driving all the way in. Unhooking the  toad at this time is a good idea too.
Have Fun!

Larry

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 150271
I have a few comments that might help. If you are at the site near mile marker 532 La Posa West there are no designated campsites in the area. This is desert camping and you stay where you want.

I have done lots of off-roading in my Jeep Toad there. Hills, abandoned mines, and trails that go on for miles.
Motorcycles and Quads are everywhere in town. You can ride a dirt bike with no lights thru the streets and not get hassled. The police are too busy to worry about that. The "Q" is the wild, wild, west of RV camping. Don't plan on getting a lot of sleep.

Bob 01 23.5 TK

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 150272
" 'Q' is the wild, wild, west of RV camping."

Very true. I was there once, ten years ago. My Honda generator was stolen the first day. I haven't had much urge to return.

Andy Baird

Travels with Andy
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 150276
I can under stand Andy's reason for not wanting to go back again. I would feel the same way.
 Just how bad is the problem?  Was Andy camped alone. Is there a problem with leaving your things out at night or when you are away from the camp site. To; there is usually more safety when camped in a group.

What do others have to say about this problem at Q.

George

Retired Plumber

" 'Q' is the wild, wild, west of RV camping."

Very true. I was there once, ten years ago. My Honda generator was stolen the first day. I haven't had much urge to return.

Andy Baird Travels with Andy

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 150284
"What do others have to say about this problem at Q

George
 I would say thief is a real problem, especially if you do not camp in a tight group.
There are thousands of RVs parked in the desert, ranging from million dollar beauties to $100 derelicts. Lots of potential for the criminal mind.
We spent three nights at Q , inside the BLM long-tern camping area, and NEVER saw any law enforcement or rangers patrol the area. We checked Roger's area but we were the first to arrive. Seeing that staying there would required parking between two derelict RVs, we found another place for the first night, the next day other LDs started showing up.

Two days of exploring Q was enough for us. Lot for the rock hounds to do and most of the other shopping was just the same stuff you see for sale at other craft shows and flea markets.
I was not impressed with either the  tool or RV accessory booths, mostly a bunch of junk.
Hopefully, when the RV show is in session, there would be more to look at.
For us, the only reason we would return would be to hang out with friends.
I know many better places to camp where we can enjoy the desert's beauty, quiet, clean air and solitude, very little of which is present at Q.
You go to Q to party with your friends, reminding me of a senior version of spring break, minus the wet t-shirt contests.

Larry
Larry

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 150285
I agree that theft is a problem at the "Q". Last year when checking in the Rangers told me "they got a generator last night" so Andy's experience hasn't gone away. If you camp with Rogers group in a wagon train arrangement you should be safe. There is strength in numbers. If your into partying with a group the "Q" is a great place.

As far as shopping goes nothing really outstanding until the Big Tent goes up. But the crowds there will drive many away including me.

Many folks go to Yuma after tiring from the above. There is a nice RV park there that accepts Passport America discounts. Overall just a lot more mello atmosphere. Then over to SoCal and enjoy the great weather.
Some good camping around the Borrego Desert area. If you like the ocean check out Mission Bay (San Diego) area and La Jolla.http://www.lajollabythesea.com/la-jolla-cove. I was born there and got spoiled from the great weather and surfing.

Bob

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 150287
"I know many better places to camp where we can enjoy the desert's beauty, quiet, clean air and solitude, very little of which is present at Q."

----- Amen. The Quartzsite experience obviously works for thousands of RVers, but, like a whole lot of other things, a visit to "Q" is definitely a YMMV issue!

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 150298
Larry:Loved your critique of Q.Our sentiments exactly. Passed through twice, spent two nights the first time after picking up our new AE 30IB in February of '07 and one the second (needed to get off the road).It is a marvel.I've never seen so many RVs in one place with the assortment running from top line Prevost to home made pick-up sliders and everything in-between. What a riot!Not my cup of tea so to speak.

