Skip to main content
Topic: Driving around town in a 30 foot RV? (Read 33 times) previous topic - next topic
Driving around town in a 30 foot RV?
Yahoo Message Number: 150132
HI, folks,
 We are hoping to buy a used Lazy Daze 30 foot. We are planning a 3-month trip to the U.S. Southeast and to the Canadian maritime provinces. We will not be towing a second vehicle.
 As soon-to-be first-time RV owners, one concern we have is about getting around small towns in a 30-foot Class C. Will we be sorry we don't have a shorter RV when it's time to go to the bank, the PO or the grocery store, etc.?
 I've tried finding information about this on the web, but most discussions are confined to parking in RV campgrounds, not in parking on or near Main Street, Smalltown USA (or CA).

Can you offer us any advice from your experience?

Thanks!

Doug Lipman Pam McGrath Marshfield, MA

Re: Driving around town in a 30 foot RV?
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 150133
We travelled for a good number of years in the 27' model but with a 3' cargo carrier on the rear, making it 30' overall. No tow car.

It's very doable as long as someone is capable of walking a few blocks.
Grocery stores have never been a problem because they almost always have a large parking lot. The Post Office is almost always a problem because their lots are designed for cars. Ditto for most restaurants, offices, etc.
The key to RV parking is to get off the main drag by a block or so then look for a corner parking spot where you can't be blocked in. Fire hydrants, bus stops, no parking past this sign; that sort of spot. We have been to the French Quarter in NOLO, the Pike Place market in Seattle, etc., as long as you plan visits to the core of a city, it's rarely a problem.  Sometime I us Google Earth to find potential big city parking areas.
I look at it this way. If a city bus, garbage truck, 70' long semi, etc., can do it so can I.

Enjoy your trip and don't worry about getting around in your LD.

Granted a tow car can make life easier, but it's not an indespensable part of your travels.

Ed

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 150134
Noticed the Maritine Provinces comment.
We were there a few years back. Even Halifax had RV parking near the major tourist areas like the old fort, the waterfront, etc. We found the Provinces especially easy to get around.  PEI was a piece of cake. Canada is a wonderful place to visit. You'll like it.

One more big city tip. Go downtown very early to beat the rush hour traffic and snag a really good corner parking place. We would rise early, head downtown, park, have a leisurly breakfast, or perhaps "discover" a neat locals breakfast place, then make a day of it.  Sneak in an afternoon nap then head out of town either before or after rush hour.

Enjoy.

Ed

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 150139
Doug and Pam,

We agree with the other commenters.  You will not be disadvantaged by the extra 3 feet.  You will quickly learn to plan ahead.

The one thing I would like to tell you about in advance is to always be mindful of your tail swing in the 30.  When you first begin driving you will probably carry over driving habits that apply to an automobile.  You cannot drive away from a gas pump as you would in a car.  You must drive forward far enough to clear the rear of the pump before you begin your turn away in the opposite direction of the pumps you are departing.  Along with this comes the planning in eyeing the gas pump you are about to pull into to make sure you have enough room to pull forward before turning away from the pumps.  This also applies to any parking situation where you have trees, poles, other cars, (whatever) on either side of the rig.  Violators are usually punished with damage and embarrassment.

You will enjoy your Lazy Daze 30 and a toad is not necessary to get maximum enjoyment.

Dan and Lynn 2007 IB-30
2007 IB-30

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 150141
I've been pondering the same thing, and started "practicing" for the time I'd have to drive in tighter quarters. It only took me three or four times to back easily into the narrow (to me) driveway where I park, after practicing a bit in a local field. I've been practicing tight turns too, before I have to maneuver around a gas pump. Gets easier with time and I've found the 30 footer to be very easy and comfortable to drive, although the biggest thing I'd regularly driven before was a full-size van.

Pat 30" The Pearl
The Pearl - 2000 31'
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most."

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 150142
For what it's worth, we've been driving a 30/31 footer for many years and I agree with one key point, watch out for hitting "stuff" with your rear end when making turns.  Also, we tow a Honda CRV and find the problems with towing (hookup, etc) are minor when compared with the benefits.   You can now stop in an RV park or any convenient spot away from the center of town and have a car to run around all you want.   Once you start this it's hard not to wonder what took you so long!    Gale 08 IB
G N Wilson
2008 Mid-Bath

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 150143
"We are planning a 3-month trip to the U.S. Southeast and to the Canadian maritime provinces." ----- My LD is a 24' and I don't tow. I've learned to live within the limitations of "no car" travel in this rig (and in two previous RVs) in the past + - 25 years/180,000 miles through the U.S. and western Canada, but there were quite a few times in many of those places when I wasn't able to go where I wanted to, even in a small rig, mainly because the road or "navigable access" to the location wasn't doable or there was no place to park the rig when I got to wherever. I either base-camped for a few days, rented a car, and "blitzed" the local area, went "shanks mare" if it was possible (e.g., park on the side of the road and hike uphill on an overgrown, "snaky" dirt goat track to an old cemetery to look for one's deadfolks), or figured the hassle outweighed the value of the attraction!

If you plan 3 months doing the Maritimes and the "U.S. Southeast" (I don't know just where you plan to go/see/do in the south) yours is a "going and doing, on the move a lot" type of trip; this is a lot of territory to cover in a fairly short time. *Of course* you can make this trip in a 30' without a toad, but I suggest that seeing and doing what you want to will require plenty of planning - and flexibility! - and consideration of alternate "transportation" from time to time, e.g., renting a car or taking a local tour or hitching a ride in a fellow traveler's car to an attraction or venue.

As always, YMMV.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 150144
We've also maneuvered in downtown areas in our 27 footer with success.  A little prior planning, be willing to park a block or two off main streets and asking locals for suggestions have worked for us. As a general rule we found that church parking lots tend to have availability on weekdays and school parking lots are unoccupied on weekends.

The Northeast Lazy Daze Caravan Club, which is made up owners mostly located from Maine to Virginia, can be helpful if you wish to contact owners directly to answer your questions or to see rigs in person or if you do buy an LD, to hook-up with some nice folks.  In fact we have members located in Massachusetts and we have a separate website here on Yahoo.

Wes Trunko
NELD 58

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 150145
Doug: I read Ed's response and agree it can be done. We do tow; however as we like the convenience of setting up the LD for a few days in a campground and then using our tow to tour the local areas be they National Parks or other beautiful areas such as the Canadian Maritimes.

We currently have an '06 30IB AE that we considered "the last hooray" owing to the dent in savings!  {:>) We traveled in a '99 RB for three years before moving to the '30 IB.

Don't worry about traveling the secondary roads.  We try to stay off the interstates as much as possible.  As an example we ran the Pacific Coast Highway from Washington State to San Diego towing.  So without a tow vehicle, you will have no problem.

It is a personal preference on the tow vehicle.  We would not want to be without one but we met up with Ed and Carol all over the country and they were having just as much fun as we were having!

Bo m
Kathy and Bob on the Go

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 150147
Thank you so much, Ed!
 This is very helpful. We never would have thought of the "unblocked corner" idea on our own, but it makes all the sense in the world.

Doug

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 150149
Dear Dan and Lynn,
 This is very helpful! It makes perfect sense, and I'm glad to learn it from words rather than from unfortunate experience!

Doug

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 150150
Thanks, Pat! Your post is quite helpful!
 The idea of practicing in a field sounds great. I'll be flying to Florida to pick up our LD and will need to drive it back solo. Now I know enough to schedule in some off-road practice time.

