Skip to main content
Topic: Looking for ideas... (Read 7 times) previous topic - next topic
Looking for ideas...
Yahoo Message Number: 149699
After "lurking" here for 2+ years as an SOB owner, I recently purchased a one owner 2003 26.5 RB with 86K miles and, so far, I am delighted with my purchase.

To date I have replaced all the interior lights with LED's to conserve energy usage; did a baseline maintenance - Replaced antifreeze; Mobil 1 oil and filter change; cleaned K&N filter; transmission flush and new filter; new fuel filter; replaced serpentine belt (Kept old one as a spare.), replaced 10 spark plug and wire sets; ordered 4 OE shocks from Lazy Daze and replaced the originals; washed and waxed the unit; cut and placed liners for all the cabinets and drawers.

Still need to install a new multistage converter.

I want to add solar and therefor I need to get back in touch with Larry for his guidance about adding solar so it is done correctly.

Finally, I would like to solicit ideas from other RB owners on how to best utilize the indoor cabinet space. The prior owner had all eating utensils in the drawer under the refrigerator: Not sure I like that. Where do others put eating utensils, dishes, paper products, dry goods, canned goods, cookware, paper products, etc.  Looking forward to receiving plenty of different and great ideas.

Decided to name my LD Zoey Milan after my precious granddaughter! I have a name plate inside and will be looking for a way to put the name on the outside!  I'll be posting pictures soon.

Fred

Havasu01@...
Fred K.
2003 RB

Re: Looking for ideas...
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 149700
Welcome to the group. Glad you got the LD you wanted. A couple remarks. If you want your engine to last longer get rid of the K&N air filter and get the OEM Paper Ford filter. Ask Larry about his experience with K&N Filters.

AM Solar can supply you with a kit that has everything you need for install. Larry installed an AM Solar kit on my LD when I first took ownership. There are cheaper ways to do Solar but the quality and support AM Solar provides are second to none. They offer a nice Solar controller which allows you to divert some power to keep Engine battery charged. You don't have to remember to start motor every week when rig stationary to keep charge up.

Bob

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 149701
Many of us have had solar installations done at AM Solar; the website offers a very good basic primer on understanding and selecting the optimum solar equipment for one's particular uses:

http://www.amsolar.com/home/amr/cpage_9/rv_solar_education.html
   Re: what goes where: each floor plan offers different cabinet and drawer arrangements, configurations, and sizes, so generalizing is difficult. Also, the storage solution/placement which works for one person might make no sense at all to another. I go for as much convenience and ease of access as possible; items used every day (or frequently) need to be handy to reach without bending, using a step stool to reach the rear of a cupboard, moving other items out of the way to get to what one is after, and/or scruffing through bottom compartments. (One exception is canned goods and heavy cookware, e.g., cast iron; IMO, this should be stored in "floor-level" compartments for obvious reasons.)

You had an RV in the past, so you already figured out what worked - and didn't - for you with that layout; you might use your experience as a starting point for the new rig. And, don't be reluctant to change where you put stuff and what you take along; if a location-item match doesn't work, change it. I think that many of us, if not most, do periodic equipment re-arrangements, consolidations, and "purges". (Goes for the exterior compartments, too!)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 149703
When we bought our '04 in 2012, I purchased solar panels from Home Depot - the exact same Grape Solar panels sold by AMSolar, but at a much cheaper price, and no labor costs since I did my own installation. I already had my Morningstar Sunsaver MPPT controller from our previous rig, good for 200 Watts of solar, but many other quality options if you need more.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 149705
Fred, in the first 6 months of fulltiming, I bet I emptied and re-arranged the cabinet contents at least 6 times.  Just today I made a small change in where I store one item.
 As Joan said, use your experience as a starting point, and don't be afraid to make changes as you gain experience with one arrangement.

Ken F in NM
'08 MB

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 149706
Interesting to read posts from Bob Moore and Ken Fears! Bob found me a great deal on spark plugs which I installed and Ken provided me an older GPS for the cost of postage that I am currently installing in Zoey-Milan! Thank you both.

Fred

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 149711
Awesome Fred ! I'm very happy for you. Looking forward to see'n pictures soon. Until then, Happy Trails !

Jo RedRaven

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 149712
I hope your as happy in your rig as as we are. congrats John and Gina 07 Mid Bath
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath