Skip to main content
Topic: OEM Furnace (Read 36 times) previous topic - next topic
Re: OEM Furnace
Reply #50
Yahoo Message Number: 150122
I'm retired now but my business was Plumbing and Heating. Get a Day Night thermostat, also known as set back thermostat. Use it to bring the heat on before your rising time Your MH (home) will be nice and cozy when you get up. The requirement is that it be bat powered. Since the contacts are only used to bring the furnace on it does not matter that is labeled 24 volt.

George

Retired Plumber

I'm  so glad that Andy posted about the Wave heater's just "taking off the  chill."  I'm in Puerto Penasco and used my Wave 3 heater in the morning  at (shudder) 41 degrees.  It went up only five degrees in an hour.  I  quickly "got smart" and used my furnace for 1/2 hour and now I'm a much  happier (and warmer) camper.  I mistakenly thought that the Wave Heater  would take the place of the furnace, and now I know that's not so.

Cheryl

Re: Kozy World
Reply #51
Yahoo Message Number: 150123
"I have found with my Wave 6 that I have to hold the ignitor in/on at least 2 minutes before I release it and move the dial to H M or Low."

If your heater is on a hose, it may take time for gas to reach it at full pressure. Just a guess...

Andy Baird

Travels with Andy
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #52
Yahoo Message Number: 150124
I have the same issue with my Wave 3. I have to hold starter position down for about 2 minutes and occasionally the unit does a flame up. In other works I will see where it just starts to light than every few seconds you get a flame up. When I release pressure on starter/gas knob the flame ups stop after a few seconds and it runs good. In spite of this I like the heater because it consumes no battery power and I boondock for extended periods sometimes.

Bob

Reply #53
Yahoo Message Number: 150125
"Get a Day Night thermostat, also known as set back thermostat. Use it to bring the heat on before your rising time..."

I would have done this years ago--I had programmable thermostats in all my homes--except for one thing: I'm retired, and I get up when I feel like it. :-)

In short, I don't have a predictable rising time, so a thermostat that cranks up the heat at a set timeevery day wouldn't be helpful. On the other hand, a switch by the head of the bed that lets me turn on the furnace when I wake up--whenever that happens to be--is really useful!

Andy Baird

Travels with Andy
Andy Baird

Reply #55
Yahoo Message Number: 150127
"So it sounds like you have wired in a 24 volt switch to turn on the heater in your houses and RVs?"

Perhaps I wasn't clear. In my houses I had programmable ("setback") thermostats, because that's when I was working 9 to 5 and had a regular waking schedule. Having the thermostat automatically turn up the heat at the same time every weekday worked very well in that situation.

Once I retired and became a full-time RVer, there was no longer any need to follow a schedule (hurrah!), but it was useful to be able to switch on the RV's furnace without getting out of bed and wait for the place to warm up before arising. I didn't need any special switch to accomplish this--just a mini-toggle (SPST) switch from Radio Shack and a pair of wires run from the thermostat's screw terminals back to my bedside over the cab.

Mine is a 2003 midbath that has the older-style mechanical thermostat, making the screw terminals readily accessible. As Jan recently explained in message #150066, newer Lazy Dazes have a thermostat that communicates with the furnace via a telephone-type cable with an RJ-11 modular plug. To implement a remote furnace switch in one of these coaches, you need to run your wires to the furnace rather than to the thermostat.

I didn't do Jan's modification, so I don't know exactly where you make the connection in that case. With the old-style mechanical thermostat, there are only two wires, attached to two screw terminals, so it's easy to see where to connect the wires that will lead to your new remote switch.

These old-style screw terminals also offer an easy way to test your furnace: if it doesn't start up, the first thing to suspect is dirty contacts in your thermostat. To test, bridge the screw terminals with a paperclip, pliers, or any convenient piece of metal. If the furnace blower starts up, you know the thermostat was the problem. A little fine sandpaper or emery cloth will usually clean the oxidation off the contacts and restore normal operation.

Andy Baird

Travels with Andy
Andy Baird

Reply #56
Yahoo Message Number: 150128
It is - a long one. Never thought of that before. That said, there is no pressure regulator in the line. It comes unimpeded from the propane tank. But I understand what you are suggesting.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #57
Yahoo Message Number: 150129
Once I retired and became a full-time RVer,  there was no longer any need to follow a schedule (hurrah!), but it was useful  to be able to switch on the RV's furnace without getting out of bed and wait for  the place to warm up before arising. I didn't need any special switch to  accomplish this--just a mini-toggle (SPST) switch from Radio Shack and a pair of  wires run from the thermostat's screw terminals back to my bedside over the  cab.

