Skip to main content
Topic: Protecting the wall next to the stove in a 2002 26 ft MB (Read 13 times) previous topic - next topic
Protecting the wall next to the stove in a 2002 26 ft MB
Yahoo Message Number: 149821
Hi all,
 I've painted the kitchen area of my 2002 26 ft MB and wish to protect the wall between the stove and the refrigerator. Is it a good idea or a bad idea to use a thin sheet of acrylic or polycarbonate to protect the wall? How should I attach the sheet to the wall?

Thanks in advance

David

--

David Harris
2920 Taper Ave.

Santa Clara, CA 95051

(408) 206-8800
RV: 2002 MB
Toad: 2014 CR-V

Re: Protecting the wall next to the stove in a 2002 26 ft MB
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 149822
Tried that.  The heat from the stove caused the plastic to sag and I instantly decided that it was not a good idea.

What did work was a sheet of 1/16" aluminum cut to fit and held on with screws.  I used a  plain aluminum sheet.  If I had it  to do over, I would look for something with a bit of texture so it would look better.

The area is not square so use cardboard and make a piece that fits like you want.  Then use the cardboard as a pattern to cut the metal.

Linley

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 149823
Linley,

Thank for the Input. What kind of plastic did you use?

David

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 149827
Don't entirely remember (12 year ago).  I believe it was a sheet sold by Home Depot for use as a window in a storm door.  It may have been particularly vulnerable to the heat.

When we lit the burner near it, it visibly sagged.  There was a lot more heat there than I expected so I turned to aluminum which worked out fine except it water spotted and was hard to make it look clean.  I have often wondered why that wall was not protected by the factory.

Linley

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 149828
I would use the polycarbonate.  Drill holes and counter sink for the screws and if you knew someone with a brake you could wrap it around back. It will not melt.

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 149829
Why wouldn't you use stainless steel?
Dale from Downey 27’ 2012 RB,”Casa Verde”, 2000 Jeep Wrangler. Formerly1991 RB & 1990 Jeep Wrangler.

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 149830
There are 2 good ways to do this. 1 is plastic and the other is glass. On another camper I used glass and it is the easiest to clean and take care of.
 On the LD i used plastic and have not had a problem with melting but then I do not use the back burner which is closest to the wall much.
 Glass it the best. But for the LD I could not find a glass shop that would supply a peace at a fair price.
 I later found that both Home Depot and Lowes  had a glass cutting area but one of them got rid of it since and I do not remember which it is. I wish that I had found them before I did the plastic; but I did have the plastic on hand.
 Have them cut the glass to size. It is quite cheap for the glass and the cutting. I think it was even cheaper than plastic. I think all there glass is single strength but it does not make a difference. The camper that I did with glass and friends who have done it this way have not had the glass brake.
 To attach either I use double sided TAPE. Use 3/1 inch squares on each edge (side) and one in the center. That is 9 in all. Glass is the easiest to clean and it will not scrach like plastic.
 They also have a thin plastic "U" strip that you can use on the edges that will hold the glass in place and trim it nice. If you use the edging you will not have to have the sharp edge sanded but it only takes a peace of sand paper to remove that. They have the edging where you get it for shower stall board. It is about 1" on the back side and 1/4 inch on the front side. Slide it over the edge of the glass. You will still use double sided tap to hold the strips.

George

Retired plumber

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 149832
Glass is to dangerous.
Use polycarbonate. Drill and countersink for screws.  Use the cardboard template to mark the cuts you make with a saw.  If you need to bend it around a corner ask a sheetmetal shop to bend it.   Cleans like glass, you cant break it, it wont melt, lighter than glass.
 Also if you want to hang something from it, just drill and tap a hole in the polycarbonate and attach a hook or whatever.

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 149836
When I first read this I thought of glass or poly but I just had a nasty thought.  That wall is presently opaque.  Radiant heat from the burner would hit the wall but not penetrate far.  Being on the surface, the heat could dissipate into the air.  Using a clear material such as glass or polycarbonate would allow penetration of radiant heat with the attendant heating of the wall surface, but the heat would then be trapped behind the clear material.
 I think I would want to do some testing.  I would do it by taking a small piece of glass.  Mark the point on the wall nearest the burner.  Place the glass so the vertical edge of the glass is right at that point.  Turn on the burner under a pan of water.  Every 5 minutes, measure the surface temperature on the bare wall and behind the glass an inch or so off that glass edge.  After 20 minutes, take the glass down and immediately measure both sides again.  That should tell you if using a clear material is a problem or possible cause for concern.
 If a clear material is fine, I would go with glass rather than poly, but I would get tempered glass or whatever the glass shop recommends after describing the use to them.  Thermal stress might crack regular plate glass.  Plastic can yellow from heat over time, and scrubbing the surface may make it cloudy.
 If clear material is a problem, aluminum will spot but brushed aluminum can be restored using a rotary wire brush.  Stainless steel is probably a better choice and is commonly used in kitchens.
 Thinking outside the box, what about ceramic tile?  Ceramic tile is commonly used near stoves in stick houses.  Vibration is a concern - that is a thin wall and will probably be susceptible to quite a bit of movement but a good tile guy might be able to set you up with an adhesive and grout to deal with the vibration issue.  Just a thought...