Doug

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 150151
Thanks, Joan! I so appreciate hearing your perspective on this.
 By the way, our "southern loop" will take us to Nashville and Atlanta to visit relatives, then to North Carolina up the Blueridge Parkway to Virginia. We want to travel the "Crooked Road" traditional music route in southwestern Virginia. Then we'll head to New Jersey for a week of courses and finally back to Massachusetts for "restocking."

Doug

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 150152
If the Crooked Road (traditional mountain music!) is of interest, I think you'd also enjoy the Museum of Appalachia in Norris, TN ; the attraction is a few miles northwest of Knoxville, and well worth a visit if you can work it into your chosen route.

http://museumofappalachia.org/

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 150160
I agree with Joan.  If you are going to do the Maritimes and your southern route both in 3 months IMHO you will really have to hustle or skip a lot of things.
 Summer of 2010 we spent 10 weeks in just in New Brunswick. PEI, and Nova Scotia.  Never did get to Newfoundland.  We repeated most of the trip in 2011 with friends.  (in addition it took us about 2 weeks more going from CA  to ME and back.)  We didn't see everything.  Be aware that in the Maritimes the "summer season" does not start  until about June 15.  If you are there earlier you may find that things are not open; including campgrounds.  A trip to Newfoundland is still  on our list.
 A year ago we did the Blueridge Parkway (or at least parts of it) and the Crooked Road.  We spent about 8 weeks and never went further south than VA.
Joan mentioned the Appalachian Museum;  a very interesting place.  Another thing that is worthwhile is the musical production "On the Trail of the Lonesome Pine" done by the residents of Big Stone Gap, VA.  As I recall RV campgrounds along the Crooked Road were few.  However, we tow so park in one place and do day trips.

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 150162
More advice.  {:>)

We spent two months in the Canadian Maritimes and could have used more time. We only did the New Brunswick area along Fundy Coast. We spent a month circumnavigating Nova Scotia and could have easily used another week. Cape Breton Highlands easily takes two weeks. We spent two weeks on PEI and would love to have had at least another week or two. PEI and Nova Scotia are drop dead beautiful as are the people who welcomed us at every opportunity.
 As to the Blue Ridge and Shenandoah Parkways, a beautiful trip if you take your time. We have done it several times and will do so in all probability again in 2015 enroute to Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine. There are days when we were lucky to get in a hundred miles. We generally stay a day (two nights) or two (three nights) in various areas depending on what there is to see and do. There are tons of pull outs to enjoy the view, let those in a hurry get around you, and nice places for lunch, a snack, etc.
 Your two-month plan will allow you to check off various places but not enable you to truly enjoy. We generally spend one year on the east coast and the next going west. Don't hurry, slow down and do not try to do too much on one adventure!Remember getting there should be just as enjoyable as being there.

Bob in Florida SE 5, 30 IB AE

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 150219
See  if you can find a place to borrow a few traffic cones for your first field practices.  I found them helpful on  the backend swing-out.

joel

14 31IB/ 11 CRV towd

Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 150236
Narrow streets in busy metro area's can be a little sketchy, driving and parking. In a Lazy Daze, you don't have to be in a hurry. Take it easy, it will be fine. The biggest lesson I had to learn was being mindful of street to parking lot transitions, entrance and exits. Curb heights and inclines vary greatly. The low stance of our 30', Dazy Mae, coupled with the extended length will tend to drag the tail. The longer wheel base of the 30' can also "high side" your rig in these transitions. I have hydraulic levelers whose fore feet are a bit lower than the underbelly. Overall, it won't take very long for you to feel comfortable and confident driving and parking your Lazy Daze. Congratulations and safe travels. Have fun!

Rick

Driving around town in a 30 foot RV?
Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 150136
I had a 27 foot LD for 13 years but I got tired of pulling the couch out and space was tight.  Now we have the 30 foot-  it is not as manueverable, BUT the comfort is so much better(for two people that is)that I would never go back to the 27 foot.   We love the the bedroom in our 30 foot--it is soooo comfortable. david 2005 IB LD