Mine is a 2003 midbath that has the  older-style mechanical thermostat, making the screw terminals readily  accessible. As Jan recently explained in message #150066, newer Lazy Dazes have  a thermostat that communicates with the furnace via a telephone-type cable with  an RJ-11 modular plug. To implement a remote furnace switch in one of these  coaches, you need to run your wires to the furnace rather than to the  thermostat.

Andy Baird

After I retired I did not change my timing much at the house. I changed the stat a little but for the most part I still get up about the same time. Start by reading the morning paper. With the set back stat it is about the same and if I over sleep so be it. For the most part when in the camper it is with the ATV group so we all get up about the same time. Some to have briefest together. That is at 6 o'clock as a rule so the set back stat still works great. The camper comes up to temp and the furnace shuts off on it's own at about 60 degree. So if it cost a few penny's more because I sleep in so be it. Here in CO high county all mornings are cold even in July and August. We consider 40 warm so furnace heat in not unusual.
 As for Jan's camper. They changed from the Suburban furnace to the Duo Therm. Then they probably have the Duo Therm A/C. And the Comfort Control Center (stat) will control both A/C  and furnace. In fact there could be a heat pump. For the million dollar MH they have sever A/C units along with the furnace and heat pump. There may be one stat or 2 depending on the size of the MH. To make things very easy to wire and control they have every thing connected together by the phone wire (RJ-11). This makes easy wiring for the camper manufacturer. Run RJ-11 to each unit and just plug in. Furnace, one or 2 A/C and or heat pump; Plug and play you might say.
 On my 2005 LD the stat controls the furnace only. The A/C is manual. My buddy's BIG FOOT has the stat that controls both furnace and air so he may have the Duo Therm equipment.
 In fact in many of the large building they used the RJ-11 system. It would go back to a computer system which ran every thing. I have been out of the construction business since 1988 so where they went since then I have no idea.

George

Retired plumber

BUT ALSO DID HEATING.

Reply #58
Yahoo Message Number: 150130
We used to get up at 7 am so I could get to work. Now that we are retired, we have firm rule: no matter when we wake, we do not get out of bed until 6 AM! Long gone are the days we could sleep in till 8 or 9 am.
I just leap out of bed, up the thermostat, and jump back into bed. The cabover, of course.

"Boondocking" at the Klamath Falls Walmart in 22 deg F weather.

Eric Greenwell
  [lifewithalazydazerv] wrote on 12/29/2014 1:30 PM:
2005 Jayco 24SS

Reply #59
Yahoo Message Number: 150131
GEORGE IN DENVER CO.

LD 2005 24' FD.

After I got done shoveling the snow this morning I came in the house, opened the frig door, and stood there to get warm.  Ha Ha.

For those of you's staying in Quarts Site, AZ, and NV; setting around your Wave heaters:

It is a cool 1 degree here at 3PM 12/30. The temp has not been above FREEZING for 3 days. It is not to go above FREEZING till Saturday and then only to be 37. Tonight it is to go down to -11.  A high night has been 10 for same days.

On shore power. Tonight I'm going to go out and sleep in the MH; I want to see if I can  keep it above 40 degree inside with just a 1500 watt electric heater and have comfortable sleeping. (Survive) When you think about it most home thermostats will only go down to 45 degree; a few will go down to 40. If I can keep the temp above 40 the water should not freeze in the future. (the MH is winterized now) The holding tanks are something else. The trap on the shower is NO problem. If you are in a camp ground electric power is not a problem nor are the holding tanks. Dry camping only the black tank will be a problem. Then use rock salt.

Do you think the 1500 watt electric heater (5,121 BTU) will cut it? ? ? ?  In fact would the 19,000 BTU furnace be able to get the temp above 40? ? ? ? ??

http://www.amazon.com/DeLonghi-DCH1030-Safeheat-Ceramic-Heater/dp/B000G1CXYY#customerReviews

Wave 1 will put out 2800 BTU Wave 2 will put out 5800 BTU DeLonghi-DCH1030 has a 2 heat setting. Low 825 watt (2800 BTU) High 1500 watt (5100 BTU).

I always carry a Honda 1000 gen. With it you can always run the furnace at night and recharge the bat with the Honda later. The Honda is far quitter and cost less to operate than the on-board gen.

George

Retired Plumber
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.