Ken F in NM
'08 MB

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 149840
Tempered glass is safety glass, the only way to go.  But that means you buy single strength glass, trim to the shape you want it and then send it off to be tempered.
 Again, I would recommend polycarbonate.  It will not yellow, you can cut it, drill it, bend it/shape it with a sheetmetal break, and if you use a 1/4 inch thick piece it is bullet proof.

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 149843
Hi David/Everyone,I didn't think about protecting the wall - are you talking about cooking splatters?  My Lazy Daze has a light colored floral wallpaper that I'm not crazy about.  I plan to paint the bathroom, but for the kitchen area I bought something called "Smart Tiles".  Smart Tiles | Wayfair                             Smart Tiles | Wayfair   Shop Smart Tiles at Wayfair for a zillion options to meet your unique style and budget. Get Free Shipping on most stuff, even big stuff.              View on www.wayfair.com          Preview by Yahoo            The tiles are manufactured in Canada and are made of a gel-like material that is super light and thin.  You prep the wall by cleaning with TSP and the tiles are peel and stick - about 9 X 9 inches.  Since driving a mobile home can be likened to a "rolling earthquake," I think the tiles are an excellent choice for RV's.  I personally chose "Idaho" because I wanted some color. You also might try this:Splatter Shield Kitchen Wall Protector Set of 10                             Splatter Shield Kitchen Wall Protector Set of 10   Shop MTR at the Amazon Kitchen Utensils & Gadgets store. Free Shipping on eligible items. Everyday low prices, save up to 50%.              View on www.amazon.com          Preview by Yahoo            You could also try this:Keeping It Clean | Good Sam Club News                             Keeping It Clean | Good Sam Club News   Travel Tips Keeping It Clean  Print Email July 25, 2011 by Good Sam · 8 Comments  Submitted By Harvey Hetrick of Torrance, Calif...              View on blog.goodsamclub.com          Preview by Yahoo            As for painting the walls, did you (or others) use to paint over wallpaper?  How do you prep the wall, and what type of paint did you use?I went to Home Depot and was advised to use TSP first to clean the area, and then use Glidden "Gripper."  Cheryl1998 Lazy Daze (26.5 mid-bath)
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Cheryl (a.k.a. Desert Diva)
1998 Lazy Daze (26.5 mid-bath)
2002 Honda CR-V

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 149844
While I don't often use the right rear burner, I do want to protect the wall and have gone totally low-tech and almost-zero effort:

Go to the grocery store and find the section where they sell kitchen "accessories."  Buy (usually sold as a 2-pack) a shallow tin foil baking pan...about 8" x 12".  Easily stores in the oven, can be washed/rinsed/wiped.  I lean it against the wall and stovetop...can be positioned any which way and adds virtually zero to the coach's weight.  And when the cooking is done, it goes out of sight.

BTW, I recommend you NEVER use these tin foil pans for cooking...they bend easily and you could end up with a nasty burn and an ugly mess.

Alternatively, should one wish, buy a cookie sheet that will fit in the LD oven and utilize as above.

TinaP 2006 MB....now enjoying FL sun and rain after a leisurely trip from ME to FL...and never saw another LD the whole month-long ramble

Reply via web post •  •  • Start a New TopicMessages in this topic                 (1) Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Groups
right

right

2006 MB

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 149845
Hi Cheryl/All

Thanks for the tips about the tiles and the wall protectors.
 As for painting, my LD has the original wall surface. So I cleaned       the kitchen walls thoroughly with a dilute TSP solution, rinsed       the walls, filled any holes with spackle and painted them with one       coat of a premium semi-gloss paint that included primer. Now the       rest of the walls and ceiling need to be done!!!

Thanks again,

David

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 149846
Hi all,
 Thanks for all the tips of things to do and especially things not to do.  We've decided, for now, to leave the walls as they are and get aluminum cookie sheets to place next to the stove whenever we're using it.

Thanks again,

David

Hi all,
 I've painted the kitchen area of my 2002 26 ft MB and wish to protect the wall between the stove and the refrigerator. Is it a good idea or a bad idea to use a thin sheet of acrylic or polycarbonate to protect the wall? How should I attach the sheet to the wall?

Thanks in advance

David
--

David Harris
2920 Taper Ave.

Santa Clara, CA 95051

(408) 206-8800

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 149847
Tina, You are fantastic - keep it simple - the same pan could be used for organization when not used for splatter control.  You are a gem.  . .   A true keeper.  You have a blessed husband.

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 149849
I carry a double-walled, insulated cookie sheet in the oven all of the time to help to minimize excess heat on the bottom of baked goods.  Never thought to stand it up against the wall, but that is an excellent additional use for it.  I may even use it for cookies one of these days!  ;->

Virtual hugs,

Judie http://dorrieanne.wordpress.com

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 149850
Thanks!  We've kept each other for the 47+ years... no going back now!

TinaP

Connected by DROID on Verizon Wireless
2006 MB

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 149903
About seven years ago, I covered the wall surrounding my 2003 midbath's sink and stove with inexpensive vinyl tile. You can read about it in this Eureka article. Cheap (ten bucks), easy (took less than an hour), and wipes clean with a sponge. No sign of sagging or heat-related problems in the many years of cooking and baking since then.

Andy Baird

Travels with Andy\
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"