Like you we believe that there are many other locations in Arizona, New Mexico, and Utah where we would prefer to spend our time.

Hope I don't stir up a hornets nest!

Cheers, Bob in Florida

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 150301
Loved your critique of Q.Our sentiments exactly.
Hope I don't stir up a hornet's nest"

Bob

The beauty of RVing is there are many styles of camping, enough to keep most of us happy.
Quartzsite has everything you need for long term boondocking and, when camped with your 'pack', it offers plenty of socializing. The weather in Q is mild most of the winter and it offers low cost camping for those escaping the frigid northern climates.

We may have checked Quartzsite off the bucket list but many show up again, every winter. Enjoy the freedom to go where you please.

Larry
Larry

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 150311
"Just how bad is the problem? Was Andy camped alone. Is there a problem with leaving your things out at night or when you are away from the camp site."

I was camped about 15 feet away from a friend's Lazy Daze, and was actually in his rig chatting when the generator was stolen, just after dark. (There were other RVs in the vicinity, too.) The generator was chained to my rig, but not running. Bolt cutters made fast work of that chain.

I later heard from a campground host that thirty generators were stolen that season in that particular campground (Hi Jolly, as I recall). I have no idea whether this was typical, and I don't want to scare anybody off based on my experience... but I definitely would not leave anything I cared about unattended outside my rig at Quartzsite. There are too many down-and-outers there, and little or no law enforcement.

Andy Baird

Travels with Andy
Andy Baird

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 150319
"I definitely would not leave anything I cared about unattended outside my rig at Quartzsite." ---- With very few exceptions, I don't leave any item of value outside, unattended, or even visible in the cab when I'm camped *anywhere*. There's just too much chance of having one's stuff "liberated" by fast-moving, opportunistic, "see it, grab it" thieves. A few of my items have been subject to the "re-distribution process" over the years; fortunately, none were expensive, but I learned a long time ago not to trust to chance and the innate honesty of the human race - (almost) anywhere! It can be a hassle to lock stuff up when one is away from the rig, but I prefer to not present an "easy pickins" target for some miscreant!

As ever, YMMV.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 150320
Ive been where there have been think stolen. BUT NOT ANY THING THAT BAD. When there are people around and other campers and they do not care about getting caught. Nothing is save in a place like that. Not even you.

What good does it do to lock the camper? ? ? ? ?

George

Retired plumber

"Just  how bad is the problem? Was Andy camped alone. Is there a problem with  leaving your things out at night or when you are away from the camp  site."

I  was camped about 15 feet away from a friend's Lazy Daze, and was  actually in his rig chatting when the generator was stolen, just after  dark. (There were other RVs in the vicinity, too.) The generator was  chained to my rig, but not running. Bolt cutters made fast work of that  chain.

I  later heard from a campground host that thirty generators were stolen  that season in that particular campground (Hi Jolly, as I recall). I  have no idea whether this was typical, and I don't want to scare anybody  off based on my experience... but I definitely would not  leave anything I cared about unattended outside my rig at Quartzsite.  There are too many down-and-outers there, and little or no law  enforcement.

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 150322
What good does it do to lock the camper? ? ? ? ?

---- Not much will deter a *determined* thief, but, although certainly not foolproof, in my experience, your chances of keeping your stuff is increased when it's locked up and/or out of sight. Easily portable stuff like unattended chairs, barbecues, cooking equipment,  tools, small tables, "Safety Steps", pets (yes), etc. can walk away in a heartbeat without notice, in the daylight and/or at night, and the larger the numbers of "random" people camping in the general vicinity, the more chances there are for having stuff ripped off. I think that RVers are generally a trusting lot, and may often tend to be less than cautious about leaving their campsite/items unattended because they want to believe the best about human nature in general and their fellow campers in particular. I suggest that a bit of cynicism might be in order, but, as ever, YMMV. ;-)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Re: GPS for Q Camp, NOW theft of items at Q
Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 150330
Andy cautions about leaving things outside the rig while at Quartzite.  But, given that the outside compartments on virtually all of our rigs are accessible by the same common key, is anything safe?  -- Jon ('06TK "Albatross")
(Former) ‘06 TK “Albatross.” And (former) Vespa 250.   Alas, no more; both are gone.😕 Great memories remain! 😄

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 150333
"given that the outside compartments on virtually all of our rigs are accessible by the same common key, is anything safe?"

