Skip to main content
Topic: Front end vibration... (Read 12 times) previous topic - next topic
Front end vibration...
Yahoo Message Number: 150024
I just had a very trusted mechanic install new front rotors, ceramic pads, new bearings and seals on my new to me 2003 RB, He also installed the four shocks I recently bought directly from Lazy Daze and bled the brake fluid,  When I drove the coach back to the house I had a pronounced "wiggle" in the steering wheel that wasn't there before the work was done.  It seems to start acting erratic and about 30 mph and goes away as I near 55 mph.  Almost feels like the wheels themselves are off center! Could new rotors be so out of balance that they need to be replaced?  Any thoughts before I chat with my mechanic tomorrow are solicited.

Thanks

Fred
Fred K.
2003 RB

Re: Front end vibration...
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 150030
"Any thoughts before I chat with my mechanic tomorrow are solicited."

Fred

Rotors always come balanced.

Assuming the mechanic changed the front brakes and shocks, and did nothing else, the first thing that comes to mind is an out of balance tire, your LD has the classic symptoms.
Not sure how that could happen, maybe the balancing weights got knocked off.

Before rebalancing the wheels,  check the wheel bearing for looseness, the bearing races may not have been seated completely during installation.
I would also re-torque the front wheel lug nuts (140-Lb/Ft).
If you have the tools and knowledge, checking the wheels bearing and lugs nuts can be done at home.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 150031
"Any thoughts before I chat with my mechanic tomorrow are solicited."

Fred

Rotors always come balanced.

Assuming the mechanic changed the front brakes and shocks, and did nothing else, the first thing that comes to mind is an out of balance tire, your LD has the classic symptoms.
Not sure how that could happen, maybe the balancing weights got knocked off.

Before rebalancing the wheels, check the wheel bearings for looseness, the bearing races may not have been seated completely during installation..
I would also re-torque the front wheel lug nuts (140-Lb/Ft).
If you have the tools and knowledge, checking the bearings and lug nuts can be done at home.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 150050
Appreciate all the input..
 Going back into his shop on Monday for a thorough going over... Also going to make sure no tread separation happening and that the tires are balanced.

I'll post results...

Fred

Fred K.
2003 RB

Front end vibration
Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 150026
Fred. Sounds like the new wheel bearings weren't tightened correctly, a  very dangerous situation. Call your mechanic and tell him the symptoms before  you try to move your motorhome again.  RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB