Skip to main content
Topic: License Plate mounting for EZ Pass transponder (Read 10 times) previous topic - next topic
License Plate mounting for EZ Pass transponder
Yahoo Message Number: 149810
I know there have been multiple discussions on this topic in the past but can't find anything recent but I know I've lately seen some discussion about how to mount the transponder to avoid being blocked by the cab overhang.  I've had an EZ Pass account in Maryland for many years and just added our 27' MB rig "Tumbleweed" to the account and purchased an exterior-mounted transponder, all for the grand total of $15. Of course we'll be paying the rate for a 2-axle, 6-tire rig but no more fussing with cash and dealing with the slow lanes in the east and NE. In my research it seemed that most states offer the license plate mounted transponder but some require a commercial account for that option. We originally went with a Maryland account since it was a state with no monthly fee; they've now changed that to $1.50 per month if you don't have at least 3 transactions in Maryland in the month.

Harvey "Tumbleweed" 2013 27' MB

Re: License Plate mounting for EZ Pass transponder
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 149811
"I know there have been multiple discussions on this topic in the past but can't find anything recent but I know I've lately seen some discussion about how to mount the transponder to avoid being blocked by the cab overhang. "

Harvey

If not on the front bumper, how about attaching it to the inside of he escape hatch, assuming you do not have an entertainment center.
The plastic hatch will not block the signal and should allow 'seeing' the toll station's overhead transponders.
Our XM's antenna lives under that hatch, for a full view of the sky.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 149813
We've been using EZ Pass in our LD for at least 3 years; we mount it low on the inside of the windshield  below the rear view mirror. Never had a problem with it mounted there. We've been using a small suction cup EZ Pass holder that we bought at PEP Boys to secure it to the windshield.

I think I would be concerned with having it stolen if I had it mounted outside on the license plate bracket.

Even driving through the Chicago area on the toll road where you don't have to stop to pay your toll, it registers just fine.

EZ Pass sure made it more convenient  than reaching out the window to try and get the toll ticket too. Our experience has been that when getting a toll ticket, they must weigh you at the gate and it determines we are a semi tractor trailer and the ticket would dispense from a much higher dispenser. I was using a pair of tongs to try and reach the darn things.

Steve K.
Steve K

2003 Mid-bath

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 149814
I live in N Virginia.  I have the transponder sitting on the dash a few inches from the windshield in our 07 Mid Bath just to the right of being inline with the steering wheel.
It works fine going through toll lanes locally when heading west (I use the toll road to avoid traffic on I66) and going east over the Bay Bridge.  I have the factory dash cover.  The dash cover does a good job of gripping the velcro on transponder so there is no problem with it sliding around.  This way it is also handy if we need it in another car.
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 149815
I lived in Maryland until three months ago...I signed up for an EZ Pass account through Massachusetts.  They provide the transponders for free and don't charge fees for non-use.  Seems like I remember that you could change the account info. online.  So, you could ask for a motorcycle or trailer transponder and then change it to your three axle RV.  They had it set up so that if you got a different vehicle you could "self serve" the change over.  Otherwise, as some have stated the hatches would be a good choice or even under the a/c cover on the roof would work...

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 149816
We went on line and arranged it so it did not matter which pass was in which car.  I do not recall having to do anything special about the RV, as they were worried about the number of axels (no toad here).
We don't move the little pucks  around much but from time to time we will have a battery go dead or my daughter will come home from college (she does not need a pass).  I forget the exact process I did when in the VDOT EZpass web site as it has been awhile - but it was not that difficult.  The rules for RVs might be different in other states.
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

California FastPass
Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 149817
For those traveling in/around California, many toll roads and bridges (like the Golden Gate) now accept/require a FastPass transponder/account.
 We signed up a few years ago for our passenger cars when CalTrans added a toll lane to the Harbor freeway going to downtown LA. Later, we found out the other Calif toll road agencies accepted our special 3-position transponder (3 passengers are free on the Harbor) and started using it for those roads as well.
 However, initially there were some hiccups - due I believe to the position switch - which resulted in receiving a ticket. A quick phone call resulted in finding out a key secret: all you needed to do was mail back the ticket with a copy of your current FastPass account balance, and they would simply deduct the appropriate toll and cancel the ticket.
 The next time this happened was with our RV. This time, even though the transponder had been triggered, I hadn't added the rig's license plate to the FastPast account. So, once again, after making that edit, I mailed back the ticket with our current account information and they deducted the appropriate toll and cancelled the ticket.
 Fast forward to today and I cannot tell you how many times the bunk overhang has blocked the signal, or we forgot to bring the transponder (eg driving a different car), or we ran into an unexpected traffic situation where we re-routed to a toll road without the pass.
 The result? No more tickets! That's right, the agency finally wised up and realized that perhaps they should first check the plate # against their account database. My guess is they were being inundated with paper work that could be easily avoided by simply performing this check first.
 So, I don't know if this info will ever become widely publicized, but it's gotten to the point where I bring the transponder if I **know** I'm going a certain place, but don't sweat it if plans change, or the transponder isn't perfectly positioned in the RV to trigger the device.

K

Re: California FastPass
Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 149819
That's right, the agency finally wised up and realized that perhaps they should first check the plate # against their account database.

• EZ Pass, similar to what you describe but used by 15 states from IL to Maine and down to NC, has used this approach for years. My understanding is every vehicle that goes through an automated toll booth gets it's picture taken in order to ID the license plate. If the transponder didn't register, then the toll agency checks the plate against their data base and deducts the toll. That's why it's important to have all vehicle plates on file. You don't need a transponder for each vehicle, just one transponder per "account", which can include multiple vehicles. One would think this would be standard practice for automated tolling.
John 1994 22' TK

22d footer question
Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 149841
Hi

This is a 22 1993 LD

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/rvs/4790096789.html

The pictures shows two chairs with a table between them.  Can these chairs be removed by just picking them up (looks like according to the pics)?

Can the table that is between them be removed?

Can the sofa be removed and if so, would there be something under it (like tanks) or a flat floor?

The reason I ask is I am handicap and I find that aluminum folding chairs are more comfortable and forgiving than sofas and stuffed chairs.  My favorite sitter is a $40 folding aluminum lounge chair from Costco.  I can sit in it for hours.  In this 22 footer, the chairs would cause me pain in 10 minutes.  The sofa would work with pillows but after an hour it would be painful.  Funny huh?

Thanks

Re: 22d footer question
Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 149842
From the photos, it looks like the fresh water tank and a storage compartment are under the sofa.  There's a vented compartment outside where the side table is -- so that's either the water heater or more likely the batteries.  Someone with this floor plan could tell you more.
 In general, in models that have a table between two chairs, the table framing serves as a structural component that connects the wall to the floor and keeps everything solid.  So removing the table could create problems.
 This model may not serve your needs for more floor space to accomodate the seating you need.

/noel/

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 149852
This may be sold as I checked the site and it's no longer there. The best person to ask this question would be Larry .. I believe he has the same floor plan your talking about.

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 149853
In these models, the fold-down part of the table can be removed, the fixed part of the table holds a vertical propane tank or batteries. The chairs are loose, but those positions have belts bolted to the floor. Removing the chairs leaves you only the cab seats for belted positions. The sofa houses the water tank and outside storage compartments. There is no wasted space.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 149854
The pictures shows two chairs with a table between them.  Can these chairs be removed by just picking them up (looks like according to the pics)?

Can the table that is between them be removed?
 Can the sofa be removed and if so, would there be something under it (like tanks) or a flat floor?"

The chairs can easily be removed.
The table can be removed.
The sofa covers the water tank and cannot be removed.
The compartment between the barrel chairs should contain the coach batteries. Earlier models had contained a 10-gallon propane tank. Check the date on the propane tank. They need to be replaced or tested every 10-12 years.

Larry
Larry

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 149855
"Can the table that is between them be removed?"

A correction to the previous posting.
The flip table can be removed. The fixed table and housing between the chairs contains the coach batteries and cannot be removed.

Larry
Larry