Joan put it well in message #150322. No RV can be made invulnerable to a determined thief... but leaving your possessions out in the open where any casual passerby can walk off with them is asking for trouble.

Of course, the level of risk depends upon the situation. In a gated commercial campground, theft is very unlikely. In a state park, it can happen, but in ten years, I've heard of very, very few cases. At Quartzsite or the Slabs, on the other hand, it's reportedly not uncommon.

The way I figure it, it's never a good thing to be be very obviously the most well-to-do person in a given locale. When I was driving my beloved but badly faded 1985 LD, "Gertie," I used to say that it wasn't a bad thing for it to look as if there was nothing worth stealing inside. Now that I'm in a shiny (repainted) midbath, I'm more cautious, and I don't put temptation out on display if I can help it.

Andy Baird

Travels with Andy
Andy Baird

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 150334
I have camped at Quartzite several times over the years.

But I have grown tired of the crowds that make doing even simple things like going to the Laundrymat a chore.
As others mentioned lots of better camping options in the Southwest. I usually camp at BLM or Forest Service parks with little to no costs and lots of solitude. Never had anything stolen there.

Death Valley a cool place to camp this time of year. Scotty's castle is worth seeing and taking the tour. Make sure to gas up and get supplies if venturing there. Also take plenty of water and a weather radio. Conditions can change quickly and high winds are a given. Off roading activities are plentiful if that's your thing.

America is a beautiful country with lots of fascinating sites to see. We are lucky.

Bob

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 150337
camped 5 straight years here Quartzsite with our group with lots of stuff left outside not one single item is ever been stolen

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 150361
I have a great Idea to detour thiefs. Buy a Hug dog bowl and put it outside your rig. Then buy a plaque that reads "I Love Pit Bulls". You can also have another Plaque that reads "Member of the NRA". You can use these Items everytime you camp if you feel something will be stole'n..

JO *:) happy

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 150369
"Buy a Hug dog bowl and put it outside your rig. Then buy a plaque that reads 'I Love Pit Bulls.' "

If you look at the Eureka article on safety, you'll find an "International Doberman Trainers Association" sticker in printable PDF form. :-)

Andy Baird

Travels with Andy
Andy Baird

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 150371
I have a great Idea to detour thiefs. Buy a  Hug dog bowl and put it outside your rig. Then buy a plaque that reads "I Love  Pit Bulls". You can also have another Plaque that reads "Member of the NRA". You  can use these Items everytime you camp if you feel something will be  stole'n..

JO *:) happy

Never advertise about guns. NRA sticker; gun range you belong, etc
 It tells them that there are guns in the house, car or MH. They come to your door to ask an insistent question. If you do not answer they invite there self in.
 My sisters-in-law on her days off would not answer the door; she did not want to be bother by some one. One morning there was a knock at the front door. She was in the upstairs bed room and did not want to be bothered and did not go to the door. A few minutes later she heard a noise at the back door. Two young men were there trying to force the door open with large screw drivers.

Remember it is better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6.

George

Retired Plumber

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 150375
Pretty kool Andy. The reason I mentioned a Plaque, it isn't permanent. It's just for places you want to detour thieves. Also I thought a permeant sticker would attract attention to safe RV camp grounds think'n I had a Pit Bull or a gun and may not want me to camp there.. lol .. But that Printable form is a good idea where you could make your own Plaque..

JO

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 150376
I have to laugh Geroge.. sorry. If two young men were try'n to get into a house with "Screw Drivers" and there was a sign that read member of "The NRA" then they must have been "drink'n too many screw drivers" *;) winking

JO