Skip to main content
Topic: Skylight for 2001 Midbath (Read 25 times) previous topic - next topic
Skylight for 2001 Midbath
Yahoo Message Number: 150221
I am in need to replace my skylight in the bathroom. From the top it appears to be curb-mounted. From observing the sealant inside the bathroom I am wondering if this is a one-piece unit or two-piece unit skylight. I assume that it is a one piece-unit. However, I can not find any rivits or evidence that it is a one-piece unit.
In addition I am not certain if it is a single or double-dome.. I think it is a single-dome.
Question: Did anybody replace one of these skylights in the past? Just in case it is a one piece-unit, are there just curb-mounted domes available, so I do not have to do any tearing out inside?

Aad Rommelse
2001 MB

Re: Skylight for 2001 Midbath
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 150222
I replaced the skylight on our '02MB a few years back.  That was a single piece that wrapped around the metal frame and was secured by screws from the outside into the metal frame.  I believe that Steve Newton had issue with the supplier and that the plastic degraded quickly, so he found a local shop to make new skylight cover for the factory.  The last time we stopped by the factory in our rig, Steve wanted to replace our skylight, by we declined.  I'm not familiar with the new covers.

Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 150225
"I am in need to replace my skylight in the bathroom.

Aad

Give the Mothership a call. They have a new, improved replacement skylight that is easy to install and should last much longer than the original.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 150227
Aad:  We had The Mothership replace the skylight 11 months ago.  I don't recall the cost, but the item is a significant upgrade from the original in our 2006 MB (delivered 3/07).  We had it done for preventative maintenance (we had no issues with the original, but felt it would be smart to be ahead of the disaster curve) and barring an unforeseen mishap, we feel this will last for a very long time.

I'm sure you can pick one up at The Mothership if you wish to install it yourself.  Shipping might be costly due to its size and weight.  Be in touch with them.

TinaP 2006 MB "Wild Thing" Escapee from the Maine winter

Question: Did anybody replace one of these skylights in the past? Just in case it is a one piece-unit, are there just curb-mounted domes available, so I do not have to do any tearing out inside?

Aad Rommelse
2006 MB

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 150232
"I believe that Steve Newton had issue with the supplier and that the plastic degraded quickly, so he found a local shop to make new skylight cover for the factory. The last time we stopped by the factory in our rig, Steve wanted to replace our skylight, by we declined. I'm not familiar with the new covers."

I can confirm the above. I had a new skylight cover installed in my 2003 midbath in the spring of 2014, and the new cover is of excellent quality--much better than the old one. And yes, Steve now has them made by a local supplier from a thicker and much more UV-resistant plastic. Aad, call the factory--that's your best source for a new cover.

Andy Baird

Travels with Andy
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 150238
Thanks Andy, Larry and others for your replies to my questions about the skylight over the 2001 mid-bath. Especially from Andy's response I understand that the the dome section-only is available. Yes, I could have called Steve Newton with my questions. However, I like to research my topics first so I do not have to tie up Steve's time with questions when I do not quite know what I need. Let's face it, they are in business to make money. Just my personal feeling.

Aad
2001 MB